U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,103,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Do you think the Armenians would have liked AK47s about 100 years ago or are you on Turkeys side?

It was 80 years ago that our government threw over 100,000 people of Japanese descent into prison because they were Japanese. I didn't see the military defend them. When you don't have weapons you have little choice. They make anyone think twice.
That never leaves my mind because I grew up about 15 miles from one location and about 30 miles from another. There was also a small Italian POW camp near my college.

The courts didn't even defend them - https://www.uscourts.gov/educational...korematsu-v-us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 03:58 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That's ridiculous.

Do you know how much damage I could cause with 10 gallons of gas? How about 1lb of aluminum bar, an old car fender and an arclight on a timer switch? How about 10 gallons of Clorox and a gallon of distilled vinegar?

Fortunately I'm not crazy, because every now an again I do question my sanity (and crazy people don't think they're crazy), and I don't try the same thing another time and expect different results.
In the Happyland Fire of 1990, 87 people were killed with what was a dollars worth of gasoline, a container and a match. That's 28 more than what Paddock killed with a bunch of AR-15's equipped with bump stocks, and thousands of rounds of ammunition, firing into a crowd of people from his 32nd floor hotel window.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:00 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The U.S. govt has manpower and weapons that no home arsenal would stand a chance against.
This concept of defending yourself from the government is a freaking joke.
That comment is a joke.

Let me put it to you this way. It's highly unlikely that the Pentagon's arsenal would be used against American civilians. If so the military would be destroying their own friends, family and neighborhoods. There would be absolutely nothing left for them to come back to. Not only that but if the civilian population were destroyed who'd supply the military with supplies? There'd be nobody left to work the factories and farm the fields. All commerce would come to a grinding halt. My guess is that they would disobey orders, and in all probability would use those weapons against those that ordered them to do so.

About the only way they could possibly do it would be to go on house to house searches where they would be met with overwhelming and fierce resistance. As the armed civilian population at around 100 million or so would vastly outnumber government forces. The United States with it's superior military force couldn't beat back the North Vietnamese, short of using nuclear weapons. In which case there would have been a third world war and the end of all life as we know it.

You seem to forget that a large percent of active duty and retired military and law enforcement personal are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional Law. It wouldn't surprise me if they joined forces with the civilian population that takes up arms in the fight against a tyrannical form of government.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM

5,619 posts, read 8,983,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Civilians never had such easy access to this amount of firepower, why do they need these types of weapons.
These weapons have been available to civilians for over 40 years. Blame the gun if you want to but there is something else driving these mass killings of strangers.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM

27,018 posts, read 11,344,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There is also no legal right to not carry a firearm, if there were then lots of people who fought war in places such as Vietnam might have just said no I don't want to carry a gun when they were intially conscripted.kill 9 people in 26 seconds, indeed at the time of the Second Amendment guns were largely clumsy muskets.
Of course there is. No one can be forced to carry a gun. Again you don't understand rights.

Quote:
As for firearms, most countries don't have this debate, indeed people can have guns for sport, hunting, pest control etc, however these guns are restricted in terms of sei-automatic centre fire weapons that can be used to commit massacres.
And most countries don't have our form of government either.

Quote:
You can carry out all the above activities without weapons that can kill 9 people in 26 seconds, indeed at the time of the Second Amendment guns were largely clumsy muskets.
Individuals had cannons back then.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 PM

2,146 posts, read 448,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can you outline the fundamental difference between an AK47 and <insert any semi-auto rifle here>?
AK47 can fire fully automatic. AR15 can't, SKS can't. Mini-14 can't......

Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 PM

27,018 posts, read 11,344,814 times
Quote:
Road deaths have declined in many countries including my own due to compulsory seat belt laws, increased speed restrictions, speed calming measures and speed cameras espoecially near schools, as wel as better car technology and improved testing in relation to fitness to drive. There as been a 40% reduction in road deaths in the last decade due to these meaures and numerous other such measures.

New report says UK roads are still the safest in Europe | Autocar

UK roads remain amongst safest in EU | United Kingdom

In terms of the last figures avialable, 25,000 people died in road deaths in Europe in 2016, whilst 38,000 died as a result of guns in the US.

America's gun culture in charts - BBC News - BBC.com
Driving isn't a right. Self protection is.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 2,583,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
AK47 can fire fully automatic. AR15 can't, SKS can't. Mini-14 can't......
Not AK-47 style semiautos. The difference between the semiautomatic AK47 and AR15 clones is the ammunition used. AK47s fire the 7.62x39mm round and the AR-15 fire either 5.56NATO or .223 caliber round.

The true AK-47 assault rifle, like a true 5.56 NATO/.223 assault rifle or a 7.62x51mm/.308 assault rifle has selective fire, which can be semiauto, automatic and some have a burst auto, which is typically 3 rounds.

If you see someone at the range with an AK-47 style weapon, it is a short stroke, gas piston platform chambered for 7.62x39mm. It is not automatic, unless they drove up to the range in a Ferrari and can afford $20k range toys.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM

33,526 posts, read 14,133,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Word it however you want. Still meaningless.
If they really added some teeth to the ban it would not be meaningless.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 PM

35,698 posts, read 32,461,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If they really added some teeth to the ban it would not be meaningless.
I'm not quite sure which part you don't understand. If they go after center fire or semi auto they will be found immediately unconstitutional. The more so the faster it will be railroaded to SCOTUS and reversed/eliminated. It's pretty much that simple. I already outlined what options your team has and the almost impossible outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies