U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM

46,520 posts, read 34,335,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What makes you think government can do anything to reduce mass shootings or other wise increase "gun safety"?

That it hasn't already tried, with the result that mass shootings are getting WORSE?
The sale of fully automatic weapons to civilians was banned in 1986. Reportedly there remains about 600,000 in civilian hands. mostly owned by collectors.

When was the last time a fully automatic weapon was used in a mass shooting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 05:24 PM

46,520 posts, read 34,335,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Not I said the fly. I think this is one of the worst pieces of gun legislation to be put up for a vote for a long time. Seems designed specifically to be abused.
What legislation are you talking about?

The bill passed by the House in February has nothing to do with taking guns. It simply seeks to subject most private transfers of firearms to a background check.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:26 PM

32,130 posts, read 20,241,731 times
It takes over 2 weeks for legislation to be written most of the time, to get passed all the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 7,842,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well there are plenty that are not since around 250,000 firearms are lost or stolen each year but I'm glad your guns are secure. These shooters do have an impact on your rights not to mention your life.
Then go after the people who steal them and leave those of us who aren’t criminals be. You actually consider it logical to blame law abiding gun owners when someone commits a crime with a firearm that they obtained by committing a crime. How freaking ridiculous can you get?

Quote:
The designers of the constitution could have never predicted this and I have no faith that a government that cant even ban bump stocks can develop meaningful legislation.
You have no idea what the founding fathers could have predicted. You would have had to read the writings of the founding fathers in order to understand their mindset, and considering your past arguments you never have.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What legislation are you talking about?

The bill passed by the House in February has nothing to do with taking guns. It simply seeks to subject most private transfers of firearms to a background check.
The transfer of property between two legal adults is no more a matter for government intervention than sex between two legal adults.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:54 PM

15,196 posts, read 13,519,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Perhaps this should be the gun purchase route:

“How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion:
– mandatory 48-hour waiting period,
– parental permission,
– a note from his doctor proving he understands what he’s about to do,
– a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence…
Let’s close down all but one gun shop in every state and
– make him travel hundreds of miles,
– take time off work, and
– stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun.
Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.”

Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM

4,960 posts, read 976,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Knee jerk legislation is often more damaging in the long term than whatever it is designed to prevent or keep us safe from. Cooler heads should always prevail in the wake of emotional events that can cause people to lose their wits temporarily and make decisions that logic would show to be unwise. A two week mandatory waiting period between an event and legislation designed to prevent future occurrences of that event would ensure that at least some of the initial knee jerk tendencies are taken out of the decision making. It would also prevent politicians from taking advantage of tragedies to further their pre-existing agendas.
Why do many things sound better said than done?

Old Today, 04:50 AM

33,478 posts, read 14,112,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Then go after the people who steal them and leave those of us who aren’t criminals be. You actually consider it logical to blame law abiding gun owners when someone commits a crime with a firearm that they obtained by committing a crime. How freaking ridiculous can you get?

You have no idea what the founding fathers could have predicted. You would have had to read the writings of the founding fathers in order to understand their mindset, and considering your past arguments you never have.
Well as I stated there are around 250,000 guns lost or stolen each year, I'm betting quite a few of them thought they were law abiding owners before they lost their guns. The proliferation of guns in this country are absurd, owners leaving them laying around the car or in their shopping cart. Many owners are totally irresponsible because that's our culture.

You think the founding fathers could have predicted someone walking into a Walmart with an AK-47 and mowing down shoppers, I don't quite think this is what they had in mind.

Old Today, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Well as I stated there are around 250,000 guns lost or stolen each year, I'm betting quite a few of them thought they were law abiding owners before they lost their guns. The proliferation of guns in this country are absurd, owners leaving them laying around the car or in their shopping cart. Many owners are totally irresponsible because that's our culture.

You think the founding fathers could have predicted someone walking into a Walmart with an AK-47 and mowing down shoppers, I don't quite think this is what they had in mind.
You prove my point. Being the victim of a crime doesn't make you a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies