U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 04:36 AM

1,174 posts, read 220,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What’s going to happen to all those batteries? I suspect we will run out of the rare earths before we run out of oil. And then there is the disposal issue.

They are reusable..

There is constant research into new batteries, and figuring out how to use less and less "rare" materials..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:44 AM

12,060 posts, read 4,114,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Norway take half a million fossil fuel cars off the road at great expense and inconvenience but the Chinese will add 3 million more fossil fuel burning cars at the same time. Congrats on the big win liberals.
Other countries and cities are banning fossil fuel cars, Norway is just doing it more quickly. In the US both Los Angeles and Seattle committed to phasing out fossil fuel vehicles by 2030.

Other countries have timeframes of 2030, 2032 and 2040, and more countries are set to announce bans.

Phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles - Wikipedia

Old 08-10-2019, 04:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 12,125,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Given that the trucking industry is (mostly) run from spreadsheets instead of from emotional purchases, I'll expect a wholesale change to EV trucks the minute it makes financial sense. I suppose that the jury is still out on the long-term cost of maintenance.

They do last some time so it'll take a while to see an entire fleet change.

Is there any plan for Norwegian owners of collector cars?
Their screwed.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 AM

21,812 posts, read 19,468,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Norway take half a million fossil fuel cars off the road at great expense and inconvenience but the Chinese will add 3 million more fossil fuel burning cars at the same time. Congrats on the big win liberals.
Apart from the fact that China is a huge e-car market, your all-or-nothing approach leads nowhere. Every single car that doesn't pollute the environment is a blessing. And Norway is sending a message that could prompt other, bigger countries to go the same way.

Ultimately humans should considerably reduce their driving all together, though, because the making of e-cars also requires a lot of energy and other resources, basically as many as a conventional car, plus the problematic Lithium.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:07 AM

30,066 posts, read 16,607,954 times
I find the arrogance of those who believe they know what the planet needs or doesn't need as it relates to the global climate, both amusing and frightful at the same time.
Enjoy your mandated toy cars Norway

Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,858,977 times
Cool... I’m excited about the new C8 Corvette so more for us!!!!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 AM

363 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What’s going to happen to all those batteries? I suspect we will run out of the rare earths before we run out of oil. And then there is the disposal issue.
Oh, they'll probably end up in a big leaky pile in Asia with barefoot little kids picking out the valuable parts. You certainly wouldn't want the 'recycling' going on in coastal California.

I do like the idea of EVs as a user though. No smog checks, brakes last mostly forever, no gas stations. Modern gas engines seem to be hitting Peak Complexity and it would be nice to avoid that.

Trucks are the most interesting case to me since the purchasing is practically all made on economics.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:00 AM

363 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Apart from the fact that China is a huge e-car market, your all-or-nothing approach leads nowhere. Every single car that doesn't pollute the environment is a blessing. And Norway is sending a message that could prompt other, bigger countries to go the same way.
Guess how the Chinese make most of their energy. Hint: It starts with the letter 'coal'.

From Scientific American a couple of years ago:

"The same argument applies worldwide. Driving an electric car in China, where coal is by far the largest power plant fuel, is a catastrophe for climate change. And if the coal plant lacks pollution controls—or fails to turn them on—it can amplify the extent of smog, acid rain, lung-damaging microscopic soot and other ills that arise from burning fossil fuels. The same is true in other major coal-burning countries, such as Australia, India and South Africa."

Old 08-10-2019, 09:12 AM

9,031 posts, read 2,568,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Times, they are a changin'.

0-60 in 3 seconds. All wheel drive. 400 mile range on a single charge. Able to drive through three feet of water.
Hitting the market next year. (Where there once was an engine is now trunk space.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc64gMpReOU
LOL my truck but mine is diesel.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 AM

3,797 posts, read 3,117,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a7065616.html

Norway is increasingly seen as the envy of the world. It is FIRST place in the world happiness index. It is #5 in median income (U.S. is behind at #8). It has a debt-to-GDP ratio of -90.5 percent. In other words it has a national surplus, not a national debt.

Norway has obviously made a lot of good decisions. Now they are making another good decision by banning the sale of fossil-fuel-powered vehicles by 2025. Not the 2030 plan of Gov. Jay Inslee, which was seen as way too ambitious and radical but 2025.

Can someone please explain to me why we are not following Norway's lead????
It's ironic, don't you think? They are pushing clean living for their own, but they thrive on the oil they sell to the rest of the dirty living world which allows them to do this.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the decision of the Norwegians. It's just one of the little things in life that I find funny.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or