U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 PM

15,601 posts, read 17,880,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Memo to self: Don't move to Norway, they wouldn't like my cars.
Norway has a huge classic car and motorcycle scene. The restoration and showing of old porshes, VWs, military vehicles, and especially classic American cars are a very popular pastime there. There are frequent classic car shows and the main drag of the capital, Oslo, is lined with people showing off their immaculately restored 20th century classics.

Many young Norwegians even know how to work on cars, and unlike their American counterparts, they know how to drive manual transmissions. Shocking, I know. Buying an old beater and making it run is often the only way a young Norwegian can afford a car. (If you want to complain about Norway's car culture, the tax on new car sales is insane, one of the reasons electric cars are selling well there is that they are exempt from the tax)

At any rate, unless I am mistaken, the ban is on new car sales, not preexisting cars, so all your old gas guzzlers would be fine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 PM

9,031 posts, read 2,568,109 times
So will Norway also stop drilling for and then selling Crude oil? If not it does seem a bit hypocritical. Like a drug dealer saying he is a good guy because he doesn't use any of the drugs he sells. LOL

Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,413 posts, read 14,155,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Well... Electric Ferries are a thing here in Norway!

They are saving 80% of their operating costs and basically all new ferries that are ordered are electric. There ainīt anything magical about it. Batteries saves money.

When electric trucks hit the market and operators realize the savings potential, which there is, all new trucks ordered will be Electric.
batteries destroy the environment

Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,413 posts, read 14,155,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Norway has a huge classic car and motorcycle scene. The restoration and showing of old porshes, VWs, military vehicles, and especially classic American cars are a very popular pastime there. There are frequent classic car shows and the main drag of the capital, Oslo, is lined with people showing off their immaculately restored 20th century classics.

Many young Norwegians even know how to work on cars, and unlike their American counterparts, they know how to drive manual transmissions. Shocking, I know. Buying an old beater and making it run is often the only way a young Norwegian can afford a car. (If you want to complain about Norway's car culture, the tax on new car sales is insane, one of the reasons electric cars are selling well there is that they are exempt from the tax)

At any rate, unless I am mistaken, the ban is on new car sales, not preexisting cars, so all your old gas guzzlers would be fine.
and here the electric and hybrid cars are getting a NEW TAX on them.....because people who own them are getting out of paying the gas (both federal and state tax)

here its your damned if you do and damned if you dont....big daddy government WILL get its money from all, especiallythe poor and middleclass

Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM

14,327 posts, read 6,189,387 times
Quote:
Norway was one of the richest countries in the world, pr capita before we found oil.
Scandinavia in general has been at the top for the last 2 centuries.

We also had and have a lot of cutting edge tech companies.

10 min from where I grew up, the worlds first industrial robot was developed in in 1964. In the 1980s the same company from my small municipal controlled 50% of the worlds automated surface treating robotic arms. (Think painting, welding and moving arms). Most of ABBs robotics is derived from that small company.

Its true big Oil sucked most of the capital and we kind of divested in Onshore production for Offshore production.

We are also the second largest fish and seafood exporter in the world.

Its not like we dont have a way out of Big oil when the time comes.

We just invest in our people, education and healthcare... we work together and not on our own, and get better outcomes.

Your entire country has less people than the county I live in (Harris County, Texas). Good for you though. My sister hosted an exchange student from Norway, and there were several that year in her town from Norway. Lovely people.

Edit: I just looked it up and actually Norway has about half a million more people than my county, so I was wrong.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Depends..

In our new house, built in 2018, we have electric heating cables in all floors. Cast into the concrete slab, with oak floor on top.
However we have 10" wall full of insulation and 15" insulation in the roof and 30" in the floor under the concrete slab. Triple glassed windows. Single story house.

So, we just need a small amount of heat in the floors to keep everything snug. I usually walk around in shorts and no socks all year long. And we have large Soapstone fireplace in the living room.. mostly just for the cozy atmosphere in winter.

And all new houses has to have ventilation system with heat pumps in them. Warming up new air coming into house.

Other popular choices are
Air to Air heat pump.
Water to water heat pump.
Air to water heat pump
Electric mats under floor.

So.. most houses use Electricity to heat the houses. And nearly all houses have a fireplace as a back up. Heating oil is not allowed any more. Then Air to Air heating pump is the most popular because its cheap and high efficiency.
Water to Water heat pumps are most desired though... but we would never recuperate the costs in our house.

You just reminded me that the girl my sister hosted only brought summer clothes thinking Texas was going to be hot, but that year the Dallas/Fort Worth area had a very cold winter (and they usually get a lot colder than Houston). She was so cold and we were thinking she must be used to the cold, but she said the houses are insulated better in Norway. She could not warm up all winter. I know my sisterís house had really high ceilings, which just makes everything colder. Itís great in the summer, but really sucks in the winter.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Given that the trucking industry is (mostly) run from spreadsheets instead of from emotional purchases, I'll expect a wholesale change to EV trucks the minute it makes financial sense. I suppose that the jury is still out on the long-term cost of maintenance.

They do last some time so it'll take a while to see an entire fleet change.

Is there any plan for Norwegian owners of collector cars?
Whatís going to happen to all those batteries? I suspect we will run out of the rare earths before we run out of oil. And then there is the disposal issue.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 PM

21,784 posts, read 14,493,126 times
Times, they are a changin'.

0-60 in 3 seconds. All wheel drive. 400 mile range on a single charge. Able to drive through three feet of water.
Hitting the market next year. (Where there once was an engine is now trunk space.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc64gMpReOU

Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 PM

21,806 posts, read 11,740,525 times
Norway take half a million fossil fuel cars off the road at great expense and inconvenience but the Chinese will add 3 million more fossil fuel burning cars at the same time. Congrats on the big win liberals.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:36 AM

30,965 posts, read 31,908,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Norway take half a million fossil fuel cars off the road at great expense and inconvenience but the Chinese will add 3 million more fossil fuel burning cars at the same time. Congrats on the big win liberals.
I don't think you are correct...As of December 2018, China had the largest stock of highway legal light-duty plug-ins with over 2 million domestically built passenger cars. China also dominates in plug-in electric bus deployment, with its stock reaching 343,500 units in 2016 out of global stock of about 345,000 vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...use_by_country

Doing it right......In Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...on_cropped.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or