Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What use does an AK-47 have in the hands of US civilians?
Hunting and target shooting. The ones you can buy are semi auto just like almost all rifles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So because they didn't prosecute a large enough percentage the laws isn't working, the denial of thousands of people means a law isn't working.

The solution is in greater control over guns, universal background checks, more severe penalties, increased waiting periods and a ban on assault weapons. They cant even ban bump stocks so I don't have much fait.
We already have universal BG checks...No mass shooter has ever used an assault weapon.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
This is why you liberals can't think straight.

The increased gun sales are not because "mass shootings".... they are caused by the over-reaction to those mass shootings by politicians who use every opportunity to clamour for restricting guns.

And, as always, nothing changes anyway.
If nothing changes anyway - and I do agree that nothing ever changes - then why are gun owners scrambling to buy tons of new guns after every shooting? If, after every one of these shootings there are politicians clamoring to add restrictions on guns, but those restrictions never happen, then one would think that by now gun owners would have learned that nothing ever happens after these shootings. And thus, there is no need to run out and stock up on AK-47's.

So I would say the over-reaction is by the gun owners who are scrambling to buy something that is never going to be restricted. They're probably just using it as an excuse to buy more guns.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If nothing changes anyway - and I do agree that nothing ever changes - then why are gun owners scrambling to buy tons of new guns after every shooting? If, after every one of these shootings there are politicians clamoring to add restrictions on guns, but those restrictions never happen, then one would think that by now gun owners would have learned that nothing ever happens after these shootings. And thus, there is no need to run out and stock up on AK-47's.

So I would say the over-reaction is by the gun owners who are scrambling to buy something that is never going to be restricted. They're probably just using it as an excuse to buy more guns.
Many of those are new gun owners wanting protection. The number of women buying is escalating. Go to a range, they are full of women learning to shoot.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many of those are new gun owners wanting protection. The number of women buying is escalating. Go to a range, they are full of women learning to shoot.
And all of these new owners were born yesterday and have never followed the news until the very latest shooting?

Uh huh, right.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And all of these new owners were born yesterday and have never followed the news until the very latest shooting?

Uh huh, right.
Every time I go to a range after the threats to change the law, there are a bunch of new people.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Gun sales surging.

Liberals will never learn.

Thank you for the profits I will be enjoying.
My Gun dealer used to say the best things that ever happened to his business was Obama and Holder. Like many I preferred to deal with 1 trusted dealer/ gunsmith. I would go with him to the wholesaler to pick up orders.

Back in 2000 we would buy $1200 to $2000 worth on a run. 22 ammo was almost free hahaha.

By 2016 his orders had tripled and the cost of 22's had gone through the roof and were constantly on back order. 22's the only rounds I couldn't reload. Thanks to the dems my Dillan was always busy.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Every time I go to a range after the threats to change the law, there are a bunch of new people.
And I repeat ...

Were all of those new owners born yesterday and have never followed the news until the very latest shooting?

Uh huh, right.

No, the reality is, THEY are over-reacting.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We simply want to make it harder for the next Adam Lanza to legally purchase a gun. Why is this so difficult?????
Indeed.

Except the problem in an Adam Lanza type sitch is that he didn't purchase any guns. His mother had a big stash 'o guns and rifles and she thought it was a nice bonding hobby she and severely mentally compromised son shared. That is of course until he took a couple guns, shot her head almost off completely the morning of the massacre, then went on his merry way to the school to obliterate 6 yr olds and teachers.

It's not enough to identify compromised young adults (though that would certainly go a long way as step 1), it's vital for the family and friends of the mentally compromised person to be investigated to make sure said compromised person has no existing or easy access to weapons.

Mommy wasn't smart enough or aware enough to understand that guns/ammo and severely mentally compromised kids never ever go together, no exceptions.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:09 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Dept of Homeland Security should be tasked with:

- finding/using high tech tools (and using high tech tools) to identify and locate at-risk individuals in the U.S. who could be showing signs related to mass shooters.

- following up on every report given about some kid in a school who is making threats, making a list of people to kill, etc, etc.

- using every high tech tool in conjunction with the NSA to infiltrate online forums, the dark web, search engines to find anyone who has or is making threats, within the last month, last week, and on a daily basis.

- there should be some way of using technology/highdef cameras to scan and visually identify any person who is armed with a rifle and/or certain types of guns, wearing a kevlar vest or other key signatures, within 500+ yards of a school, populated areas, malls, etc.

This is a fight that needs to happen using the best technology, as widely as possible. The technology exists already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies