Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
No. There's a venn diagram where the interests of anarchists overlap with those opposed to a police state. People dying in police custody is in that zone
Leave them alone. They get very excited when they can use the word "statist" and apply it to all except themselves. Anyone who is that easily entertained should be able to spew.....as if such "no definition or reality" descriptions mean something too reasonable and logical people.

"‘If men were angels, no government would be necessary’
(paraphrase of Madison and many others"........

Or, a great quote I can never find the accurate attribute of....

"People are basically good, it just that when you put two or more of them together the problem (and politics) start".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,256,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Leave them alone. They get very excited when they can use the word "statist" and apply it to all except themselves. Anyone who is that easily entertained should be able to spew.....as if such "no definition or reality" descriptions mean something too reasonable and logical people.

"‘If men were angels, no government would be necessary’
(paraphrase of Madison and many others"........

Or, a great quote I can never find the accurate attribute of....

"People are basically good, it just that when you put two or more of them together the problem (and politics) start".
You'll leave me alone? No more gun to my head?

Hooray!

Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,256,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I'm not a super morally virtuous anarchist like half the right-wingers on this claim to be. If things think slavery and coercion of individuals are of the utmost importance to anarchists, then they ought to oppose things like Forever 21 sweatshops in Bangladesh. But, they don't have any moral dilemma with engaging in these markets, because it is a "market" and not the "state." But then the entire morally virtuous thing doesn't really mean anything.

Is the entire anarchist thing really about morals, or is it about greed? I've never heard an anarchist support the divestment of companies that use slave labor. How is it possible to be so inconsistent.
We will hijack the thread at this pace. Maybe set up something later.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times
Not to paint with too broad a brush, but the OP (the idea of this thread) is simply this....

Those people who never read history and instead listened to a preacher somewhere or concocted some ideal of "what was" are the only folks who can possibly even SUGGEST that there was a "more moral" time or place.

Our "mother" is the UK which was one of the most miserable places (for most people) morally and in many other ways for many 100's of years. They sent many of their dregs here. But the "best people" they sent here became the owners....of slaves, businesses built around slaves, "free" land and all sorts of other stuff.

Only those who watch certain movies and have not read actual history can imagine that morals and ethics of colonialism, feudalism, class societies and all the rest that has formed the modern world was so pure that we have now "fell from the grace of it".

Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 PM

15,798 posts, read 6,239,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Will you help me? Or are you just as dumb as me?
I got my own self to worry about.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:41 AM

15,686 posts, read 7,511,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Can you be a little more specific?
I've been watching the erosion for about 30 years now, where as before I wasn't of a mind to pay attention.

Human Rights Reporting and U.S. Foreign Policy

"For too many years, we’ve been willing to adopt the flawed and erroneous principles and tactics of our adversaries, sometimes abandoning our own values for theirs." ~ Jimmy Carter ~

US "Moral Authority" on Human Rights

"The U.S. refusal to stand for elections has triggered sharp criticism from at least one U.S. Congressman -- Tom Lantos, a Democrat from California -- who described the decision as "an act of unparalleled defeatism". Lantos went one step further by accusing the Bush administration of surrendering the HRC to "a cabal of military juntas, single-party states and tin-pot dictators" who will retain "their death grip on the world's human rights machinery." The U.S. State Department said last month that the HRC is not a "credible body" because it refused to pass strictures on some of the world's major "human rights abusers", including Myanmar, Zimbabwe, Iran and North Korea. Stephen Zunes, professor of politics at the University of San Francisco, says the United States is certainly not the only country which has engaged in violations of international humanitarian law to an extent that raises questions regarding the appropriateness of sitting on the U.N.'s Human Rights Council. "

It does make me wonder if WWII happened today rather than 87 years ago, if the u.s. would turn a blind eye to that which was discovered. imo opinion ... they would.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,498,101 times
An article today on the reasons for so much moral decay and facts to back it up.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/08...ow-killing-us/

Old 08-09-2019, 08:47 AM

15,686 posts, read 7,511,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Maybe I'm too dumb to abide by it and just need help to live it.

Tell me what would be a principled life for me and we can consider it.

So, what's first?
Erase your SSN from all state and federal agencies. Then and only then are you sovereign.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:55 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,970,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
I would suggest that emulating a fictitious society designed to play the role of the main antagonist in an ideologically driven TV show is rarely a good idea.
The show is based on a book, so "ideologically driven" TV show is off base.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM

23,773 posts, read 14,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You want to know where our morals are? What's your reaction to this: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ration-1643512
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies