U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:26 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 7 days ago)

8,262 posts, read 3,230,940 times

Advertisements

Knee jerk legislation is often more damaging in the long term than whatever it is designed to prevent or keep us safe from. Cooler heads should always prevail in the wake of emotional events that can cause people to lose their wits temporarily and make decisions that logic would show to be unwise. A two week mandatory waiting period between an event and legislation designed to prevent future occurrences of that event would ensure that at least some of the initial knee jerk tendencies are taken out of the decision making. It would also prevent politicians from taking advantage of tragedies to further their pre-existing agendas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:28 AM

23,603 posts, read 12,457,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Knee jerk legislation is often more damaging in the long term than whatever it is designed to prevent or keep us safe from. Cooler heads should always prevail in the wake of emotional events that can cause people to lose their wits temporarily and make decisions that logic would show to be unwise. A two week mandatory waiting period between an event and legislation designed to prevent future occurrences of that event would ensure that at least some of the initial knee jerk tendencies are taken out of the decision making. It would also prevent politicians from taking advantage of tragedies to further their pre-existing agendas.
That would be easy enough -- it takes that long to write the legislation, to get it in the sytem, etc.

Old Today, 09:34 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 7 days ago)

8,262 posts, read 3,230,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That would be easy enough -- it takes that long to write the legislation, to get it in the sytem, etc.
You'd think, but there are calls for McConnell to bring the senate back from vacation now so they can vote on a red flag gun bill that the house already has ready to go. When they have to they can whip those bills up quickly. Maybe 2 weeks isn't enough? Just a number I pulled out of my head. The purpose is to keep these bills from becoming knee jerk reactions.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 3,304,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Of course there is such a reaction. Couple week waiting period is arbitrary, yes. One might assume reasoned debate would take at least that long. The debate sometimes isn't reasoned. "Do something!" is a bulldust rallying cry, but powerful for the rabble.

If I understood a headline correctly, with Uncle Joe stating "If elected, I'm coming for your (rifles?)" he couldn't have given the Republicans a bigger gift. That son of a gun's goon squad coming by and removing or "coming for" guns, so called assault weapons, wow. Do I need to count the ways THAT won't work. If I do, I'll be reprimanded on this forum, so let's just not.

Oh, here's the quote: Fox News, 8/7 2019:

"The former vice president, in a CNN interview, said that a Biden administration would push for a “national buyback program” to get such firearms “off the street.”

Asked what he’d say to gun owners worried that Biden would be coming for their guns, he quickly answered: "Bingo! You're right, if you have an assault weapon." "

What a swine. Read the 2nd Amendment, and Supreme Court decisions upholding it, Stalin. Then come back with more "coming for" remarks, see exactly how far that gets you and the goon squad. Figures CNN would publish such drivel, too.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

27,805 posts, read 17,785,064 times
Common sense regulations to prevent dangerous, irrational acts in the heat of the moment. I like it.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

12,086 posts, read 16,846,065 times
There has been an average of one mass shooting every 12.7 days in 2019. That's less than 2 weeks.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 1,882,826 times
It is rather odd that some are always proposing waiting periods for some things (abortion, legislation, etc..) while at the same time thinking people should be able to have immediate access to guns.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,922,246 times
Unfortunately, politicians (and the media) have discovered that the American public will tolerate anything .... and then quickly forget it ever happened. It seems like there is nothing so horrific or bizarre that cannot be completely obliterated from the American consciousness ... in only a few days after it leaves the headlines.

Also, remember that most of the 'ambulance chasing politicians' are not about actually passing legislation or doing anything, but, about sound-bytes and splashy headlines!

Old Today, 09:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 1,882,826 times
Perhaps this should be the gun purchase route:

“How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion:
– mandatory 48-hour waiting period,
– parental permission,
– a note from his doctor proving he understands what he’s about to do,
– a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence…
Let’s close down all but one gun shop in every state and
– make him travel hundreds of miles,
– take time off work, and
– stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun.
Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.”

Old Today, 09:49 AM

32,513 posts, read 60,112,474 times
You mean like the Patriot Act? Granted, that took a whole month, but still went through awfully quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies