Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because sometimes we face home invasions and multiple armed attackers. Why do you need a car that goes over 55 and can kill dozens of people, or more if driven irresponsibly?

https://riverheadlocal.com/2016/08/2...ay-manorville/
That is a pretty rare event.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Your right to self preservation..which in your case is myopically based around your possession of weapons..and the affect is has on public policy..has led to an increased threat to the self preservation of many more people.

Because one viewpoint is paranoid, unstable, and desires the availability of violence at a moments notice, does not mean the rest of society should always cater to that viewpoint.
still supersedes your feelings.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
"President Trump, America is scared and we need bold action," Monday's front page reads. "It's time to... BAN WEAPONS OF WAR."

https://nypost.com/2019/08/04/the-po...t-weapons-now/

The New York Post is controlled by Rupert Murdoch, the right-wing media mogul who keeps in close touch with the president.

This is not the first time the Post has called for such a ban. But it is still striking to see the message on the front page of the paper, where Trump is likely to see it. Trump grew up reading the paper in New York City and continues to receive copies in Washington.

"America is terrified," the editorial reads. "President Trump, you are positioned to assuage that fear. On gun control, you are a pragmatic centrist, someone who knows there is a vast majority of Americans who are not to the extreme left or right on this issue. They just want the killings to stop."
And tonight, Hannity ( if not on vacation) / Fox News will likely attempt to make a case for these weapons, ala only a good guy with a semi automatic can stop a bad guy with a semi automatic.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:56 PM

10,454 posts, read 4,038,191 times
All I know is, I'm glad I donate heavily to the NRA and GOA so they can keep pouncing the hell out of these gun grabbers in court!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Whew, it must be a bit**, going through life thinking like that. I can not begin to imagine what it must be like. How do the majority of us function and survive every day not worrying about stupid stuff like the government turning on us ?
You didn't grow up in a State-run ghetto like I did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now maybe you think it wasn't State-run but if this is indeed your contention you'll have to provide me with a plausible alternate theory on how cocaine made it onto my block when it was produced in the jungles of Colombia. I'll also need an explanation on how AK-47s made their way from Izhevsk, Russia to the Rust Belt.

Because the South Side Soldiers, despite their many talents, had no planes or pilots among the lot. They had no passports nor did they have enough capital to produce such a start-up.

I'm a bit old for such tom foolery and my street senses aren't as sharp as they were when I was a kid but we could do a tour of duty in the old neighborhood if you like. You know, to get to the bottom of this because it's still going on today (though I grew up during the peak of the crack epidemic when things were really hopping).

Just make sure you have your next of kin notification up to date. And remember, there are no police. You never know when or if they'll come and they could be on the payroll of the aggressor you're trying to fend off. Or perhaps your aggressor is a mercenary hired by the State. Because yeah, I saw that firsthand too.

So, when is good for you? Because if you prove me wrong then maybe I'll ease up on my suspicions of the State. I'd love to go through life thinking that if I just stay within the lines, keep my head down, and pay my taxes the State will take care of me but I've seen their body count up close and personal. Not all were soldiers who agreed to such combat. Innocent children were in those bags.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The first and most famous of our founding documents - the Declaration of Independence. That's where the "nutty conspiracy theory" of government out to get you came from. That and the 20th century murder tally (thx, No_Recess) of ~260 million at the hands of various governments.

Government will always and forever be the single greatest threat to your life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. It was true in 1776 and it is true to this very day.

That you've never thought of it means that their compulsory K-12 indoctrination worked on you, and that their welfare state opiates have you in the properly lethargic mental state such that you never properly assess threats.
WOW !!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
1) The oath taken by enlisted members: "I, (name), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The oath taken by officers: "I, (name), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State (Commonwealth, District, Territory) of (the name) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of the State (Commonwealth, District, Territory) of (the name), that I make this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the Office of (grade) in the Army/Air National Guard of the State (Commonwealth, District, Territory) of (the name) on which I am about to enter, so help me God."

They took an oath to follow the command of the POTUS.

I do not believe all military members would follow that order if it meant firing on their own people, but I wouldn't gamble that all of them would lay down their arms.

2) You don't see a government beating up its people in France? REALLY? Have you not been paying attention to what has been going on in France for months now? You don't see it, eh?

3) Hi tech weapons, and yet we still lose military members who are stationed overseas in war zones, or in their peace keeping efforts. We just lost some the other day. Those hi tech weapons don't protect everyone.

4) How naive of you to think that not allowing law abiding citizens to have AKs will prevent bad people from getting them. This isn't Unicorn Island. And that argument falls flat on its face every single time. It's stated as if the people who say it actually care about the law abiding citizens, when in reality, it's a pathetic excuse to take guns away from them. No one believes anyone who says, "We just want to prevent the bad guys from getting them" = see: Eric Holder "Fast and Furious". Yeah, he was just so damned concerned, wasn't he? See: Al Quaeda. I wonder who armed them.
Uh- the first order is to defend the Constitution.

The second order, to obey the President, presumes the President is faithfully executing the Constitution. If they are not, then it is an unlawful order.

Thirdly- the military has the Posse Comitatus act of 1878 that restricts activities with regards to domestic matters, which by the way this current POTUS has stretched to its' limits.

Did you serve or at least listen in Civics?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Civilians never had such easy access to this amount of firepower, why do they need these types of weapons.
Civilians have always had access to equivalent shoulder fired weapons as well as handguns. So what are you talking about?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Civilians have always had access to equivalent shoulder fired weapons as well as handguns. So what are you talking about?
Well, that was true until 1934. Then somehow someway, Congress inserted a requirement into the 2nd amendment without the people having a say in the Amendment process. They limited what arms the "people" could have... Like the people are the governments property or something.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:36 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Whew, it must be a bit**, going through life thinking like that. I can not begin to imagine what it must be like. How do the majority of us function and survive every day not worrying about stupid stuff like the government turning on us ?
Tough going through life how - intellectually honest and properly aware of the world around me?

How does the history of the last 100 years in our country and the rest of the world escape you? Nothing is as efficient at murdering innocents as a government promising that it's for your own good. You have to be blind not to see it.

And I get through life just fine. My distrust for government is the same as my distrust for dark alleys, bad neighborhoods, etc. Avoid first, and where avoidance is impossible, prepare. Simple, basic, common sense survival thinking really. An ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure, eh?

And btw, ad hominems and appeals to ridicule don't work on me. No fallacy does.
Quote:
WOW !!
I know. It must be totally shocking for someone to go so totally against your state driven brainwashing...err....education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies