U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:11 PM

10,901 posts, read 10,618,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I never thought I would say this, but it is time for more severe traffic regulations. I might even go so far as say I would be okay with speed cameras on the highways only. Aggressive driving is out of control coupled with distracted driving, and the roads have become a war zone. Really it is time for law enforcement and the government to do something.
It was time for that about ten or fifteen years ago. Now it's time to start jailing nutty and aggressive drivers--get anyone who willfully endangers others on the roads OFF the roads permanently. There is no place for negligence, incompetence, malevolence, and thrill seekers on the streets and highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Or better yet, allow drivers to press charges against reckless drivers for endangering their lives. Bring your dash cam to the police station, download video, fill out form with offenders license plate number, offender is fined.
Yep,that would be a great start. I'd go farther than a fine though... I'd go stiff fine the first time, and long jail sentence the second along with confiscation of auto and revocation of license permanently. Let's put those who can't or won't drive like sane individuals on public transportation where they can't kill somebody.

I understood the first time I ever drove a car that I had no right to endanger the lives and well being of others. I've never had so much as a parking ticket or wreck in forty years of driving. But the last few years, I absolutely HATE driving around my (metro) area. If I didn't live so far from my employment, I wouldn't even drive--at least not regularly. A combination of overly aggressive driver, drivers who are 100% clueless about traffic laws, and dumbasses who use their playtoy smartphones while driving make for a very toxic, very dangerous, and very nervwracking driving experience on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
The studies and stats agree with you.
Going 5 mph below the speed limit increases your chance of an accident vs going 5 mph above.
Depends. Statistics would agree with you. Physics would not. If going twenty miles per hour causes another vehicle going the speed limit to crash into me (because they presumably were dinking with their smartphone or whatever) then yes.

But, if it's raining like hell and my car hydroplanes and I hit a concrete pillar going eighty as opposed to hitting a concrete pillar going twenty, which crash would hold better chances for my survival? An ancillary question would be whether my car is more likely to hydroplane at eighty as opposed to twenty (the answer is a definite YES). It's all about common sense. Something that is quite lacking these days.

I occasionally drive a local canyon highway. There is a hairpin curve that is marked at 40 mph. How fast do you think the average car goes around that corner? There are so many crashes there that they put huge concrete crash barriers around the entire bend. There are constant crashes there all the time. People WILL NOT slow down. Stupid, plain and simple. It scares the hell out of me every time I drive through there when I either have a choice of driving foolishly or driving sane and having a moron glued to my back bumper giving me the finger. Zero common sense on the roads. People think they can break the laws of physics, which I wouldn't care if they killed themselves... but I do care when their stupidity kills others.

Quote:
Left lane sitters increase the chance of an accident.
Cruising below the speed limit/flow of traffic in the left lane, barring poor road conditions, is either incompetence or purposeful negligence. Folks who do that sort of thing should be jailed.

Last edited by ChrisC; Today at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 1,583,685 times
Quote:
Not according to statistics. They are up 14% since 2011. Cars are far safer than they were in the sixties and more drivers wear seatbelts which helps. Deaths are only part of the story. I personally know three people in the last two years have had life changing accidents because the fault of the other drivers. Two were distracted drivers that ran red lights and the other an aggressive driver who was not happy with the speed of traffic at an exit so tried to go around traffic in the median, ran right into the side of my friends car going very fast.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...ths-and-rates/

Sorry to hear about your friends, but your link does not support your assertion - look at the bottom graph and deaths per 100,000,000 mile driven and rate per 10,000 motor vehicles

Old Today, 01:28 PM

10,901 posts, read 10,618,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry to hear about your friends, but your link does not support your assertion - look at the bottom graph and deaths per 100,000,000 mile driven and rate per 10,000 motor vehicles
Your statistics do not reflect the whole story. Anyone who has driven for more than twenty or so years can see with his/her own two eyes how driver skill, attitude, and competence has gone downhill. All the seatbelts and fancy safety features in the world are not going to make up for operator incompetence.

Old Today, 03:38 PM

1,909 posts, read 550,213 times
Quote:
Easy for you to say. I am in a more congested area but that is no excuse. Bottom line, people need to stop driving like ahol++. Respect each other on the road as fellow human beings that we all are.
That is the excuse. More congested in this country areas have more jerks. Jerks drive worse, and make each other into worse jerks on the road. It works in England because people are more polite to each other, not because of the laws.
People outside the congested areas treat each other better, and the better traffic is a result of that. Nicer area have nicer people, and the driving reflects that.
You want things to change for your benefit, but you dont want to have to change. Thats not the way the world works when dealing with other people.
So you just have to move. Because unless all those people stop being a jerk at once, it will only get worse.

Old Today, 03:44 PM

1,909 posts, read 550,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are bad and/ or impaired drivers everywhere.

There are drivers who ignore traffic laws, everywhere.

All it takes is one bad and/ or impaired driver.
Not necessarily.
I noticed moving to south Jersey from North Jersey a huge difference in the way people treat each other. They are much nicer to each other down here and drive as such.
They also drive more cautious, so that if one impaired driver looks weird on the road, they already have enough room around the driver to avoid any collisions. So that one bad driver down here doesnt take other people out.
When I go to NYC its a totally different story. People are up each others butts and when something happens on a highway theres 10 cars involved.
When I drove to Ottawa Canada, everyone on the road had 4 car lengths between them and maintained a speed, no one was weaving in or out, and no one was speeding. I'd never seen anything like it before that, (nor after).

It depends on the mentality of the area.

Old Today, 03:59 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think I like that
You can always take them to civil court. Get good documentation, and then claim their tailgating or whatever caused you emotional distress.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

11,683 posts, read 8,524,113 times
The drivers in my town play leap frog while going 20 MPH over the speed limit. On a secondary road.

I stay off the freeways if possible. We have drivers from all over the world, who drive like they learned at home. That rule about not being responsible for anything beyond your side vision makes it fun. Especially when they pull out of their drive right in front of oncoming cars, expecting the receiving street to stop.

A solid red light means at least 3 more cars can proceed through.

Old Today, 04:43 PM

6,933 posts, read 1,466,431 times
Quote:
I never thought I would say this, but it is time for more severe traffic regulations. I might even go so far as say I would be okay with speed cameras on the highways only. Aggressive driving is out of control coupled with distracted driving, and the roads have become a war zone. Really it is time for law enforcement and the government to do something.
I actually agree with this. Many studies have shown that people will not do something they know is wrong if someone is watching.

And I wish that authorities would crack down and increase fines for cellphone use while driving!!!

Old Today, 05:12 PM

283 posts, read 181,569 times
Quote:
The studies and stats agree with you.
Going 5 mph below the speed limit increases your chance of an accident vs going 5 mph above. Left lane sitters increase the chance of an accident.
Um, again, I am not talking about going 5 over. I am talking about the aggressive drivers going 15, 25, 30 over. These are the problem drivers. Most people will not feel safe going this fast, and the difference in speeds is part of what makes the roads dangerous.

Old Today, 05:15 PM

283 posts, read 181,569 times
Chris @post 41. Very much agree with most of what you wrote. It is time to take the deaths and life changing accidents seriously. Needs to be handles at the local law enforcement and government levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies