Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 12:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

I would argue that this is not true.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.
The government is already abusive... They steal from one group to give to another.... I thought you said they wouldn't be abusive.... At some point, I would rather be holding an AK-47 then rely on your opinions....

Old 08-06-2019, 12:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There never was. It was symbolic and that's it. Everyone still bought them from 1994 - 2004.

Any new "ban" will be exactly the same. There is one in CA right now and I just bought another one. A Federal ban will be no different. Everyone screaming for a ban are just wasting time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...metic_features
What was the point of making new security measures against extremist muslim violence after 9/11? It happened again. What is the point of banning abortions? Go to the next state and you can get one. Maybe you were able to figure out a way around the ban, but mass shootings decreased during that period. It worked.

Most Americans are sick and tired of the crying and moaning by a minority of the country--gun enthusiasts--while people are mowed down in churches, schools, theaters, on highways, in malls and now, Walmart.

We just have to make sure they close the gun manufacturer loopholes this time. I think people are just mad as hell and aren't going to take it any more.

"....Despite its limited duration, studies show that the federal assault weapons ban resulted in a marked decrease in the use of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines in crime. One study found that in several major cities, the share of recovered crime guns that were assault weapons declined by at least 32% after the federal ban was adopted...."

"The two-feature test and the inclusion of some purely cosmetic features created a loophole that allowed manufacturers to successfully circumvent the law by making minor modifications to the weapons they already produced. The law also did not prohibit the continued transfer or possession of assault weapons manufactured before the law’s effective date. Manufacturers took advantage of this loophole by boosting production of assault weapons in the months leading up to the ban, creating a legal stockpile of these guns..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30188421

Old 08-06-2019, 12:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
What was the point of making new security measures against extremist muslim violence after 9/11? It happened again. What is the point of banning abortions? Go to the next state and you can get one. Maybe you were able to figure out a way around the ban, but mass shootings decreased during that period. It worked.

Most Americans are sick and tired of the crying and moaning by a minority of the country--gun enthusiasts--while people are mowed down in churches, schools, theaters, on highways, in malls and now, Walmart.

We just have to make sure they close the gun manufacturer loopholes this time. I think people are just mad as hell and aren't going to take it any more.

"....Despite its limited duration, studies show that the federal assault weapons ban resulted in a marked decrease in the use of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines in crime. One study found that in several major cities, the share of recovered crime guns that were assault weapons declined by at least 32% after the federal ban was adopted...."

"The two-feature test and the inclusion of some purely cosmetic features created a loophole that allowed manufacturers to successfully circumvent the law by making minor modifications to the weapons they already produced. The law also did not prohibit the continued transfer or possession of assault weapons manufactured before the law’s effective date. Manufacturers took advantage of this loophole by boosting production of assault weapons in the months leading up to the ban, creating a legal stockpile of these guns..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30188421
I have 30 AKs on order as well as a crate of Bushmaster ARs. Where there is hysteria, there is profit.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:57 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Crazy people can do less damage if they couldn’t get their hands on a gun...
TRANSLATION: If we ban all guns owned by law-abiding people who never broke any law with or about them, and forcibly confiscate them when their rightful owner doesn't want to cooperate, until there are no guns left, THEN crazy people will do less damage.

The end justifies the means. Let's do it.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:15 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Define a tyrannical government and the need of citizens to protect themselves? You would never get a divided country to agree on what that would be.

Take away your guns and 2nd Amendment rights? Think you could get the entire country to agree on that? What would you do with those who don't agree with you?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:22 PM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
So, just to summarize:
- we can't ban assault weapons
- we can't repeal 2A
- we can't control the nut cases

Sounds like we just need to learn to live with the consequences. So be sure to hug your kids every morning as it may be the last time you see them.

So, are these nut cases something new ? Have they always been around ? The same firearms have been around, with less restrictions for 50 or more years. So why now are we having weekly mass shootings ? What changed ?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
I am not worried about a ban. Just like above posters said there are many ways to work around the bans. All firearms will be grandfathered in. The newly manufactured rifles will have some slight modifications to make them look less scary. For all my firearms I have multiple large capacity magazines. I probably pick up another 3k in ammo to add to the thousands I already have. Last time I was at the gun shows was before Trump got elected. Many thought Hillary was going to win. It was wall to wall people. Some of them you would never think would own a firearm. Yet there they were.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
So, just to summarize:
- we can't repeal 2A

Sounds like we just need to learn to live with the consequences. So be sure to hug your kids every morning as it may be the last time you see them.
I do that every day cause I came to that conclusion about 20 years ago.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
So, just to summarize:
- we can't repeal 2A

These mass shootings, despite media sensationalism, are incredibly rare. Especially in a country of 350million. Now, every innocent killed senselessly is a tragedy - especially if it's someone you know.

But, to put things into perspective:

Around 400 Americans die in a mass-shooting every year (most mass-shootings are not of the type covered by the media, but involve gangland slayings).

Over 10,000 Americans will die due to an alcohol-induced traffic accident.

Almost 6,000 Americans will die every year due to texting while driving.

Almost 4,000 Americans (mostly kids) will drown every year in a swimming pool.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: If we ban all guns owned by law-abiding people who never broke any law with or about them, and forcibly confiscate them when their rightful owner doesn't want to cooperate, until there are no guns left, THEN crazy people will do less damage.

The end justifies the means. Let's do it.
After many of the confiscators do not return home to their families and are put in a 3x6 hole, it will end. No one is going to be volunteering to go on a suicide mission to take the people arms, they are going to be shooting back with.
Concord & Lexington didn't teach the Authoritarians anything? Hell no. they were not the one ordered to go take the guns and do their dirty work. They got killed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies