U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

25,173 posts, read 9,805,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The civil war was organized and directed by the government, it wasn't an organic upraising of armed American citizens. BTW where were all those freedom loving armed Americans during the Jim Crow era, when black people were having their rights trampled on everyday? Where were freedom loving armed Americans when the police sicked dogs on civil rights protesters in Alabama. Where were the freedom loving armed Americans when Japanese people were forced into camps? Nowhere to be found. I have zero faith that armed Americans will ever stand up for our rights, they never have and never will.
So you fully recognize that the State sucks when it comes to protecting others but not only that it likes to kill innocents as if it was a bodily function.

Check.

You also fully recognize that other individuals suck when it comes to protecting innocents.

Check.

Soooo...

Why is it that you're against an individual having the right to defend himself as he sees fit?

Who else is going to save you? The tooth fairy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

2,197 posts, read 666,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So you fully recognize that the State sucks when it comes to protecting others but not only that it likes to kill innocents as if it was a bodily function.

Check.

You also fully recognize that other individuals suck when it comes to protecting innocents.

Check.

Soooo...

Why is it that you're against an individual having the right to defend himself as he sees fit?

Who else is going to save you? The tooth fairy?
The state absolutely sucks at protecting rights, but armed Americans have also been the cause of some of the worst injustices in American history. Massacring Native Americans, killing runaway slaves, etc. Also a single individual has zero power in our system, armed or otherwise. If you think owning a gun gives you some sort of power then you are delusional.

Old Today, 04:59 AM

37,550 posts, read 16,286,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No, a big part of my identity is being a rational human being, and not feeling obliged to continue to humor irrational paranoid overgrown children's power fetishes when smart public policies behooves that we move in a different direction.
" and not feeling obliged to continue to humor irrational paranoid overgrown children's power fetishes when smart public policies behooves that we move in a different direction"
Your illusions of grander are only exceded by your ignorance of life.

Read and LEARN, if capable.

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/the-armed-citizen/

Old Today, 05:35 AM

14,386 posts, read 11,727,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Old people with failing eye sight and shaky hands should not be expected to be armed.

Children should not be expected to be armed.

Many people have religious convictions against arming themselves.

What about the vast number of people convicted of marijuana possession 20, 30 years ago who now are convicted felons and thus cannot own a gun legally even though they are not a threat to anyone.

It is silly to think that people can all be expected to be the masters of their own fate when it comes to violent crime by arming themselves. There is a reason we have a police force - so people can rely on them rather than arming themselves.

Yet the police are constantly under fire from leftist groups as being rife with racism and corruption. And for the most part in violent situations the police only need show up with body bags and call the ME. Very rarely are they around to protect anyone. The recent El Paso and Dayton shootings saw almost instant police response, which I find...odd...because the police generally have a much longer response time. There were a lot of cops in very close proximity when these shootings went down. Almost like they knew something was going to go down.

But that's another story ain't it. I was involved in a defensive shooting some years ago and the police took close to 20 minutes before the first cop showed up. 20 minutes. To respond to a shots fired call. And do you really think we can rely on the cops? I agree that not all people can be expected to be "masters of their own fate" via being armed I do believe that most people are better off for being armed should they be confronted with a violent situation.

If an armed criminal is in close proximity to you would you feel better having a 45 or a cell phone? Personally I want both. The cops will get there eventually. Somebody has to clean up the mess.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

3,797 posts, read 3,115,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who told you, that you do not ever need to be armed?
Why shouldn't you yourself, own a firearm? Is there something about you, that you are too dangerous to possess a firearm?

Who owns you? Do you have a Master, that told you to never be armed?

Warren v District of Columbia

It is to be expected from an uneducated society, since most Americans are victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry, and are loathe to read their own laws and history.
Sit down, Shut up, Pay & Obey
I have no interest in bearing arms; so, I don't.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

48,664 posts, read 45,766,997 times
I'm very staunch in advocating for people being able to own guns. I do question the adage of "an armed society is a polite society".

Old Today, 01:47 PM

48,664 posts, read 45,766,997 times
Quote:
The state absolutely sucks at protecting rights, but armed Americans have also been the cause of some of the worst injustices in American history. Massacring Native Americans, killing runaway slaves, etc. Also a single individual has zero power in our system, armed or otherwise. If you think owning a gun gives you some sort of power then you are delusional.
And on the flip side, there is something else that needs to be mentioned. Many laws that disarmed people were meant to disarm specific people. Some of the first gun prohibition laws were aimed at Black slaves.

Gun politics and race politics has been intertwined in many cases. For some people, one side of it was "We want guns because we need to deal with those people". The other side of it was "We want to ban guns because we fear 'those people' having guns".

There was actually a blogger, "Stuff Black People Don't Like" on Unz. Paul Kersey writes it. Paul Kersey, a virulent racist, advocates for disarming Black people. And here is where he advocates it: https://www.unz.com/sbpdl/guns-black...why-disarming/

Certain people have not been guarateed their rights. According to the Constitution, U.S. citizens have the right to own a gun and defend themselves. Sadly, some people have not felt that way, and race has played a role.

Old Today, 01:51 PM

29,993 posts, read 15,644,795 times
Quote:
Lol. The US government was directly responsible for devastating the American Indian.

US laws, aka the government, allowed slavery and enforcement punishment against those helping slaves escape.

Practically every major injustice has been perpetrated by government.

Yeah, just keep pretending government is always looking out for the individual.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

29,993 posts, read 15,644,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm very staunch in advocating for people being able to own guns. I do question the adage of "an armed society is a polite society".
What percentage of people in the US with guns uses them unlawfully against others?

If 1% of people with mortgages defaulted on those mortgages, would you say too many people are given mortgages?

Old Today, 02:09 PM

2,197 posts, read 666,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And on the flip side, there is something else that needs to be mentioned. Many laws that disarmed people were meant to disarm specific people. Some of the first gun prohibition laws were aimed at Black slaves.

Gun politics and race politics has been intertwined in many cases. For some people, one side of it was "We want guns because we need to deal with those people". The other side of it was "We want to ban guns because we fear 'those people' having guns".

There was actually a blogger, "Stuff Black People Don't Like" on Unz. Paul Kersey writes it. Paul Kersey, a virulent racist, advocates for disarming Black people. And here is where he advocates it: https://www.unz.com/sbpdl/guns-black...why-disarming/

Certain people have not been guarateed their rights. According to the Constitution, U.S. citizens have the right to own a gun and defend themselves. Sadly, some people have not felt that way, and race has played a role.
I believe you are correct in this regard. Its to be noted that the NRA underwent a political drift to the far right in the period after the civil rights movement. Its no coincidence that the largest surge in gun purchases happened after the election of Americas's first black president. There is a deep rooted fear of the "other" taking over and those that hold these beliefs think it can be avoid if they remain heavily armed. Guns and race go hand in hand in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or