U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:43 AM

22,562 posts, read 9,594,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Or better yet, allow drivers to press charges against reckless drivers for endangering their lives. Bring your dash cam to the police station, download video, fill out form with offenders license plate number, offender is fined.
Sorry--not allowed. Police have to witness the event.

What is to stop people from making fake videos to harass someone they don't like?

And by the way, are people required to have dash cams? I would think every control freak a-hole and his brother would be filming with their cameras instead of watching the road in front of them. Probably would cause accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:44 AM

4,111 posts, read 1,583,685 times
Bah humbug. If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalks.

And traffic deaths have been going down every year for a long time

Old Today, 10:46 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I never thought I would say this, but it is time for more severe traffic regulations. I might even go so far as say I would be okay with speed cameras on the highways only. Aggressive driving is out of control coupled with distracted driving, and the roads have become a war zone. Really it is time for law enforcement and the government to do something.
With real enforcement. AFAIC your life should be over if busted for DUI rather than a slap on the wrist,

Old Today, 10:50 AM

21,785 posts, read 11,717,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Really? Speed can be a contributing factor if the driver is already aggressive. Kind of the same as guns in an of themselves have noting to do with murder. My point being, with most things it's the intention of the human that is the root cause.
People drive very fast in Germany but very few problems. They are better, smarter drivers than us.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

5,088 posts, read 1,840,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Bah humbug. If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalks.

And traffic deaths have been going down every year for a long time
They have - because vehicle crashworthiness and air bag technology has improved enormously. This has masked the effect of distracted and reckless driving.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

5,088 posts, read 1,840,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
People drive very fast in Germany but very few problems. They are better, smarter drivers than us.
Maybe, have only been in Germany once, but to me their road systems seem better. Here is the USA we have a mix of roads many of which have substandard design for the speeds and vehicle volumes that they support.

Old Today, 11:04 AM

22,907 posts, read 16,956,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, I lived there. One thing that I said while I lived there, and when I came back, was that the reason it works there is because everyone cooperates. You don't have left lane sitters trying to control everyone. People stay to the right except to pass, and as soon as they are done passing, they get the hell over.

If you see a car coming up behind you, even way back, and you see their headlights flash or their left blinker on, it means you hurry up with your passing and get back over - because they are on your tail pipe in seconds.

When traffic slows down dramatically, everyone smashes their 4 ways to give you extra time to react. All we have here are people who don't know how to take their foot off of the gas to slow down, they are constantly slamming on their brakes for every little reason. I like the 4 way flashers thing - saved me from plowing into the back of another car when traffic came to a dead stop on the autobahn I was on. It really does make a difference.

On the other hand, when there is a crash - it's not a small little fender bender.

But overall, the people on the road are cooperative. We don't have much of that at all in this country. You can find some places - Maine was very cooperative. Miami? NO! Those people act like they went from donkey and cart to sports car - and do not care about anyone but themselves. Maryland is the same. Two of the absolute worst areas to drive that I've ever encountered - and that's from all across the country, up and down both coasts.

Old Today, 11:10 AM

4,111 posts, read 1,583,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
They have - because vehicle crashworthiness and air bag technology has improved enormously. This has masked the effect of distracted and reckless driving.
please provide a link to support this assertion

Old Today, 11:26 AM

17,505 posts, read 21,371,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are bad and/ or impaired drivers everywhere.

There are drivers who ignore traffic laws, everywhere.

All it takes is one bad and/ or impaired driver.
And let's not overlook sleep-deprived drivers, equal to drunk drivers. It's been established that if you're up for 24 hours and driving it's the equivalent of having 3 shots of whiskey in your system. But the technology hasn't yet arrived, but it will one day, to give drivers a Sleepalyzer test. How much sleep are you driving on?

"I see here that you only slept 3 hours last night and you have no business driving this car and endangering other people. Here's your ticket and give me your keys, and I'll drive you to the nearest motel."

Old Today, 11:28 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,666,408 times
In my opinion, slow left lane campers and cell phone users are a much bigger issue that speeders. So long as everyone is somewhat uniform in speed going above 55 doesn’t increase the frequency of accidents. It’s the idiots that won’t get over and that are taking selfies that are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies