U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM

33,544 posts, read 14,139,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I called them a clip in Vietnam" If you weren't laughed at and corrected ....."
I did 2 TOURS in NAM AND never HEARD "CLIP" used instead of magazine when talking about the M-16.
Maybe you were in the rear, not true where I was. The point is that the poster knew exactly what I meant.
Point being that an AR15 can do enough damage in seconds same as an M16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 18,664,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe you were in the rear, not true where I was. The point is that the poster knew exactly what I meant.
And what exactly makes the AR15 or AK semi auto rifle more lethal than a Remington 742 or such (a legendary hunters rifle) semi auto rifle? Or for that matter the M1 Garand? What is so magically lethal about a AR-15 compared to other semi auto rifles that aren't military look a likes?

Why ban the AR-15 and not the 742?

If you answer truthfully it will be " well ugh the AR-15 isn't more lethal than those other rifles"

The only argument that could be made is hi-capacity mags are available for the AR-15 but other than that the mechanics are the same.

But I will tell you from experience the AR is a very accurate rifle more so than average hunting rifles which makes it a great target precision rifle but maniacs don't shoot a 100 yards plus usually do they?, no they shoot at pistol distances. Al those maniacs the school, mall or Walmart shooters could have done the same damage with a handgun or shotgun, the only one recent where distance mattered was the Las Vegas shooter.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 PM

9,979 posts, read 4,699,889 times
Quote:
And absolutely no different than most hunting rifles. Do you want those gone too?

Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And what exactly makes the AR15 or AK semi auto rifle more lethal than a Remington 742 or such (a legendary hunters rifle) semi auto rifle? Or for that matter the M1 Garand? What is so magically lethal about a AR-15 compared to other semi auto rifles that aren't military look a likes?

If you answer truthfully it will be " well ugh the AR-15 isn't more lethal than those other rifles"

The only argument that could be made is hi-capacity mags are available for the AR-15 but other than that the mechanics are the same.
I have a 27 round magazine for my old semi auto 22 rifle.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

But I will tell you from experience the AR is a very accurate rifle more so than average hunting rifles which makes it a great target precision rifle but maniacs don't shoot a 100 yards plus usually do they?, no they shoot at pistol distances
I'm sure there are other rifles, just addressing the point that the AR-15 isn't much different than the M16 and the AK47. I don't recall any of those being used in any of the mass shootings.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And absolutely no different than most hunting rifles. Do you want those gone too?
If we are going to do this correctly yes we need to restrict other guns including certain handguns but that is pretty much a fantasy in our gun culture. Background checks and red flags will be difficult enough and not that effective.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are other rifles, just addressing the point that the AR-15 isn't much different than the M16 and the AK47. I don't recall any of those being used in any of the mass shootings.
The other hunting rifles including my old 22 function just the same. There are millions of other semi auto rifles being used for hunting. They all are one shot for one trigger pull.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 18,664,993 times
Quote:
Because the AR-15 or carbine version are the most popular rifles in America among law abiding citizens not just criminals. The most popular car is bound to be used in the most DUI or such even though most owners of said car drive responsibly.

Go to any rifle range in America WHERE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN BANNED ALREADY like California or NY and you will see half the lanes occupied using a AR-15 type rifle to target shoot. They are everywhere owned by many people.

However ban them, a maniac will just use a different gun. It is the point I have been trying make time and time again.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:05 PM

So if I need to defend my family from someone with a semi auto, because criminals are not going to give them up, I would be expected to use a muzzle loader?

Old 08-12-2019, 03:19 PM

35,730 posts, read 32,470,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I probably have enough ammunition to last a lifetime.
With all these stupid laws I like to work up to resized, trimmed and primered cases I store in clear storage bins. Then I can custom out a few hundred at a time. Of course I have the usual 5.56, etc handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or