U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 18,666,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So if I need to defend my family from someone with a semi auto, because criminals are not going to give them up, I would be expected to use a muzzle loader?
What will happen if they ban them is the next maniac will just use a different kind of gun and those that voted to support it will say " but but I thought we made these guns illegal to kill like that?" and the politicians will say " well maybe we didn't stop it but we got rid of some of the KINDS of guns" and of course they will still hail a "assault weapons ban" as a success.

Even Biden in a recent interview admitted the last ban did next to nothing but he then just said " but even still do we need more continued to be available?"

Biden " bingo yes I am coming from your guns" see vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4vPgyRQY8

https://www.mediaite.com/election-20...g-point-bingo/

Last edited by lionking; 08-12-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 18,666,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And what exactly makes the AR15 or AK semi auto rifle more lethal than a Remington 742 or such (a legendary hunters rifle) semi auto rifle? Or for that matter the M1 Garand? What is so magically lethal about a AR-15 compared to other semi auto rifles that aren't military look a likes?

Why ban the AR-15 and not the 742?

If you answer truthfully it will be " well ugh the AR-15 isn't more lethal than those other rifles"

The only argument that could be made is hi-capacity mags are available for the AR-15 but other than that the mechanics are the same.

But I will tell you from experience the AR is a very accurate rifle more so than average hunting rifles which makes it a great target precision rifle but maniacs don't shoot a 100 yards plus usually do they?, no they shoot at pistol distances. Al those maniacs the school, mall or Walmart shooters could have done the same damage with a handgun or shotgun, the only one recent where distance mattered was the Las Vegas shooter.
to expand on reply this is what comes next as we are already seeing from crafty anti-gun people, they just start labeling ALL semi auto gun " assault weapons" and look to ban semi auto guns completely right Travis?

Of course then a maniac gets a revolver and a pump shotgun like in Texas school incident and proceeds to kill as many anyway as a semi auto would.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:54 PM

10,478 posts, read 6,370,482 times
Quote:
And what exactly makes the AR15 or AK semi auto rifle more lethal than a Remington 742 or such (a legendary hunters rifle) semi auto rifle? Or for that matter the M1 Garand? What is so magically lethal about a AR-15 compared to other semi auto rifles that aren't military look a likes?

Why ban the AR-15 and not the 742?

If you answer truthfully it will be " well ugh the AR-15 isn't more lethal than those other rifles"

The only argument that could be made is hi-capacity mags are available for the AR-15 but other than that the mechanics are the same.

But I will tell you from experience the AR is a very accurate rifle more so than average hunting rifles which makes it a great target precision rifle but maniacs don't shoot a 100 yards plus usually do they?, no they shoot at pistol distances. Al those maniacs the school, mall or Walmart shooters could have done the same damage with a handgun or shotgun, the only one recent where distance mattered was the Las Vegas shooter.
And that is the answer the anti gun people have zero clue how to answer. There isn't a difference and they know it, they've been told enough times. They know what they want , and in this time of "the one that screams loudest, the longest" gets their way. Look how far things have gone now, like water etching stone, it just takes time.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM

33,549 posts, read 14,144,668 times
Quote:
Because the AR-15 or carbine version are the most popular rifles in America among law abiding citizens not just criminals. The most popular car is bound to be used in the most DUI or such even though most owners of said car drive responsibly.

Go to any rifle range in America WHERE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN BANNED ALREADY like California or NY and you will see half the lanes occupied using a AR-15 type rifle to target shoot. They are everywhere owned by many people.

However ban them, a maniac will just use a different gun. It is the point I have been trying make time and time again.
The second amendment was supposed to be about protection, not a use for sporting. Yes of course they are popular but also dangerous in the hands of an assailant.

The assault weapons ban was weak and ineffective if they are really going to have do it correctly it needs to be more broad. Much too easy to get these weapons.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,909,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You're all out WRONG! All it takes are enough evil minds in control of government to totally destroy all those points you made. Evil minds would certainly not be against destroying their own friends, family and neighborhoods. World history if full of accounts of how evil minds have killed millions of people. Evil people must simply not be allowed to prevail. The situation isn't about left, right or mental illness. It's about pure evil.
THANK YOU FOR MAKING A STRONG CASE FOR THE 2ND AMENDMENT! But from reading your previous posts, somehow I doubt that was your intention?

If "evil people must simply not be allowed to prevail". And by your own admission: "All it takes are enough evil minds in control of government to totally destroy all those points you made." Then how do you justify that only government forces should be allowed to possess so called "military style assault weapons?" These would be the same evil minds that you would be willing to relinquish your civil rights to, all in the name of public safety and the greater good?

So according to your logic, the majority of members in the armed forces, national guard and law enforcement have evil minds? That the majority of them would willfully carry out the orders of those who have evil minds in government? That they would willfully destroy their own family, children, friends and neighborhoods leaving them with absolutely nothing to come back to? No food, no running water, no housing, NOTHING! Except for rubble of course. Because that would be the end result of the military waging war against their own citizens. If that's the case then it's quite obvious why we have the 2nd Amendment. If anything then all law abiding citizens who are not members of the military and law enforcement should be able to lawfully possess fully automatic weapons along with any and all types of military hardware and weapons that any individual(s) can afford. I'm glad that you'd be okay with that.

Quote:
The debate over gun control can be summed up thusly: Those of us who don't like guns in the hands of our non-costumed brethren, will vote to ensure men with guns, under the guise of the "law," will come and take the property that is rightfully yours, killing you should you resist our will sufficiently.
This is what we call "violence by-proxy" and makes the voter for violence no less culpable in the extortion and death that will ensue.

As Stefan Molyneux correctly observed; if a person claims they are non-violent and are for “gun control” they are not truly anti-gun nor are they non-violent people - because the reality is that guns and violence will be needed to disarm innocent law abiding people.

This is because those people who claim they are anti-gun and anti-violence, who claim to support “gun control,” will need the credible threat of police violence and the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns should they resist the attempt to further centralize their monopoly on violence.

So those who claim to be anti-gun and anti-violence are really very pro-gun and very pro-violence. They ultimately believe that only government officials (which are of course portrayed as reliable, honest, moral, and virtuous) should be allowed to have guns. This obviously flies in the face of reality as the 20th century has proven once and for all.

It’s important to note that those who advocate this type of centralized monopoly of violence do so as cowards, because it’s not their lives 
on the line, rather they advocate others using violence on their behalf in
order to force their misguided views on innocent people who wish to do nothing other than protect themselves and other innocents.

There is no such thing as "gun control," there is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political class and the forces they control which, as recent history has proven is a murderous nightmare for the peace loving, disenfranchised, and disarmed citizenry.--Ron Danielowski

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM

37,645 posts, read 16,323,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The US military never used the AR-15, from what I understand. The AR-15 is a commercialized semi-automatic only version of the Military M-16 which had a full-auto option. Aside from the AR-15 being modular in construction, it is no different than any other semi-auto (one trigger pull=1 bullet) hunting rifle, handgun, gopher plinker, and so on. For decades, the Mini-14 was the farm kid go to, for eliminating gophers from the cattle ranches. Same round, same semi-auto function as the AR-15.
Most ignorant anti-gunners believe AR stands for Assault Rifle!

Last edited by Quick Enough; Yesterday at 06:28 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why the hell is the murder rate by gun going up this year in Republican controlled Tulsa?
Tulsa is still NOT in the top 10.

"
Is Tulsa Democrat or Republican?
The Republican candidate has carried Oklahoma in every presidential election since 1968, often by large margins. However, Oklahoma voters would split their political allegiances (electing Democrats for local government, but Republicans for national office).

Politics of Oklahoma - Wikipedia

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Except they didn't. A ban is symbolic. We have a "ban" in CA and I just bought another AR. The only way to do an ACTUAL ban would be to repeal the 2nd.
I didn't mention Ca, did I?

I DIDN'T just for the reason you cite. Maybe you should actually READ what is posted INSTEAD of jumping to conclusions NOT stated.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
"the government is fixing to ban or heavily restrict sales of semi-automatic weapons.."

States like NY have ALREADY done it."

"January 15, 2013, the state assault weapons ban was made more restrictive by the NY SAFE Act."
" *All rifles classified as assault weapons must be registered with the state by January 15, 2014. NOTE: Different laws apply for NYC"

And what happens if you are FOUND WITH AN UNREGISTERED SO-CALLED "ASSAULT WEAPON"?

"Possession of assault weapons is prohibited,"

"Assault weapons

State law defines an assault weapon as:[28]
  • Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and one or more of the following:
    • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    • Barrel shroud that can be used as a handhold
    • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm
    • A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock[30]
  • Semi-automatic shotguns with one or more of the following:[31]
    • Folding or telescoping stock
    • Thumbhole stock
    • A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand
    • A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 7 rounds
    • The ability to accept a detachable magazine"
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

Each new gun law they pass gets STRICTER and STRICTER.

Last edited by Quick Enough; Yesterday at 05:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure we can erect walls and checkpoints, that sounds like a great idea. How about universally stricter gun laws so that we don't have states in the export business.
"How about universally stricter gun laws"

As long as they comply with the 2nd amendment.

The PROBLEM most anti-gunners have, is they DON'T want to abide by the 2nd amendment.

Like I has said over and over, If you want to AMEND the 2nd amendment, GO FOR IT! Until then it is all just hot air and wishful thinking.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe you were in the rear, not true where I was. The point is that the poster knew exactly what I meant.
Point being that an AR15 can do enough damage in seconds same as an M16.
"Maybe you were in the rear,"

MAYBE you should NOT make assumptions on things you know NOTHING about.

I repeat," where I was" , "If you weren't laughed at and corrected ....."

I spent some time RIGHT ON THE DMZ. Can't get any closer to "action" then that and MANY other "HOT"

Maybe the Army or Air Force did not care what you called it but that is NOT the case with the people I dealt with. You'd get your as.ed chewed off if you didn't use the CORRECT nomenclature for ALL things.

I heard a Navy Chief chew out a lower ranking Petty Officer for calling a floor the "deck", which is the proper term aboard ship, telling the PO that you MUST use the PROPER nomenclature WHERE YOU ARE at ALL times.

"The point is that the poster knew exactly what I meant." Using the WRONG nomenclature IS WRONG. Just like claiming the AR-15 .an "ASSAULT WEAPON"!

Most people when they hear "assault weapon", they think of a military rifle which is WHY the anti-gunners and the media uses it all the time. They WANT mindless people to BELIEVE it IS a military weapon.

"The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[16] In this strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[2][3][4] The AR-15 does NOT have a SELECTIVE FIRE OPTION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Last edited by Quick Enough; Yesterday at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or