U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Today, 09:51 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,277 posts, read 1,443,094 times
Reputation: 3776

Advertisements

There should be a 2 week waiting period between a tragedy and any legislation designed to prevent its recurrence.


It takes at least a month to enact legislation to buy new pencils at city hall.

Make it two years.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 09:51 AM
 
23,604 posts, read 12,457,156 times
Reputation: 7500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
You'd think, but there are calls for McConnell to bring the senate back from vacation now so they can vote on a red flag gun bill that the house already has ready to go. When they have to they can whip those bills up quickly. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough? Just a number I pulled out of my head. The purpose is to keep these bills from becoming knee jerk reactions.

Sure -- it takes time to ensure legislation is written properly, etc.. I think the process in place to pass legislation takes that into consideration. Takes longer than two weeks to pass any legislation.

But something you seem to be overlooking -- none of the gun control legislation being proposed is 'new'...it really isn't any knee jerk reaction. The proposed legislation have been proposed many times over the years. That's hardly a knee jerk reaction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:51 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,263 posts, read 3,230,940 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You mean like the Patriot Act? Granted, that took a whole month, but still went through awfully quick.
Yes. I'm ashamed to say I supported it initially, precisely because it happened in the wake of such a horrible event. It has proven to be disastrous to our civil liberties.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
11,932 posts, read 8,342,518 times
Reputation: 20494
I assume we are talking about gun rights.

Mass shootings are a terrible problem in our society but what the Left does is they demonize the millions of law abiding gun owners when they claim that the very popular sporting rifle the Amorlite AR15 style needs to be banned and confiscated.



I own a fast car but I don't break the laws when I take it for a spin. I own knives but I don't go on stabbing sprees. I own gas cans for boat and lawn equipment but I have never felt the urge to fill them up light them on fire and throw them into a crowded room.



In the 1980's there was a rash of shootings in post offices where a disgruntled employee caved to the pressures of the job and would bring a gun to work to shoot his supervisor and anyone else that wronged him. It was called "going postal".

What did the post office do to stop this?



Something needs to be done but barring someone their Rights is not the right thing to do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:57 AM
 
23,604 posts, read 12,457,156 times
Reputation: 7500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Of course there is such a reaction. Couple week waiting period is arbitrary, yes. One might assume reasoned debate would take at least that long. The debate sometimes isn't reasoned. "Do something!" is a bulldust rallying cry, but powerful for the rabble.

If I understood a headline correctly, with Uncle Joe stating "If elected, I'm coming for your (rifles?)" he couldn't have given the Republicans a bigger gift. That son of a gun's goon squad coming by and removing or "coming for" guns, so called assault weapons, wow. Do I need to count the ways THAT won't work. If I do, I'll be reprimanded on this forum, so let's just not.

Oh, here's the quote: Fox News, 8/7 2019:

"The former vice president, in a CNN interview, said that a Biden administration would push for a “national buyback program” to get such firearms “off the street.”

Asked what he’d say to gun owners worried that Biden would be coming for their guns, he quickly answered: "Bingo! You're right, if you have an assault weapon." "


What a swine. Read the 2nd Amendment, and Supreme Court decisions upholding it, Stalin. Then come back with more "coming for" remarks, see exactly how far that gets you and the goon squad. Figures CNN would publish such drivel, too.
These sound bites from Biden are taken out of the full context of the interview.

He was referring to a ban on assault weapons and in the same interview clearly stated that there is no LEGAL ability to go into people's homes and take guns they own already. It was clear that that while he said 'take away assault rifles' he wasn't going to go after existing guns.

You have to watch the whole interview.
And no question Biden totally set himself up for those sound bites to be used out of context......he should have known better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:59 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 550,213 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Sure -- it takes time to ensure legislation is written properly, etc.. I think the process in place to pass legislation takes that into consideration. Takes longer than two weeks to pass any legislation.

But something you seem to be overlooking -- none of the gun control legislation being proposed is 'new'...it really isn't any knee jerk reaction. The proposed legislation have been proposed many times over the years. That's hardly a knee jerk reaction.
Exactly, for at least the last 5 years we have been seeing the mass murders/terrorism happening with nothing being done by politicians. Talk about two weeks, the occurrences are getting more frequent and this legislation is years overdue. Its not like congress performs knee jerk reaction legislation for anything thats needed in this country. It certainly wont be for something that most of them get lobby money for.

I hardly believe the motive for any of these threads involving avoiding gun control is for anything other than being able to buy more killing pistols with no regulations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:11 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,263 posts, read 3,230,940 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I assume we are talking about gun rights.

Mass shootings are a terrible problem in our society but what the Left does is they demonize the millions of law abiding gun owners when they claim that the very popular sporting rifle the Amorlite AR15 style needs to be banned and confiscated.



I own a fast car but I don't break the laws when I take it for a spin. I own knives but I don't go on stabbing sprees. I own gas cans for boat and lawn equipment but I have never felt the urge to fill them up light them on fire and throw them into a crowded room.



In the 1980's there was a rash of shootings in post offices where a disgruntled employee caved to the pressures of the job and would bring a gun to work to shoot his supervisor and anyone else that wronged him. It was called "going postal".

What did the post office do to stop this?



Something needs to be done but barring someone their Rights is not the right thing to do.
Gun law is the order of the day but I'm not just referring to that. Ohiogirl brings up a good example with the Patriot act. We never should've been so hasty with that kind of wide sweeping legislation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:25 AM
 
Location: FL
15,956 posts, read 8,894,284 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Knee jerk legislation is often more damaging in the long term than whatever it is designed to prevent or keep us safe from. Cooler heads should always prevail in the wake of emotional events that can cause people to lose their wits temporarily and make decisions that logic would show to be unwise. A two week mandatory waiting period between an event and legislation designed to prevent future occurrences of that event would ensure that at least some of the initial knee jerk tendencies are taken out of the decision making. It would also prevent politicians from taking advantage of tragedies to further their pre-existing agendas.
or McConnell could get off his butt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:27 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,263 posts, read 3,230,940 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post

I hardly believe the motive for any of these threads involving avoiding gun control is for anything other than being able to buy more killing pistols with no regulations.
I haven't fired a weapon since leaving the military.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:30 AM
 
Location: FL
15,956 posts, read 8,894,284 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
You'd think, but there are calls for McConnell to bring the senate back from vacation now so they can vote on a red flag gun bill that the house already has ready to go. When they have to they can whip those bills up quickly. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough? Just a number I pulled out of my head. The purpose is to keep these bills from becoming knee jerk reactions.
There have been at least 17 deadly mass shootings in the US so far in 2019
https://abcnews.go.com/US/deadly-mas...ry?id=63449799

It seems they have had more than 2 weeks. McConnell needs to come back and do his job.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top