U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:50 AM

10,906 posts, read 10,959,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
And how will universal background checks prevent them from buying a weapon? Pretty much all mass shooters have squeaky clean records before they become mass shooters and they bought their guns through licensed dealers - meaning a background check was preformed.

Which mass shootings would have been stopped with universal background checks?
Its a first step. Assuming the right and NRA even care about addressing the problem, beyond offering thoughts and prayers
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-c...deaths-2017-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:51 AM

46,485 posts, read 34,312,923 times
Quote:
Universal background checks won't stop a single mass shooting. And they're also not enforceable. Private sellers won't bother doing them in just about all cases. And what kind of penalties shall one receive if he sells his property without doing a background check on the buyer?
Who would know?

Unless the firearm was in the chain of transfers and used to commit a crime.

9,843 posts, read 4,672,021 times
We already have background checks and of the 80,000 or so who have been caught committing a felony by lying on it, the government has prosecuted around 1%.

84 posts, read 4,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Its a first step. Assuming the right and NRA even care about addressing the problem, beyond offering thoughts and prayers
It's not a first step. It doesn't solve anything. It's probably your first step in banning all of guns, but it's not a step in fixing the problem.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

46,485 posts, read 34,312,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It cannot hurt. However, it would not have prevented most, if not all sensational mass shootings.

Trumpís rhetoric as it relates to background checks is intentionally vague. No one knows his intent, including him.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

19,672 posts, read 12,512,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...after saying he'd veto the House bill instituting universal background checks if it got to his desk.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...s-guns-1450897

Which statement is the lie? I'm pretty sure one of them must be, and I have a suspicion which one it is. I surely don't have any great insight into Trump's mind, though. I just wonder where this appetite is coming from and when it arose.
He'll get over it, just like the last time. I trust him about as far as I could throw him.

Old Today, 11:05 AM

10,906 posts, read 10,959,894 times
Quote:
It's not a first step. It doesn't solve anything. It's probably your first step in banning all of guns, but it's not a step in fixing the problem.
Lol, so you just want RWNJs to keep shooting up public places. Got it

Old Today, 11:14 AM

9,041 posts, read 8,030,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I thought Obama was going to fix gun violence after Newtown. Thoughts and prayers

I thought Trump was better than Obama.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

22,562 posts, read 9,594,547 times
Quote:
That's not what universal background checks do. And what you're proposing is a civil rights violation.

All that universal backgrounds check do is check the purchasers criminal background - if he's not a felon, has no restraining order against him involving domestic violence - he is good to buy the gun. If he then later uses that gun to commit a crime, it's not the seller's fault. You can't prosecute the seller for this, don't be ridiculous.

Pretty much all of these mass shooters have squeaky clean records before they become mass shooters. In fact, pretty much all (if not all) went to a licensed dealer, passed a background check, and bought their gun.

What you're proposing won't solve a damn thing.
I don't think you understand what I stated. First off--we were not discussing retail gun sales at all--just expanding the checks.

In addition, I heard a GOP politician on the news today saying he was for background checks, but one could not expect private parties to do those.

You stated that even with extensive background checks, private parties can sell guns. Right--so that is a loophole, and if the GOP insists on having it, there has to be some accountability or anyone will sell guns to anyone without a second thought.

Since when is not having to have any accountability a civil right?

And--Fun Fact--other countries and organizations are issuing Travel Advisories for the USA due to gun violence.

So we're right up there with third world countries and war zones.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

370 posts, read 372,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What do either of those things have to do with the necessity or constitutionality of universal background checks?
I was merely responding to a question from another poster about why mass shootings are more prevalent today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies