U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,605,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I own about a dozen. All for sale. But only when antigun idiots get into office. Then I will sell them at a substantial markup.

Any weapon I can assault you with is an assault weapon.

Your premise is foolish.
His entire post was a the naive blathering of somebody who doesn’t even begin to have a clue what is going on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 PM

67,099 posts, read 34,147,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

I would argue that this is not true.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.
Just last week you guys were screaming, Trump has concentration camps, then you have a brilliant idea this week, it would not be good to have the same arms as those wanting to put you in a concentration camp.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 PM

60 posts, read 14,097 times
Quote:
Many people say that we need the right to own weapons such as an AK47 so that we can protect ourselves from an abusive government.

1...Our military takes an oath to defend the constitution or in other words the rights of the people. In Nazi Germany they took an oath to Hitler, etc...not the rights of the people. Our military is staffed by good people overall who hold the protection of the constitution in high value.

2...In similar countries with similar constitutional values like France, the UK, Australia....which have reduced gun rights...you don't see an oppressive government beating up the people. Because as above, the military would turn on the government if it ever did that.

3...The military has high tech weapons and vehicles...an AK47 wouldn't be effective for fighting against that either.

4...The same reason that many don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons is the same reason that many don't want anyone to have AK47s. The more weapons of mass destruction out there the more likely they are to fall into wrong hands and be used for evil.
First let me say our country is not about what you need. I don't choose to live in a country where the government can tell me what I can have based on my needs. Over and over it is proven governments will lower what they consider needs for the common man, in order to add to the wants and desires of the ruling class. The more power people are given the more they lust for the monetary rewards power brings. It is an unavoidable cycle.

Now to your list of arguments:

1. Had you asked any of the troops initially in Nazi Germany if they would have supported a maniacal dictator they would have said no. They would have told you they were good people. Just as the morals and standards in America have been changed by the media, they were molded in Germany too. People hear the same tripe over and over and soon accept it as fact. That is the biggest danger of our corrupt and biased news media. If there is a conflict the military will back the government. I will accept past history examples over your opinion. There are countless examples like Russia, China and Germany to support my position. I cant recall one to support your position of the military spurning the government to fight for the citizens. I can recall many where the military backed a coup and installed a new ruler, but not where they fought for the common citizens.
  2. The freedoms of many other nations have been reduced greatly. You picked a few you think are good examples, but I notice you left off Russia, China, Cambodia, Uganda, Cuba, North Korea, Turkey, and of course the aforementioned Germany. All of which disarmed then slaughtered their own citizens.
  3. Whether the battle rifle is effective against high tech weaponry or not, it is more effective than being unarmed. Many armed militia/guerrilla fighters had lesser weapons, but made the cost and length of battle unsustainable to enemies who were better armed.
  4. This is the fear mongering argument I hate the most. It ignores cars/trucks that can be driven into crowds, private planes that can be flown into building, crowds, other planes etc., cans of gasoline that can start fires, homemade explosives, knives, and other items that can be used to kill or maim. It completely ignores how drugs, prostitution, and alcohol were banned in America, yet are/were still easily obtained by those that want/wanted them. Bans and laws only affect law abiding people, not criminals. Murder is already illegal, and most mass shootings happen in gun free zones. Rules and laws don't affect rule/law breakers. Gun bans always focus on the common theme of disarming the innocent law abiding citizen and always use fear mongering to justify the disarmament.
Most supporters of gun bans are either fueled by an insane belief those in power are somehow automatically good people, or their inner fears of being unable to protect themselves.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 PM

19,163 posts, read 9,751,125 times
Quote:

LOL! Every politician takes an oath to defend the constitution and none gives a crap about it.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM

10,984 posts, read 2,840,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's very difficult to obtain an assault rifle and expensive too.
If you do it legally

However, if you go the illegal route...its cheap and easy. Just like illegal street drugs, full auto firearms pour into the US every year illegally, they are bought and sold on the black market, price varies by region, but in general, a 'used' full auto AK47 goes from $400 to about $1000.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:49 PM

6,108 posts, read 2,863,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, that was true until 1934. Then somehow someway, Congress inserted a requirement into the 2nd amendment without the people having a say in the Amendment process. They limited what arms the "people" could have... Like the people are the governments property or something.
What weapons were banned by NFA 34?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM

19,163 posts, read 9,751,125 times
Quote:

1. I trust someone’s oath as much as I trust a snake oil salesman.

2. Historical norm has always been government enslaving or slaughtering its citizens.

3. I give you 1776, American peasants vs. the British Empire, the most powerful empire the human history has ever seen.

4. Lock up those evil people and we have no problem.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:51 PM

60 posts, read 14,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you do it legally

However, if you go the illegal route...its cheap and easy. Just like illegal street drugs, full auto firearms pour into the US every year illegally, they are bought and sold on the black market, price varies by region, but in general, a 'used' full auto AK47 goes from $400 to about $1000.
BULL!

Lets see some facts to back up that stat. That is pure unadulterated garbage. If you can find a true full auto AK-47 on the streets at all, it would bring north of $5000. You can't even buy a good quality semi auto Ak style rife, like the WASR, for $400. This is why I hate debating with unknowledgeable liberals. They just make up or repeat the same old garbage over and over even though it is not true.

But most liberals side with AOC in believing it doesn't matter if you are factually accurate as long as you feel you are morally correct. The problem is, it is hard to be moral when you are lying or repeating unverified lies.

By your logic Oxycodone and other opiate pills would bring less on the street than they do from the pharmacy. But dopers pay through the nose for opiates on the streets. It is supply and demand. This isn't Miami Vice, and the AK's don't "pour into the US". They may pour into war torn areas like Somalia and Afghanistan, but I don't see the 100% ban of legal private citizen gun ownership stopping that in either country. And by the time that gun goes from Russia/China to a middle man in Somalia then to the USA, $400 wouldn't rent it for the night.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM

30,012 posts, read 15,663,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No special license is required to own a full auto weapon.

Current prices on M-16’s are in the neighborhood of $20,000+
Can't you get one with the tax stamp, a trust, a little paperwork and some cash?

That's all it took for my suppressor. I did the trust and all paperwork in about 15 minutes. I also did it for 2 other people.

It was easy and cost me about $700 total plus about 6 weeks if I remember.

I'll post a photo.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM

19,668 posts, read 12,400,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
BULL!

Lets see some facts to back up that stat. That is pure unadulterated garbage. If you can find a true full auto AK-47 on the streets at all, it would bring north of $5000. You can't even buy a good quality semi auto Ak style rife, like the WASR, for $400. This is why I hate debating with unknowledgeable liberals. They just make up or repeat the same old garbage over and over even though it is not true.

But most liberals side with AOC in believing it doesn't matter if you are factually accurate as long as you feel you are morally correct. The problem is, it is hard to be moral when you are lying or repeating unverified lies.

By your logic Oxycodone and other opiate pills would bring less on the street than they do from the pharmacy. But dopers pay through the nose for opiates on the streets. It is supply and demand. This isn't Miami Vice, and the AK's don't "pour into the US". They may pour into war torn areas like Somalia and Afghanistan, but I don't see the 100% ban of legal private citizen gun ownership stopping that in either country. And by the time that gun goes from Russia/China to a middle man in Somalia then to the USA, $400 wouldn't rent it for the night.

If full auto weapons on the street are so cheap and plentiful, then why-

1. do gang bangers usually use cheap, crappy handguns? No H&Ks for them!

2. why do thieves try to target shops selling full auto to get their hands on some? If they could get one for a few hundred bucks, why take the risk?

3. Full auto stolen brings the FBI and the heat onto a situation that would otherwise be trivial for them- semi-autos.

4. why are so few crimes committed with full auto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies