Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 04:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Knee jerk legislation is often more damaging in the long term than whatever it is designed to prevent or keep us safe from. Cooler heads should always prevail in the wake of emotional events that can cause people to lose their wits temporarily and make decisions that logic would show to be unwise. A two week mandatory waiting period between an event and legislation designed to prevent future occurrences of that event would ensure that at least some of the initial knee jerk tendencies are taken out of the decision making. It would also prevent politicians from taking advantage of tragedies to further their pre-existing agendas.
2 weeks, eh?

There's quite an accumulation of sensational mass shooting tragedies, going back years.

Only Federal legislation I am aware of is the ban on bump stocks which was proposed by Trump just days after the Parkland mass shooting and took more than a year to be effective. The Parkland shooting did not involve a bump stock. The 2017 Las Vegas shooting occurred 4.5 months prior to Parkland.

Trump wanted to demonstrate was "doing something." It's been challenged in the courts. Anyone's guess if it will stick.

Obama also faced inaction by Congress and did an EO adding Social Security to the database to temporarily stop someone declared by Social Security to be mentally unfit to take care of his financial affairs, from buying a firearm. It also included an appeals process. Some media, including Fox News, erroneously portrayed this EO as preventing anyone from receiving a Social Security benefit from buying a firearm. Trump seemed to take great pleasure in reversing the EO.

17 states have some semblance of a Red Flag Law and appeal process. No two states have the same law. Only one state, allows nearly anyone to petition the court to put a temporary hold on the purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You'd think, but there are calls for McConnell to bring the senate back from vacation now so they can vote on a red flag gun bill that the house already has ready to go. When they have to they can whip those bills up quickly. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough? Just a number I pulled out of my head. The purpose is to keep these bills from becoming knee jerk reactions.
Actually, the call back is for the Senate to debate a bill passed on a bipartisan basis by the House back in February that seeks to compel most private transfers of firearms to be subject to a background check. It excludes gifts between spouses.

While I am not opposed to increased background checks, this bill would not have prevented any recent spectacular mass shooting.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Perhaps this should be the gun purchase route:

“How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion:
– mandatory 48-hour waiting period,
– parental permission,
– a note from his doctor proving he understands what he’s about to do,
– a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence…
Let’s close down all but one gun shop in every state and
– make him travel hundreds of miles,
– take time off work, and
– stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun.
Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.”
Now that's a plan !

Old 08-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Something needs to be done but barring someone their Rights is not the right thing to do.
The public expects Congress to " do something".

Old 08-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
These sound bites from Biden are taken out of the full context of the interview.

He was referring to a ban on assault weapons and in the same interview clearly stated that there is no LEGAL ability to go into people's homes and take guns they own already. It was clear that that while he said 'take away assault rifles' he wasn't going to go after existing guns.

You have to watch the whole interview.
And no question Biden totally set himself up for those sound bites to be used out of context......he should have known better.
It might have been intentional.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Exactly, for at least the last 5 years we have been seeing the mass murders/terrorism happening with nothing being done by politicians. Talk about two weeks, the occurrences are getting more frequent and this legislation is years overdue. Its not like congress performs knee jerk reaction legislation for anything thats needed in this country. It certainly wont be for something that most of them get lobby money for.

I hardly believe the motive for any of these threads involving avoiding gun control is for anything other than being able to buy more killing pistols with no regulations.
Suicides tend to occur in local clusters.
Sensational mass shootings are occurring in a national and occasionally international cluster.

Every sensational mass shooting inspires the next. As it relates to the El Paso shooter, his manifesto makes clear the NZ mosque mass shooting was one of his inspirations.

We have no idea about the motives of the Dayton shooter other than it did not target a particular ethnic or race. One thing is certain, he was aware of the ElPaso shooting when he made the decision to go for it.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM

11,111 posts, read 10,664,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Just reading the pro gun no matter what comments here tells you why a sensible solution to the murder by guns issue is as it is. So many nuts out there think there should be absolutely no restriction to guns for anyone. It blows my mind to think there are so many crazy people in the US. Even more frightening to think these people also likely possess guns.
There is exactly one and only one way to legally place restrictions on firearms. That way is to repeal the 2nd Amendment through the constitutional process. It doesn’t matter whether you agree with people having firearms. It doesn’t matter if you, despite 200 years of evidence to the contrary, erroneously blame firearms for crime. As long as there is a constitutional amendment which protects the right to keep and bear firearms I and other constitutionalists will fight to keep any more firearms legislation from passing. If we start ignoring the parts of the constitution we don’t agree with, we will no longer be the United States.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
or McConnell could get off his butt.
Senators debate and vote. The vote will have consequences, regardless of a yeah or nay.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I haven't fired a weapon since leaving the military.
Either has my husband. Vietnam was enough for him.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 PM

57,037 posts, read 26,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

My guns are secure. The actions of the mentally deranged have no bearing upon my rights.
Well there are plenty that are not since around 250,000 firearms are lost or stolen each year but I'm glad your guns are secure. These shooters do have an impact on your rights not to mention your life.

The designers of the constitution could have never predicted this and I have no faith that a government that cant even ban bump stocks can develop meaningful legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies