U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 AM

10,929 posts, read 2,818,437 times

Advertisements

Ive seen these mentioned in some other threads on the board, but Im wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question...

We know part of the duties of militia is to ensure tyranny never takes over, so they are responsible for protecting against foreign and domestic threats, who makes the call, when its time for the militia to rise up and take action against a domestic threat?

Who determines there is a domestic threat to begin with?

Seems like with all this talk of Govt creating new laws on guns, (or if they should do this), we would be hearing the militias opinion on this? I dont even know who speaks for the militia in my state?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM

21,741 posts, read 14,468,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Hopefully the FBI is monitoring "state militias", who likely pose the greatest risk to security, and law and order, in this country. Homegrown terrorism is a serious threat.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM

29,957 posts, read 15,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hopefully the FBI is monitoring "state militias", who likely pose the greatest risk to security, and law and order, in this country. Homegrown terrorism is a serious threat.
The idea of government not having supreme and unlimited power seems pretty alarming to you.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM

5,106 posts, read 3,020,806 times
Good luck these days with Predator Drones..

Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM

19,642 posts, read 17,869,100 times
The government will squash any home grown militias before they even get started. Our founding fathers would be shocked at what has become of our nation and the constitution.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:24 AM

19,624 posts, read 12,373,992 times
Quote:
Ive seen these mentioned in some other threads on the board, but Im wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question...

We know part of the duties of militia is to ensure tyranny never takes over, so they are responsible for protecting against foreign and domestic threats, who makes the call, when its time for the militia to rise up and take action against a domestic threat?

Seems like with all this talk of Govt creating new laws on guns, (or if they should do this), we would be hearing the militias opinion on this? I dont even know who speaks for the militia in my state?!!

Doesn't the National Guard kind of serve as a "state militia"?

Like the National Guard, state militias sometimes served in the regular army in a time of need.

I am very pro 2nd Amendment, but some of these "militias" seem a little whacko to me, as they are convinced the feds are coming after them. I don't feel threatened by the feds, as I live pretty peacefully and don't commit crimes. However, if you have a group that is independently conducting military exercises, one has to wonder what they are training for?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Shouldnt the FBI and other LE actually be working with the militias though?

If the state militias are responsible for protecting against tyranny within our own govt, why would govt agencies be treating them like terrorists? LOL That makes no sense.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,093,738 times
Militias in United States Code.

Quote:
10 U.S. Code § 246.Militia: composition and classes

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b)The classes of the militia are—

(1)the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2)the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

Old 08-05-2019, 10:29 AM

66,992 posts, read 34,067,087 times
Quote:

Ya, let the FBI / BATF catch wind, you and your buddies are training in tactical domestic warfare.
See how that turns out for you.
Only cops and retired cops can legally form militia without government retaliation.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Doesn't the National Guard kind of serve as a "state militia"?

Like the National Guard, state militias sometimes served in the regular army in a time of need.

I am very pro 2nd Amendment, but some of these "militias" seem a little whacko to me, as they are convinced the feds are coming after them. I don't feel threatened by the feds, as I live pretty peacefully and don't commit crimes. However, if you have a group that is independently conducting military exercises, one has to wonder what they are training for?
They are 'wackos' for trying to protect citizens rights and guarding against the govt going tyrannical??

If they determine the US govt is a threat to citizens rights...then Im sorry, but every citizen should stand behind and support the militias!!

Seems kind of suspicious to demonize the group that is tasked with protecting our rights!!! but from what Ive seen lately, 'patriotism' is now viewed as domestic terrorism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies