Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the media be restricted when reporting mass murderers?
Yes. 18 28.57%
No. The 1st Amendment trumps a few dead children. 43 68.25%
I don’t know. 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I love how Trump supporters want to get rid of the 1st Amendment as well as freedom of the press. I guess they are tired of the media showing how violent Trump supporters really are.
People have always been violent. Now consumers of the media want news of every outrageous thing a person has said in order to justify their hate of a particular group. When saying outrageous things doesn't get you the attention you want, you take it up a step further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Reporting it is one thing, but they beat it to death. Much of what they repeat endlessly is totally predictable.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Murdoch, the owner of the West, would not like this.

He has made his fortunes and power and become State TV in many countries by "if it bleeds, it leads".

This question is silly - the fact that Fascists both here and abroad would even consider putting restrictions on the Press just shows how far down "brown shirt lane" many have gone.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Reporting it is one thing, but they beat it to death. Much of what they repeat endlessly is totally predictable.
Are they forcing you to watch it?

I haven't watched or read a single article about either. I don't watch horror movies either.

I don't read the obits too often...either.

What you put your attention into...you will get more of.

Personal disipline and responsibility. I don't watch TV at all. Zero.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sick and tired of the murders and the media frenzy over mass murders.

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

And the disgusting media is feeding off the murderers to profit.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.
The media has a duty to report the news and a free press is esential in any democracy.

The murderers name might be witheld as not to give them any publicity, however beyond that media censorship is a dangrous path to follow.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sick and tired of the murders and the media frenzy over mass murders.

We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety. The media reporting is feeding them precisely what they want and continuing to inspire more mass murderers.

And the disgusting media is feeding off the murderers to profit.

Restrict the media from reporting mass murderers and we can fix this problem one for all.

No way. Restricting the media from reporting about mass murders won't fix anything. Everybody is responsible and guilty of talking too much, not just media. Just by posting this topic of discussion here via this media of communication - an internet forum - you have just made yourself responsible for talking too much about mass murderers, along with everyone here who is responding to you, myself included.

You would need to remove the murderer's ability to receive and send communication from and to all the rest of the world. You would have to deprive them of all access to all of the media including social media because social media is just as responsible as mainstream media for blabbing too much and not knowing when to keep the big mouth shut. Because nobody knows how to shut up and be discreet any more, everybody thinks they have something extremely important to say and wants the whole world to hear it.

That means changing everything to deprive EVERYBODY of communication capability, no more internet forums, no facebook, no twitter, no millions of blogs or newspaper publications dominated by opinionated talking heads, take away everyone's cell phones, computers, radios, TV's and any other forms of social communication.

Ain't gonna happen, right? And I'm afraid it's too late for people to learn to be more discreet about what they say on the world wide web. Everybody thinks they should have some kind of god given right to say whatever they want. The big blabber mouthed genie got let out of the bottle too long ago and now nobody knows how or when to shut up.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:02 PM

We can make a safe assumption that some of those who voted to close down the media also complain about the lack of free speech.

It's also likely that many of them would approve of the China-type internet. After all, why stop with the "media". The Internet is "the media", therefore it will be illegal for people to post things on the internet.

China has the tech to sell us...all in one. It is off the shelf and ready to go.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM

"We all know that the mass murderers want one thing and one thing only: notoriety."

Not true at all. Some, maybe many, picture themselves as Warriors for White Nationalism. They say so themselves.

The very idea that YOU are saying that they want ONE thing, when they clearly say another, is ridiculous.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Dems use them as political talking points,, they don't care about the victims.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why would you not report it. Delete the bistirds name - that’s all
reporting is one thing, 24/7 almost coverage is quite another. Even with out mentioning a name the AH is getting the attention he or she so wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies