Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times

Advertisements

The older I get and the more I learn about the state and functioning of the world, the more it becomes obvious to me that the old growth mantra is outdated. There is no meaningful or sustainable goal behind it.

So, what could be an alternative mantra for the future if we dared to rethink and redefine our priorities and long-term goals as humans?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 AM

I just read an article on the Growth Busters, who seem to share my view
Growthbusters: Hooked on Growth
I haven't seen that movie, yet, but hope to get a chance to do so.

In the article it said that there is a commission now in the German parliament that investigates any correlations between growth and quality of life, and tries to explore alternatives to the growth-based. Germany's finance minister even said Western economies should deliberately limit their growth, an amazing statement from a finance minister...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,184,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The older I get and the more I learn about the state and functioning of the world, the more it becomes obvious to me that the old growth mantra is outdated. There is no meaningful or sustainable goal behind it.
It was always impossible. You can't have infinite growth with finite resources. You can't always make more money next year than you did this year (or somebody's head rolls...). The "profit maximization at any cost" (including human cost) is a corrupt and destructive philosophy. Now that we've defeated the evils of Godless communism we have to come to grips with the evils of Godless capitalism. We have to accept the concept of "good enough". If we made enough money this year, it's OK if we make the same next year; we don't have to fire anybody. We also have to recognize that there is such a thing as an obscene profit. I sometimes think we should round up all the graduates of Harvard Business School and make sure they are never allowed to be in charge of anything ever again.

OK. I'm done. Felt good to get that out.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It was always impossible. You can't have infinite growth with finite resources. You can't always make more money next year than you did this year (or somebody's head rolls...). The "profit maximization at any cost" (including human cost) is a corrupt and destructive philosophy. Now that we've defeated the evils of Godless communism we have to come to grips with the evils of Godless capitalism. We have to accept the concept of "good enough". If we made enough money this year, it's OK if we make the same next year; we don't have to fire anybody. We also have to recognize that there is such a thing as an obscene profit. I sometimes think we should round up all the graduates of Harvard Business School and make sure they are never allowed to be in charge of anything ever again.

OK. I'm done. Felt good to get that out.
I agree, but the part in bold is scary for many people as the opposite is their motivation in life.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
The emphasis should be on meeting people's actual needs in as sustainable a way as possible. Endless growth is not possible and never was. It seemed to work when half the world's land was largely undeveloped, sparsely populated wilderness, but that's not the case anymore.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
I've had this question for years.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Yup..we've pretty much hit peak everything now and are having a hard time dealing with the reality of it and adjusting to it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,432,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yup..we've pretty much hit peak everything now and are having a hard time dealing with the reality of it and adjusting to it.
We have a winner! pretty well stated, by saying, definitely a hard time facing reality and surely not adjusting to it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,581,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just read an article on the Growth Busters, who seem to share my view
Growthbusters: Hooked on Growth
I haven't seen that movie, yet, but hope to get a chance to do so.

In the article it said that there is a commission now in the German parliament that investigates any correlations between growth and quality of life, and tries to explore alternatives to the growth-based. Germany's finance minister even said Western economies should deliberately limit their growth, an amazing statement from a finance minister...
What I see in the US is a "facade/fake growth", in that retail ever expands and commercial real estate/strip malls continue to be constructed, yet there is little demand, or even a marked amount of consumers having a taste for it. i.e. companies like Jackson-Hewitt tax preparation, Edward Jones and Sprint/At &T will continue to lease out space in dead and/or dying strip malls.

And of course banks. There are 20 banks on one main road here, lol, usually empty.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So, what could be an alternative? To many people, especially the economic and financial movers and shakers, growth is like the bible they live by. What could replace it? I haven't noticed any change so far. During the crisis the main question seemed to be how to get back on the same track that has led us into the trouble in the first place, rather than finding new tracks leading somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.