U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 03:56 PM

1,403 posts, read 491,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
They are not subsidized...

We dont pay VAT on Electric cars.
Or taxes based on pollution.

Technically not a subsidy.

So, because electric cars are low volume, and high price, instead of making them even more expensive by adding our Fossile fuel taxes on to it, we removed those. So, now electric cars are almost the same price as regular cars.. We know gasoline and diesel cars pollute, destroys health of people in cities, and wastes oil.. so our government wanted to help those that actually made electric cars.

Now if more companies went 100% in producing Electric cars, the cost of them would be even lower then Gasoline cars. But, they wont do that.. because that makes it easier for smaller manufacturers or countries to start up car companies.
Making a electric car is quite easy.. making a complicated Petrol engine with automatic transmissions, blah blah blah is not.
High barriers for entry... good for business.
I would still like to know what impact Norway going to all electric vehichles would have on overall global warming. Global warming is why they are doing it, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If we were 95% Nordic, we would have a higher QOL. I am part Norwegian ancestry and all of my family that came from the Nordic strain are doing fantastic in the US.
My father was born in Sweden, all my immediate family is Scandinavian of varied flavors. I do not think ancestry is the golden ticket to be honest. I have relatives that are a hot mess.

Social trust goes much further than simple ancestry. That is one of the reasons the Scandinavian model mostly works as well as it does for QOL.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And when fossil fuels are done away with, how will you replace the tax revenue lost that pays for all that “free” stuff?

Increase taxation on electric cars... of course.

VAT adds 25% to the cost of the car.
Then there are always some others taxes they can add.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM

2,618 posts, read 892,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Norway is one of the last countries that should be doing this, especially via dictat from the central government.

Because centrist bans by a few "deciders" over the entire populace is too authoritarian?
Norway is a parliamentary democracy. If the democratically elected representatives of the people vote for a fossil fuel ban, that is not ruling by "dictat".

Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Norway is a parliamentary democracy. If the democratically elected representatives of the people vote for a fossil fuel ban, that is not ruling by "dictat".
Sure it is. We have idiot congress critters and senators that do not represent the will of the American people overall. I said central government.

Remember D. Feinstien and her "Turn them all in, America"? AOC and her "We are the bosses now!" nonsense. That rhetoric reflects how they view the general public (and not just their idiot contituents).

Dont fool yourself, our democracy (and I imagine Norway's, considering their immigration stance as of late) is the rulers over the people, voted in or not. They have way too much power.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:10 PM

15,836 posts, read 13,729,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
They are not subsidized...

We dont pay VAT on Electric cars.
Or taxes based on pollution.

Technically not a subsidy.

So, because electric cars are low volume, and high price, instead of making them even more expensive by adding our Fossile fuel taxes on to it, we removed those. So, now electric cars are almost the same price as regular cars.. We know gasoline and diesel cars pollute, destroys health of people in cities, and wastes oil.. so our government wanted to help those that actually made electric cars.

Now if more companies went 100% in producing Electric cars, the cost of them would be even lower then Gasoline cars. But, they wont do that.. because that makes it easier for smaller manufacturers or countries to start up car companies.
Making a electric car is quite easy.. making a complicated Petrol engine with automatic transmissions, blah blah blah is not.
High barriers for entry... good for business.

Yes, it is a subsidy. Spin it all you want, the gov is subsidizing the EV via lower the tax burden on it compared to non-EVs.

Remove this subsidy and everything else, see how the market responds...

Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 PM

5,418 posts, read 3,112,148 times
If Norway is so wonderful, why are you still here?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 PM

487 posts, read 101,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post

Social trust goes much further than simple ancestry. That is one of the reasons the Scandinavian model mostly works as well as it does for QOL.
I would agree with that. Look at how different the Chinese are from the Japanese in terms of social trust.

Question...how do the Norwegians heat their homes?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:56 PM

1,182 posts, read 223,014 times
Depends..

In our new house, built in 2018, we have electric heating cables in all floors. Cast into the concrete slab, with oak floor on top.
However we have 10" wall full of insulation and 15" insulation in the roof and 30" in the floor under the concrete slab. Triple glassed windows. Single story house.

So, we just need a small amount of heat in the floors to keep everything snug. I usually walk around in shorts and no socks all year long. And we have large Soapstone fireplace in the living room.. mostly just for the cozy atmosphere in winter.

And all new houses has to have ventilation system with heat pumps in them. Warming up new air coming into house.

Other popular choices are
Air to Air heat pump.
Water to water heat pump.
Air to water heat pump
Electric mats under floor.

So.. most houses use Electricity to heat the houses. And nearly all houses have a fireplace as a back up. Heating oil is not allowed any more. Then Air to Air heating pump is the most popular because its cheap and high efficiency.
Water to Water heat pumps are most desired though... but we would never recuperate the costs in our house.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:58 PM

36,135 posts, read 10,742,068 times
Ban, ban, ban. Coming again from the left. Because that's where it always comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or