U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:20 PM

283 posts, read 181,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Not necessarily.
I noticed moving to south Jersey from North Jersey a huge difference in the way people treat each other. They are much nicer to each other down here and drive as such.
They also drive more cautious, so that if one impaired driver looks weird on the road, they already have enough room around the driver to avoid any collisions. So that one bad driver down here doesnt take other people out.
When I go to NYC its a totally different story. People are up each others butts and when something happens on a highway theres 10 cars involved.
When I drove to Ottawa Canada, everyone on the road had 4 car lengths between them and maintained a speed, no one was weaving in or out, and no one was speeding. I'd never seen anything like it before that, (nor after).

It depends on the mentality of the area.
This. I live in a part of Central Florida. The drivers here are every bit as bad as I stated earlier. Even worse, go down to Miami Fort Lauderdale area. Crazy insane. The people I know that live down there say it is the people from areas like New York that are the most aggressive drivers. They hate the driving but families, jobs etc are there. When I lived in Michigan, big difference between drivers o the east and west side of the state. West side was bad but east was nuts.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:23 PM

1,008 posts, read 283,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
The studies and stats agree with you.
Going 5 mph below the speed limit increases your chance of an accident vs going 5 mph above. Left lane sitters increase the chance of an accident.
It has nothing to do with the left lane. People are slow in every lane. People wouldn't have to go "slow" in the left lane if people weren't going even slower in the other lanes... if they could stop gawking (at whatever), freaking out and slowing down to figure out what to do if someone needs to merge or they see a traffic barrel, slamming on the brakes when they see a cop even though they're already going the speed limit (I swear they forget they don't get brownie points for going *under* the speed limit), forgetting how to drive when a raindrop has fallen out of the sky in the last five hours, having no clue what to do when the light turns green, not paying attention at a left-turn light and nobody else gets through the light because they don't know how to get on the gas when it turns so people behind them can go through too, zooming up behind traffic that has been visibly slowing for half a mile and slamming on the brakes (and in other ways not paying attention to what's going on more than ten feet ahead of their front bumper), cutting in front of people because they have to get a car length ahead, pulling out in front of someone and then going slow (especially if there's nobody behind that person for a mile), trying to intimidate other drivers, etc., we'd all actually get where we're going in a normal amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I agree, I would too. The problem is you have people going way over what most are comfortable going. I am talking the drivers going 20-30 over. Tons of them out there. When they come up on slower traffic (not necessarily slow) they either get right on their butts or more usually start swerving in and out of lanes. This puts me and my loved ones and other’s loved ones lives at risk. It is BS!
Well, that's the other problem. I find the people complaining about "left lane sitters" are usually the ones who want to go 20 over and they're freaking out because someone else wants to go "only" 10-15 over, even if that person is consistently passing everyone to their right (how is it any better/safer if someone has to keep slamming on the brakes so they can merge into slower-moving traffic to the right, only to have to immediately pass again, and keep doing this all the way down the freeway?). I've never seen someone going below the speed limit in the left lane, and rarely *at* the speed limit-- it's just that there's always someone who wants to blow past someone going 10 over as if they're standing still.

Old Today, 05:30 PM

11,683 posts, read 8,524,113 times
Back in the olden days insurance company and their payouts got the law enforcement engaged.

Guess they just keep raising rates these days.

Old Today, 05:34 PM

5,151 posts, read 2,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry--not allowed. Police have to witness the event.

What is to stop people from making fake videos to harass someone they don't like?

And by the way, are people required to have dash cams? I would think every control freak a-hole and his brother would be filming with their cameras instead of watching the road in front of them. Probably would cause accidents.
those cams are hands free...……..

Old Today, 08:12 PM

1,909 posts, read 550,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This. I live in a part of Central Florida. The drivers here are every bit as bad as I stated earlier. Even worse, go down to Miami Fort Lauderdale area. Crazy insane. The people I know that live down there say it is the people from areas like New York that are the most aggressive drivers. They hate the driving but families, jobs etc are there. When I lived in Michigan, big difference between drivers o the east and west side of the state. West side was bad but east was nuts.
Florida?!? Oh man...
I would love to move to Florida so I wouldnt have to see snow anymore.

But I know about how bad the people are down there, and thats a major deterrent. Thats just as congested as NYC.

Last edited by Harry Hemi; Today at 08:24 PM..

Old Today, 09:25 PM

8,984 posts, read 5,139,942 times
time for more aggressive traffic regulations, no

but i would go for more testing at renewal. I tiik the test in 76 and has never took another test just pay the fee. maybe every ten years be good, to break the driving habit that been formed, it could be done on computers

Old Today, 09:26 PM

8,984 posts, read 5,139,942 times
i know i know somebody going say their great uncle cant read and that would be discrimnation. i really dont care any more. time to learn to read

Old Today, 09:48 PM

4,037 posts, read 2,265,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If one of them malfunctions, runs a red light, crashes into you and seriously injures you, who do you sue?
depends, if the fault lies in it's software, then I would say sue the company who created the software. if the fault lies in hardware, then sue the owner for not properly maintaining their vehicle.

But yes right now there is nothing really establish legally, but that's how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies