Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,086,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If one of them malfunctions, runs a red light, crashes into you and seriously injures you, who do you sue?
The company that made that model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 AM

58,712 posts, read 26,998,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I never thought I would say this, but it is time for more severe traffic regulations. I might even go so far as say I would be okay with speed cameras on the highways only. Aggressive driving is out of control coupled with distracted driving, and the roads have become a war zone. Really it is time for law enforcement and the government to do something.
"I might even go so far as say I would be okay with speed cameras on the highways only."

They are there already. You can be tracked from Maine to Florida and NY to Ca. on ANY Interstate.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 PM

25,786 posts, read 16,422,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Maybe, have only been in Germany once, but to me their road systems seem better. Here is the USA we have a mix of roads many of which have substandard design for the speeds and vehicle volumes that they support.
First time in Germany I piled in a VW van with my cousins to go to a soccer match and we were going down this freeway that looked like it was built in the 50’s and we were going ridiculously fast. Drivers foot was on the floor the whole way. That’s just how they drive, but they are damn good drivers compared to here for sure.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,503,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
In my opinion, slow left lane campers and cell phone users are a much bigger issue that speeders. So long as everyone is somewhat uniform in speed going above 55 doesn’t increase the frequency of accidents. It’s the idiots that won’t get over and that are taking selfies that are the problem.
The studies and stats agree with you.
Going 5 mph below the speed limit increases your chance of an accident vs going 5 mph above. Left lane sitters increase the chance of an accident.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,433,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Or better yet, allow drivers to press charges against reckless drivers for endangering their lives. Bring your dash cam to the police station, download video, fill out form with offenders license plate number, offender is fined.
I like this idea. I have wondered if there are ways the police could crowd source help through video cameras in cars.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why? Speed and of by itself has nothing to do with distracted/aggressive driving.
I used to think this way as well, but speed does kill. Reasonable speed on an open road with no one else around with a skilled driver, no. But our roads are not open highways with no traffic and skilled drivers. They are packed with relatively unskilled drivers speeding like crazy, switching lanes like they are insane, and the combination is killing people and changing lives for the worse with horrible injuries from “accidents”.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
We dont need the police and courts to be anymore gestapo and revenue generating than they already are.
If youre in an area with bad drivers, then move. Bad drivers are usually geographic with more congested areas.
Easy for you to say. I am in a more congested area but that is no excuse. Bottom line, people need to stop driving like ahol++. Respect each other on the road as fellow human beings that we all are.

I was vehemently against cameras myself and have actually received a ticket (wife was driving). The court eventually ruled the camera unconstitutional and ordered the city to pay back all the fines. However, after having driven in England were traffic is more regulated it was soooo much better. Not nearly as many jerks on the road and people driving aggressively. This experience changed my mind about cameras and strict traffic enforcement on our highways. And no, I am not some lefty who thinks we should look to Europe to solve all our problems, but that experience was eye opening. The gave drivers plenty of warning about coming up o a camera.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd much rather share the road with an attentive driver going 20 over the limit in a well maintained capable car than some twit going the limit while texting at the same time they're trying to wolf down their 'happy meal'.
I agree, I would too. The problem is you have people going way over what most are comfortable going. I am talking the drivers going 20-30 over. Tons of them out there. When they come up on slower traffic (not necessarily slow) they either get right on their butts or more usually start swerving in and out of lanes. This puts me and my loved ones and other’s loved ones lives at risk. It is BS!

Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 8,876,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Or better yet, allow drivers to press charges against reckless drivers for endangering their lives. Bring your dash cam to the police station, download video, fill out form with offenders license plate number, offender is fined.
lmao .... most people don't want red lights or speed cameras and you think they'll go for this. The police will laugh you out of the station.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Bah humbug. If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalks.

And traffic deaths have been going down every year for a long time
Not according to statistics. They are up 14% since 2011. Cars are far safer than they were in the sixties and more drivers wear seatbelts which helps. Deaths are only part of the story. I personally know three people in the last two years have had life changing accidents because the fault of the other drivers. Two were distracted drivers that ran red lights and the other an aggressive driver who was not happy with the speed of traffic at an exit so tried to go around traffic in the median, ran right into the side of my friends car going very fast.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...ths-and-rates/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies