U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Today, 01:46 AM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,502 posts, read 8,341,633 times
Reputation: 10794

Advertisements

...after saying he'd veto the House bill instituting universal background checks if it got to his desk.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...s-guns-1450897

Which statement is the lie? I'm pretty sure one of them must be, and I have a suspicion which one it is. I surely don't have any great insight into Trump's mind, though. I just wonder where this appetite is coming from and when it arose.

Last edited by jacqueg; Today at 02:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 03:15 AM
 
1,104 posts, read 193,937 times
Reputation: 642
My guess would be:
1) Both are lies because it does not personally matter to him, he is not a gun owner, from NYC
2) He like to test the waters before committing. He throws something out then check for responses from host on radio and Fox News at night.
3) Trump would ban all guns if he thought it would make his base vote stronger. Again he could care less about guns.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,220 posts, read 2,821,772 times
Reputation: 4452
Why are "universal background checks" necessary now when they weren't necessary in say....1980?

Guns haven't changed significantly since then.

Proliferation of guns is probably actually less in some ways.

As others have mentioned, the cliche about kids having guns in the back of their pickups is perfectly true.

I took a gun safety course in my 8th grade shop class.

The teacher brought in several guns.

Nobody freaked out, nobody got shot.

Used to be you could order a gun and ammo from the Sears catalogue and have it delivered directly to your home with no background checks.

And yet mass shootings were quite rare.

So what's different now?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:42 AM
 
10,929 posts, read 2,818,437 times
Reputation: 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why are "universal background checks" necessary now when they weren't necessary in say....1980?

Guns haven't changed significantly since then.

Proliferation of guns is probably actually less in some ways.

As others have mentioned, the cliche about kids having guns in the back of their pickups is perfectly true.

I took a gun safety course in my 8th grade shop class.

The teacher brought in several guns.

Nobody freaked out, nobody got shot.

Used to be you could order a gun and ammo from the Sears catalogue and have it delivered directly to your home with no background checks.

And yet mass shootings were quite rare.

So what's different now?
Just look around, we have a govt that is growing more and more tyrannical by the year, (is there any aspect of our lives that govt is not somehow involved in?) not to mention the growing 'police state'.


We didnt have these issues back in the 80s...thats what changed!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:43 AM
 
24,447 posts, read 12,087,835 times
Reputation: 10413
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why are "universal background checks" necessary now when they weren't necessary in say....1980?

Guns haven't changed significantly since then.

Proliferation of guns is probably actually less in some ways.

As others have mentioned, the cliche about kids having guns in the back of their pickups is perfectly true.

I took a gun safety course in my 8th grade shop class.

The teacher brought in several guns.

Nobody freaked out, nobody got shot.

Used to be you could order a gun and ammo from the Sears catalogue and have it delivered directly to your home with no background checks.

And yet mass shootings were quite rare.

So what's different now?
Whatís different now? Liberal hysteria.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:07 AM
 
19,617 posts, read 12,373,992 times
Reputation: 10802
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...after saying he'd veto the House bill instituting universal background checks if it got to his desk.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...s-guns-1450897

Which statement is the lie? I'm pretty sure one of them must be, and I have a suspicion which one it is. I surely don't have any great insight into Trump's mind, though. I just wonder where this appetite is coming from and when it arose.


The left hates Trump because he doesn't do enough for gun control (what did Obama do?).


The left hates Trump when he offers measures for gun control.


Let's face it- the left would hate Trump if be was Jesus Christ incarnate and delivered paradise on earth to every US citizen. The left would ***** about the music or the food.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Pyongjang
5,630 posts, read 2,378,945 times
Reputation: 3821
Maybe he "evolved" like every one of your democrats candidates claim
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
14,927 posts, read 12,377,782 times
Reputation: 26527
Much like bump stocks, it’s a law that will have no effect on mentally ill mass shooters. Obviously.

Proposing more gun laws is admission that gun laws don’t work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
11,928 posts, read 8,342,518 times
Reputation: 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The left hates Trump because he doesn't do enough for gun control (what did Obama do?).


The left hates Trump when he offers measures for gun control.


Let's face it- the left would hate Trump if be was Jesus Christ incarnate and delivered paradise on earth to every US citizen. The left would ***** about the music or the food.



What did Obama do? He turned his back on the inner cities that offer up a gun violence slaughter every weekend.

I have to ask, how many of the gang bangers have had a back ground check before they bought their gun? How many firearm/hunter safety courses have they had before they were allowed to purchase a firearm? How much practice at the range have they had before they head out to the hunting grounds in order to make a clean kill of their target to avoid harming anything else?

The answer of course is they have had none of this and the Democrats that are pushing for even more laws to limit the Rights of law abiding citizens are doing nothing to stop criminals from using illegal guns.





I don't have a problem with someone having to acquire a license to purchase and own firearms since my state has required this for decades and I don't have a problem with universal nationwide back ground checks.

The only problem I do have with background checks is that they need to be extended to voting and to battle illegal immigration.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:23 AM
 
2,877 posts, read 1,175,471 times
Reputation: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Much like bump stocks, itís a law that will have no effect on mentally ill mass shooters. Obviously.

Proposing more gun laws is admission that gun laws donít work.
Better than doing nothing. Thatís like saying murder proves that laws against murder donít work.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top