U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 01:28 PM

7,154 posts, read 5,031,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, are these nut cases something new ? Have they always been around ? The same firearms have been around, with less restrictions for 50 or more years. So why now are we having weekly mass shootings ? What changed ?
Ready access to the internet, which gives conspirists (mostly right wing, but some left) a platform to spread misinformation to the ill-informed. We've always had the "left leaning media" that you all hate so much, but the internet has given a voice to the Alex Jones, the Breitbarts, and the other nut-jobs of the world.

Trump in office is, as they say, a symptom of the bigger issue. That he is now in the white-house only contributes to a problem that has been festering for 40+ years. He is not the origin of the problem, just the turbo-charger. Now all these White Nationalists and White Supremicists feel empowered, and feel vindicated when their talking points are coming from the highest office of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 01:30 PM

67,099 posts, read 34,147,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There never was. It was symbolic and that's it. Everyone still bought them from 1994 - 2004.

Any new "ban" will be exactly the same. There is one in CA right now and I just bought another one. A Federal ban will be no different. Everyone screaming for a ban are just wasting time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...metic_features

Feel good laws, are meant for the over sensitivity of Democrats. They are that dumb.
They think by them being offended, they are right. LOL!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 PM

55,896 posts, read 74,921,741 times
I do see an oppressive government beating down people -the EU is not an elected government and the people are rising up against it
Since when does the oath of a man just sworn in at the tiajuana border army recruiter mean I am free from oppression
He wants a green card that is all

Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 PM

11,641 posts, read 2,885,432 times
Get rid of all the corrupt Swamp creatures and maybe we could trust our government. Start with term limits.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:51 PM

11,719 posts, read 8,542,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Life goes on.... Unless you run on feelings.
All those people and NO ONE returned fire.... That is the sad part.
When are people going to realize, when you leave you home, you are in the theater of war and you may not be able to recognize the enemy.
Gun, knife, club, or bare hands, does their weapon really matter, when it is aimed at you?
When you leave home you are in a theater of war, and your fellow citizen is the enemy?

This is as scary as what my mom told me about seeing lynchings when she was a kid.

Doubt my little rifles will be any use against what these guys think is their G-d given right to use.

But those folks who burned Black Wall Street and Rosewood are as scary as any invading hoard of Muslims or Mexicans.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:55 PM

5,167 posts, read 2,272,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, are these nut cases something new ? Have they always been around ? The same firearms have been around, with less restrictions for 50 or more years. So why now are we having weekly mass shootings ? What changed ?
The internet. The "web".

Old 08-06-2019, 03:24 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Do you think the Armenians would have liked AK47s about 100 years ago or are you on Turkeys side?

It was 80 years ago that our government threw over 100,000 people of Japanese descent into prison because they were Japanese. I didn't see the military defend them. When you don't have weapons you have little choice. They make anyone think twice.
Excellent point!

Eric Swalwell (D) Congressman and former Democrat candidate for president from California threatened to use nuclear weapons against his fellow citizens. Swalwell advocated for a mandatory Australian style gun buy back program with criminal penalties and incarceration for those who refuse to comply.

Quote:
That time Eric Swalwell threatened to go nuclear on gun ...
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ners-literally
That time Eric Swalwell threatened to go nuclear on gun owners. ... The congressman and soon-to-be-one-time 2020 Democratic candidate also expressed support for prosecuting gun owners who refuse ...

Rather than address Biggs’ fear, or argue that his concerns are overblown, Swalwell reminded the dissenter that the U.S. government has nuclear warheads and that, if push comes to shove, they can be used on noncompliant citizens. The congressman responded: “And it would be a short war my friend. The government has nukes. Too many of them. But they’re legit. I’m sure if we talked we could find common ground to protect our families and communities.”

Old 08-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Crazy people can do less damage if they couldn’t get their hands on a gun...absolutely no way it creates more violence. Violence of some sort will always exist but it doesn’t mean you can’t reduce it.
You're never gonna' reduce it by surrendering your civil liberties. Even those you don't agree with. If they can get rid of one then they can get rid of them all. That's why we have the 2nd Amendment in the first place.

Quote:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".--Ben Franklin

Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I always like when progressives say that people don't need to have semi automatic weapons to protect themselves from the government going rogue because the government would kill them with bombs and missiles and tanks if it wanted to. Yikes.
But I'm on record saying that we don't have to fear the military and the military would side with the American people if it came down to the government deciding it no longer likes America being free.
What does cause the deep state to wet their beds is the thought of armed US citizens being able to stand up against theirgoon squads when confronted by them.
Indeed!

It's highly unlikely that the Pentagon's arsenal would be used against American civilians. If so the military would be destroying their own friends, family and neighborhoods. There would be absolutely nothing left for them to come back to. Not only that but if the civilian population were destroyed who'd supply the military with supplies? There'd be nobody left to work the factories and farm the fields. All commerce would come to a grinding halt. My guess is that they would disobey orders, and in all probability would use those weapons against those that ordered them to do so.

About the only way they could possibly do it would be to go on house to house searches where they would be met with overwhelming and fierce resistance. As the armed civilian population at around 100 million or so would vastly outnumber government forces. The United States with it's superior military force couldn't beat back the North Vietnamese, short of using nuclear weapons. In which case there would have been a third world war and the end of all life as we know it.

A large percent of active duty and retired military and law enforcement personal are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional Law. It wouldn't surprise me if they joined forces with the civilian population that takes up arms in the fight against a tyrannical form of government.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:32 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,103,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
When you leave home you are in a theater of war, and your fellow citizen is the enemy?

This is as scary as what my mom told me about seeing lynchings when she was a kid.

Doubt my little rifles will be any use against what these guys think is their G-d given right to use.

But those folks who burned Black Wall Street and Rosewood are as scary as any invading hoard of Muslims or Mexicans.
That is twice today I have seen/heard a reference to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxgYL5pnmr8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies