U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

6,528 posts, read 2,949,292 times

Advertisements

I read that Kushner thinks commuting his sentence will play well with Dems.

Kushner also thought firing Comey would play well with Dems.

Wrong on both counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

46,503 posts, read 34,323,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It will encourage them to be sneakier about it.

Daley and Madigan could offer a masters class on the topic.
It is my understanding, Illinois has the highest conviction rate for political corruption.

What does this mean?

Are there more corrupt politicians in Illinois?

Do the corrupt politicians in Illinois push it more so than corrupt politicians in other states?

Are the corrupt politicians in Illinois dumber than corrupt politicians in other states?

Does Illinois prosecute more corrupt politicians than other states?

Do prosecutors win political corruption cases more often than in other states?

Are state and municipal laws looser than in other states?

Was reading about one of the battles between the new Chicago mayor and aldermen regarding zoning variances. Like most places, Chicago has zoning laws. Unlike most places, the alderman have the authority to approve variances. This sort of thing creates an environment ripe for corruption at a very local level. It’s this sort of thing that keeps some in power for decades.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

7,426 posts, read 1,676,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Illinois had the distinction of having two of its former governors ( a Republican and a Democrat) in prison at the same time. Blagojevich was a king of “ pay to play” and got 18 year Federal sentence for attempting to sell a state Senate seat ( on tape) and other assorted crimes of corruption.

Blago was the first Democrat in 30 years to be elected Governor in Illinois in 2002 and was re-elected in 2006. Trump was a donor. Trump Org built and opened Trump Hotel and condo tower in Chicago, during that timeframe.
Well that certainly explains why Trump is doing this.

The President of the United States is looking to give a "get out of jail free card" to a man who was sentenced to 18 years federal prison. The same man he worked with to build a multi-million dollar hotel.

What a disgrace Donald Trump is to the Oval Office.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

46,503 posts, read 34,323,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Well that certainly explains why Trump is doing this.

The President of the United States is looking to give a "get out of jail free card" to a man who was sentenced to 18 years federal prison. The same man he worked with to build a multi-million dollar hotel.

What a disgrace Donald Trump is to the Oval Office.
Trump Org has built many hotels, condos and country clubs. No doubt he donated to the campaigns of all politicians in office at the time. Never hurts to have friends in high places and certainly not limited to Trump. This is how business gets done. Nothing illegal about it.

Makes no sense to me that Blago was a guest celebrity on Trump’s show or why Trump is considering commuting the sentence. Blago was not a household name in the US like the woman from NJ Housewives or Rodman. But heck, he brought Omarosa into the WH at the top federal comp level.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

67,018 posts, read 34,082,805 times
Quote:
Illinois had the distinction of having two of its former governors ( a Republican and a Democrat) in prison at the same time. Blagojevich was a king of “ pay to play” and got 18 year Federal sentence for attempting to sell a state Senate seat ( on tape) and other assorted crimes of corruption.

Blago was the first Democrat in 30 years to be elected Governor in Illinois in 2002 and was re-elected in 2006. Trump was a donor. Trump Org built and opened Trump Hotel and condo tower in Chicago, during that timeframe.

A boatload of charges of corruption were filed against Blago including attempts to exhort the owners of the right leaning Chicago Tribune to fire editors who were critical of him.

Blago was impeached, convicted and removed from office in 2009 and then faced federal charges.

Blago was a guest celebrity on Apprentice in 2010. Not clear why Trump would choose a former governor who was removed from office and under Federal Investigation to be a guest on his show.

He was convicted by a federal court in 2012. He received a stiff sentence. His subsequent requests for parole have been denied. Trump has called it a tragedy and blamed Comey/ FBI.

And yesterday, Trump said he is considering commuting Blago’s sentence.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/gove...g-his-sentence

He said he was looking into it months back.

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

109 posts, read 7,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Wrong on both counts.
Nothing will play well with the Democrats. If I were Trump, I'd just ignore them completely. He better just focus on his base (he needs them energized so they show up and vote) as well as independents.

14 years is way too harsh of a sentence, he should have it commuted. The average person doesn't live to 80 years old, this is tantamount to close to 20% of his life behind bars for "selling" a seat.

My guess is Blago crossed some very powerful people and that's why he's locked up. Not the crime itself.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

1,383 posts, read 483,901 times
Quote:
Why would Trump have chosen a recently impeached, convicted and removed governor under federal investigation to be a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice?

Ratings? Something else?
Ratings I guess. Hollywood has no moral compass in general.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

1,383 posts, read 483,901 times
Quote:
Trump Org has built many hotels, condos and country clubs. No doubt he donated to the campaigns of all politicians in office at the time. Never hurts to have friends in high places and certainly not limited to Trump. This is how business gets done. Nothing illegal about it.

Also one of the reasons I did not vote for Trump in 2016 was that he was a registered New York democrat in the past.

That is a slime pit that equals Chicago democrats.

He follows the wind when he wants to, as most populists do.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

1,528 posts, read 335,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Wrong on both counts.
I think that entire ring of swamp around Trump that went to prison will get pardoned Manafort Cohen, et al.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

11,662 posts, read 5,971,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
As far as I know, the only crime he did was trying to get favors/bribes for Obama's previous seat... I think the sentence was particularly harsh and I wouldn't be oppose to commuting a non-violent crime for a first offender...
I've never liked white collar crime privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies