U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the media be restricted when reporting mass murderers?
Yes. 18 28.57%
No. The 1st Amendment trumps a few dead children. 43 68.25%
I donít know. 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:56 PM

19,207 posts, read 9,786,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety."

Not true at all. Some, maybe many, picture themselves as Warriors for White Nationalism. They say so themselves.

The very idea that YOU are saying that they want ONE thing, when they clearly say another, is ridiculous.
Thanks for proving my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The media has a duty to report the news and a free press is esential in any democracy.

The murderers name might be witheld as not to give them any publicity, however beyond that media censorship is a dangrous path to follow.
LOL! They have a duty to make money!

Old 08-04-2019, 01:59 PM

72,531 posts, read 84,315,041 times
Quote:
Are they forcing you to watch it?

I haven't watched or read a single article about either. I don't watch horror movies either.

I don't read the obits too often...either.

What you put your attention into...you will get more of.

Personal disipline and responsibility. I don't watch TV at all. Zero.
That is your choice to make, but most of us enjoy TV and would like to turn it on without watching 24/7 coverage. Not watching TV pretty much limits your knowledge of what is really going on in the world. You can only gain so much from newspapers and/or magazines. Most lean one side or the other. TV gives you a cross section.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:06 PM

19,139 posts, read 9,866,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sick and tired of the murders and the media frenzy over mass murders.

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

And the disgusting media is feeding off the murderers to profit.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.
I hate to restrict speech but I'm almost willing to try anything that will work to stop the madness.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I hate to restrict speech but I'm almost willing to try anything that will work to stop the madness.
This actually works not like other ďproposals.Ē

Old 08-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Are they forcing you to watch it?

I haven't watched or read a single article about either. I don't watch horror movies either.

I don't read the obits too often...either.

What you put your attention into...you will get more of.

Personal disipline and responsibility. I don't watch TV at all. Zero.
Did anybody force you to buy firearms?

Old 08-04-2019, 03:13 PM

9,530 posts, read 2,900,716 times
Quote:

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.
Reporting it is not the problem. We need to know what motivates people to do this. Sadly, even when we know, there is a refusal to deal with it.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:37 PM

16,317 posts, read 4,293,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is your choice to make, but most of us enjoy TV and would like to turn it on without watching 24/7 coverage. Not watching TV pretty much limits your knowledge of what is really going on in the world. You can only gain so much from newspapers and/or magazines. Most lean one side or the other. TV gives you a cross section.
No, just like shooters don't do it for "one" thing, neither do the majority of Americans get their news from TV.....it had fell below 50% a few years back.

But certain populations do....definitely:

"For example, just 8% of those ages 18 to 29 often get news from network TV, compared with 49% of those 65 and older."

The idea that watching TV news makes one more informed is contrary to every study. Those who watch the most popular "news" media (Fox, MSNBC, etc.) actually answered questions less accurately than those who don't.

It might be accurate to phrase it as "those of us who don't like to read or do the work of understanding the world in context often like bimbos and bullies to tell us what to think while we recline in our Lazy-Boy"...or something of the sort.

A thread such as this seems to indicate they don't even want to use the remote control to choose another channel....

Old 08-04-2019, 03:40 PM

16,317 posts, read 4,293,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Of course you are. That's exactly how authoritarianism works.

"Try anything"....like electing a bully and a white nationalist. Like stocking up on a lot of guns and ammo.....or like studying the conspiracy sites. Gotta find an answer because we refuse to accept the obvious.

Trying to solve the "gun" problem given the mindset of many here would be like having a culture where we each threw $100 bills out the window all day and then attempted "to do anything" to make sure people didn't pick up what isn't theirs.

Possible? Of course not. The "problem" is never going to go away given the lack of will to attack the actual problem. Human nature.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM

8,382 posts, read 9,878,536 times
Quote:

I'm sick and tired of gun nuts having unfettered access to weapons of mass destruction and wiping out swaths of innocent people. How about we deal with that root cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or