Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
What responsibility do the drug companies have ? And the Media? Where is the discussion regarding the Dayton shooter? Every week in Chicago?
Why doesn't Canada have the problem the USA has?

Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canada isn't as angry as the United States, and their anger tends to be aimed more at non-Canadians, or people from other parts of Canada, rather than their neighbors.

But I do think hate is rising in Canada. And the more it becomes like America, the more it will become like America.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:30 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Because their entire population is equal to california, but with a much larger space. And less diversity.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obey the laws and don't commit crimes.

You cannot control the behavior of crazy people.
You cannot completely, but you could at least lessen the opportunity for them to inflict wide-scale damage. That's what countries with sane policies try to do. Here it seems like we want to make it as easy for crazy people as possible. Even just reducing to regular handgun ownership would be a step up at this point.

And that's the key point. With things like diseases, medical errors, car accidents, air travel safety etc. we at least TRY to continually reduce fatalities. We don't just throw up.our hands and say "well, we cannot get to zero, so why bother)?"

With guns, we have already given up because some hick who thinks he can stand up to a tyrannical government whenever he feels like it has a hard-on for military-style assault rifles.

The problem here is not the crazy people; it's the gun-obsessed.

Last edited by ambient; 08-20-2019 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Canada isn't as angry as the United States, and their anger tends to be aimed more at non-Canadians, or people from other parts of Canada, rather than their neighbors.

But I do think hate is rising in Canada. And the more it becomes like America, the more it will become like America.
We certainly don't have the mass shootings the US has. Same video games, same mental health issues, but no gun culture like in the US, although I bet each of my neighbors, like me, have at least a .22, a hunting rifle and a shotgun.

We use them to kill critters, not people.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Because their entire population is equal to california, but with a much larger space. And less diversity.
Less diverse?

Canada has a huge diverse population, and it is growing. Multiculturalism is a hallmark of the country, and has been for 50 years.

90% of Canadians live inside of 100 miles of the USA border. The rest of the country is mostly empty.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:54 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You cannot completely, but you could at least lessen the opportunity for them to inflict wide-scale damage. That's what countries with sane policies try to do. Here it seems like we want to make it as easy for crazy people as possible. Even just reducing to regular handgun ownership would be a step up at this point.

And that's the key point. With things like diseases, medical errors, car accidents, air travel safety etc. we at least TRY to continually reduce fatalities. We don't just throw up.our hands and say "well, we cannot get to zero, so why bother)?"

With guns, we have already given up because some hick who thinks he can stand up to a tyrannical government whenever he feels like it has a hard-on for military-style assault rifles.

The problem here is not the crazy people; it's the gun-obsessed.
See this post ^

And this is why this discussion will never go anywhere...both sides are so far apart that it will never be tackled, I believe.

These shootings will go on and on and on...welcome to the new normal.

Personally I think "progressivism" is to blame for much of this. As society has moved further and further left, shootings have gone up and up.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
We certainly don't have the mass shootings the US has. Same video games, same mental health issues, but no gun culture like in the US, although I bet each of my neighbors, like me, have at least a .22, a hunting rifle and a shotgun.

We use them to kill critters, not people.
As I said, you don't have the level of hate in Canada as we have in America. Everyone hates each other here. It has nothing to do with video games, and very little to do with mental health.

Almost none of these shooters are even mentally-ill. At worst they might be diagnosed with depression, but they are only depressed because they are unhappy with the world they live in and feel powerless to change it.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Less diverse?

Canada has a huge diverse population, and it is growing. Multiculturalism is a hallmark of the country, and has been for 50 years.

90% of Canadians live inside of 100 miles of the USA border. The rest of the country is mostly empty.
1) Canada is absolutely less-diverse than America. And Canada's diversity is almost-entirely in just a few cities.

2) Canada's influx of non-white immigration is really only a few decades old, and most of it has come fairly recently.

3) Mass-immigration to Canada is leading to a backlash, just like everywhere else in the world it is happening. Hate is rising everywhere, Canada is no exception. Give it some time and you'll be the next New Zealand.

https://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/fea...wing-in-canada

Old 08-21-2019, 01:32 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
I have a theory. Families don't turn in their psychotic children with guns because with the mental health laws, their "kids" can only be committed involuntarily for 72 hours. I think they're afraid that their nutjob kid (and "kid" these days seems to go until you are 26) making threats will come home and kill or hurt them when he's released in 3 days. I say that 72 hour thing needs to be changed to embolden families to call authorities to get the "kid" out of the house, committed longer and have the guns taken from him.

And if the paperwork is prohibitive, change that, too.

Not sure if that 72 hr thing is state or federal law.

Have we ever seen a mass shooter who is under 26 and NOT still living with his parents?

Won't take care of people like the Las Vegas shooter but we still have no idea why he did what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies