Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM

58,720 posts, read 27,056,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Clean up the NRA. Restart the gun safety programs; start teaching gun safety in the poor areas as well. and get away from the NRA being Whites only.

Get rid of the IRON PIPELINE.

Call out against those pumping racial division.

Educate your self as to actually going on. This means reading from VERIFIED sources. A left leaning but highly factual news website; https://theintercept.com/2019/08/05/...rump-fox-news/

You really need to find out what the NRA DOES do.

"You might want to look up the Eagle Eddy program.

"and get away from the NRA being Whites only." sound very RACIST to me AND very ignorant about NRA members."

YOU first!

"The NRA doesn’t keep track. They’re all gun owners to the NRA, regardless of race.
Here recently, the NRA has been trying to market towards minorities, which I think is a great thing. Besides the fact that it means more members, it breaks up the narrative that gun owners are all a bunch of old white guys.
A famous NRA member and popular Youtuber is Colion Noir.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...e-NRA-is-black

"I’m an African-American NRA Member…Here’s What I Want You to Know About Me"\\
https://www.redstate.com/kiradavis/2...eres-want-know

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-07-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM

88,772 posts, read 44,561,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Motive. El Paso shooter trumpeted Trump's tantrums.
He also trumpeted the mantras of OWSers (Occupy Wall Street), environmental activists, population limit activists, and praised immigrants for helping to build the US. Quite the conundrum.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,271,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Really? I don't want anyone who beats a spouse to have access to a gun. Ever. I'm a gun owner, and have taught firearm safety. That type of person is exactly what a Red Flag law should include.
This is where family must step in. When we lived in a development in Florida, a 68 year old neighbor shot her 72 year old invalid husband in his wheelchair. She then proceeded to shoot up her entire house. People were shocked.

However, there were signs. Their children afterwards said it. She was super paranoid about somebody breaking into her house. Talked all the time about needing to protect herself. Slept with a loaded gun under her pillow. This was in no way a high crime area. Many in the development never locked their doors.

Imagine the grief their children experienced, especially knowing their Dad's death could have prevented by taking away Mom's gun when she clearly needed counseling? Dementia maybe? Outcome? Mom was committed.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,507,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I can see the point of my post flew right over your head.

There are laws against DUI and texting while driving, etc., but there are still MANY TIMES more deaths related to both than there are deaths in mass shootings.

The 20,000+ gun control laws already don't stop firearm homicides.

Laws don't work because criminals don't obey them, only the law-abiding do.
Ive tried to explain this so many times, I dont understand why people cannot seem to grasp this?!

Heroin is 100% illegal to possess, buy or sell...and yet our state has a major heroin epidemic going on!!

Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"turn in assault guns" can't turn in something that does NOT EXIST!

Just because ignorant people CLAIM a certain gun is an "assault weapon", does NOT make it so.

Every state that has done so, uses cosmetics to describe them which has NOTHING to do with the capabilities of the gun itself.

"We are in a war zone and we may be losing battles and the war." So in your mind the private citizen should have a LESS effective gun then the one your are fighting!
Aside from the incorrect nomenclature, blue states like NY and CT tried the voluntary gun relinquishment route and only had a 4% or less compliance rate. In blue states. Even Dems won't give up their guns. Ponder that...

Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,560,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I can see the point of my post flew right over your head.

There are laws against DUI and texting while driving, etc., but there are still MANY TIMES more deaths related to both than there are deaths in mass shootings.

The 20,000+ gun control laws already don't stop firearm homicides.

Laws don't work because criminals don't obey them, only the law-abiding do.
Don't anti gun laws in Japan work quite well?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 AM

34,172 posts, read 18,471,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Japan is a homogenous, strict culture that operates like a police state. Their suicide rate is higher than the U.S. Horrible analogy, intended to deceive, but didn't expect honesty from you.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Gun laws work best in countries that have largely homogeneous populations, which the US does not have.

As I said, blue states like NY and CT tried the voluntary gun relinquishment route and only had a 4% or less compliance rate. In blue states. Even Dems won't give up their guns. Ponder that...

Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 AM

50,144 posts, read 46,793,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Japan is a homogenous, strict culture that operates like a police state. Their suicide rate is higher than the U.S. Horrible analogy, intended to deceive, but didn't expect honesty from you.
And an island with natural boundaries.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,636,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That kind of reminds me of air combat exercises we ran in the mid 80s to prove whether it's possible to protect a high value airborne asset--like an AWACS--from a concerted enemy fighter attack.

Essentially, it wasn't possible to keep at least one lone fighter from getting a missile launched at that fat, slow AWACS.

That's about the same problem faced by an "overwatch" of a huge gathering, parcularly when you can't control the patrons as thoroughly as passengers going onto an aircraft can be controlled, and the environment won't remain as secluded from the outside as an airplane at 30,000 feet is excluded from the outside.

We can body-search ever passenger, get them sealed in the plane, and put the plane at 30,000 feet out of reach of bad guys. There. Safe (unless someone has an illegal GRAIL missile in his car).

But we can't body-search every patron in a Walmart, seal it up, and then put the Walmart out of reach of any bad guys.
Your analogy of the AWACS is spot on. I used to fly C121s commonly called "superconnies" out of Argentia Newfoundland back in the early 60s. The one's with the huge radar dome underneath. Also P2v7 Neptunes with the JATO assist to get those mothers off the ground.
It was caller Barrier Patrol and we flew over the North Pole and back on 24 hr shifts. We always knew we'd get it first if TSHTF and there was nothing we could do about it.
Some of our support came from Goose Bay, Labrador.

Wasn't so bad though, about every 10 days we'd fly one to LASY Lockheed Aircraft Service in Idlewild, NY and party for 3 days in NYC while the bird got serviced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies