Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 PM

18,126 posts, read 15,520,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The AWB was weak because any stronger legislation would have been unconstitutional. Any new AWB will be weak because anything stronger will be unconstitutional. Simply put, gun bans are unconstitutional. If you want a gun ban that is effective, you'll need to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

The original AWB just banned imported guns. HK, Steyr, FN FAL, And a slew of Chinese knockoffs on the M14 and of course AK type guns. They trolled a bunch of shotguns and handguns into the list as well. It's pretty interesting when you actually rea the list of banned weapons on that original list, and certain features were also key.

Bayonet lugs, muzzle brakes, pistol grips and such. The bayonet lug made me laugh. Nobody has ever fixed a bayonet and gone nuts. I have a lug on my rifle but there are fixtures that it can be used for that are actually useful now. Lights, lasers and such.

As to repeal of the 2A that would cause a big stink. So truly though many call for it the 2A isn't going anywhere. Unless the government is taken over by coup, which many leftists have also called for. (sigh) we live in troubled times. What COULD happen is spooky.

What we considered impossible here even just maybe a decade ago has become an actual threat. I would be vey happy if I were able to sell everything I own and buy a good mule, a Hawken rifle and an 1860 Colt Army revolver, get a good dog, stock up and cache supplies and disappear into the mountains being called Mad Jack.

Live the rest of my life feasting on elk and deer and having a mountain lion as a best friend.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:12 PM

10,337 posts, read 5,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can't you get one with the tax stamp, a trust, a little paperwork and some cash?
Yes. Although a trust isn’t needed, as the rules on CLEO sign off and fingerprinting have changed.

Quote:
That's all it took for my suppressor. I did the trust and all paperwork in about 15 minutes. I also did it for 2 other people.

It was easy and cost me about $700 total plus about 6 weeks if I remember.

I'll post a photo.
Six weeks for a From 4 approval is incredibly fast. They are taking 6-12 months now.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM

10,337 posts, read 5,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
(sigh), No, there is no such thing as an "assault pistol." Your terminology still needs a lot of improvement. High caliper? The Glock comes standard with a 15-17 round capacity magazine. A 30 is available after market should someone feel the need. Maneuverabilty of a handgun does not make it more lethal than any rifle. Even a light weight cartridge like the ARs 5.56 is more effective than a 9mm or even 45 ACP. Two standard rounds the Glock chambers 40 SW and 10 mm being others. All but the 10 being carried commonly by police.

Contrary to what many believe the ARs standard 5.56 chambering is not some power house magical chambering for a rifle. It is a lightweight originally designed as a varmint cartridge. The military adopted it because of its light weight and for a soldiers ability to carry more ammunition.

And "military type" ammunition is not more lethal despite its "military" designation. Truth be known it it less so than civilian rounds for varmint hunting. If our going to ban the Glock for it's supposed abilities that just might upset a bunch of cops. Oh but I assume they will still be allowed their fully auto true "military" type M4s, Glocks and other 15-17 shot sidearms? Like the HK, SIG Berretta and others?

Tell me, if the cops feel that regular patrolmen need such weapons to patrol the streets I live on sporadically 8 hours a day, between paperwork, why is it I should be denied a semi auto only AR15 and a 15-17 shot pistol? Since when did cops become forward deployed combat troops? Cops not only have full auto as standard they also have heavy weapons up to 50 BMG, armored vehicles, grenade launchers an other military gear. If things are indeed that bad out here trying to take away my AR is not going to happen.

Not going to happen anyway.
Nope. It was developed specifically for the original AR-15, as a military cartridge.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,005,053 times
People need help if they think they can defend themselves against the mightiest Police and Armed forces of the world with their gun.

Unfortunately for them, those forces will only protect them and not out to get them at any cost.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 14 days ago)

14,487 posts, read 9,546,566 times
the 5.56 is a variant of the .223 developed for varmints.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nope. It was developed specifically for the original AR-15, as a military cartridge.

The 5.56/223 used the original 222 varmint round as its base. It started as a varmint round. Just like the 308/7.62 x51 was developed from the 30 06. The 30 06 was designed from scratch as a military round. It has been the original platform for a LOT of other rounds military and civilian.

For the 223/5.56 they just necked up the 222. And thus was born the 223. I actually saw a guy one day on the range who had loaded 222 in his AR and it actually worked. But we knew something wasn't right. It sounded funny. The repot from the fired rounds was quieter than it should have been because of course that 1000th of an inch was allowing blow by. The smaller diameter bullet wasn't swaging up.

Anyway, just a couple tidbits for edification purposes.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Well, it was based on the .223 which was based on the .222 which had no parent cartridge and was mostly a varmint round at the time. It was the design of a steel plated projectile to shoot through a helmet that stood out.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The 5.56/223 used the original 222 varmint round as its base. It started as a varmint round. Just like the 308/7.62 x51 was developed from the 30 06. The 30 06 was designed from scratch as a military round. It has been the original platform for a LOT of other rounds military and civilian.

For the 223/5.56 they just necked up the 222. And thus was born the 223. I actually saw a guy one day on the range who had loaded 222 in his AR and it actually worked. But we knew something wasn't right. It sounded funny. The repot from the fired rounds was quieter than it should have been because of course that 1000th of an inch was allowing blow by. The smaller diameter bullet wasn't swaging up.

Anyway, just a couple tidbits for edification purposes.
Dangit, had I see this ^ LOL

Old 08-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dangit, had I see this ^ LOL

It's all good bro. Nice to know other people have studied a bit on firearms history. Ammo development when you look at it sees the good old 06 being parent grand parent and great grandparent now to a whole slew of now widely available commercial rounds that started as wildcats. 308, 243, 22 250. It has a significant list of prodigy. LOL.

222 is still available but not very popular. The 223 is just a better more versatile round and ammo is widely available for fairly cheap. In a wide range of bullet weights and designs.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:56 PM

19,657 posts, read 9,967,695 times
I am 71 and have arthritis. But I bet you would not see much difference time-wise in me firing one 30 round mag or 3 10s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies