U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:08 PM

8,966 posts, read 3,986,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LOL. Man some want to believe the lies so bad. Itís has been proven that yes the consumer pays for tariffs.

Costco Prices: Trump Tariffs on China Raises Consumer Prices | Money

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...514-story.html
At least some prices can be or are reduced so that the consumer pays no more with the tariff. Cuts by importers here, exporters there. Or central subsidies there supporting their exporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:16 PM
TKO

3,201 posts, read 3,160,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
At least some prices can be or are reduced so that the consumer pays no more with the tariff. Cuts by importers here, exporters there. Or central subsidies there supporting their exporters.
Those figurative cuts could be responsible for even cheaper prices if there wasn't a tariff. The tariffs are being paid and even in communist China the seller doesn't pay them for you out of the goodness of their heart. Not long term anyhow. We get hurt on the export front by the weaker Yuan.

I don't mind too much. One of the few things Trump has done that I approve of is to come down on China. Yet to see if he can wrangle anything good for us out of it. I honestly hope so.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 PM

15,931 posts, read 4,207,709 times
Quote:
If the importer, distributor or manufacturer (many products are made here with materials or sub-assemblies) eats some of the cost, that is STILL a cost to the US consumer and economy.

Firstly, said importer IS an American and a Consumer...as are all the people who work for them (sometimes many 100's of thousands people). So they all lose potential profits. When the employees ask for a raise or more benefits the employer cannot afford them because they "ate" some of the tariffs.

The top people at said companies will make less...as will the corporations and they will therefore pay less in income, corporate and other taxes. That money will end up as more deficit and debt to be paid by US...and our children and their children and so-on.

Any way you look at it, WE pay the costs.

Typical Trump "deal" is "lose-lose". He never even won himself...which is the ultimate in Karma. He'd have 10 to 50X the wealth if he invested his free inheritance and just played Golf.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Those figurative cuts could be responsible for even cheaper prices if there wasn't a tariff. The tariffs are being paid and even in communist China the seller doesn't pay them for you out of the goodness of their heart. Not long term anyhow. We get hurt on the export front by the weaker Yuan.

I don't mind too much. One of the few things Trump has done that I approve of is to come down on China. Yet to see if he can wrangle anything good for us out of it. I honestly hope so.
Look back on the solar panel story.

China's central command can do a whole lot if it so desires.

Nothing made solar so cheap here in the USA than central solar subsidies in China.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:35 PM
TKO

3,201 posts, read 3,160,459 times
Quote:
Look back on the solar panel story.

China's central command can do a whole lot if it so desires.

Nothing made solar so cheap here in the USA than central solar subsidies in China.
A short term effort in order drive competition out and dominate the market, wasn't it?

Old 08-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
A short term effort in order drive competition out and dominate the market, wasn't it?
Sure, that's bidness.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Status: "You showed me mercy and all I can do is say Thank You." (set 17 days ago)

1,479 posts, read 291,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Economy continues to be weak?

I know right?

I'm not sure which reality some of these posters are living in. The economy has been pretty darn good for most of us middle-class blue collars.

Could it be that it sucks for cave-dwelling basement slugs?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:00 PM

17 posts, read 3,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The top people at said companies will make less...as will the corporations and they will therefore pay less in income, corporate and other taxes. That money will end up as more deficit and debt to be paid by US...and our children and their children and so-on.

Any way you look at it, WE pay the costs.

craigiri
In the almost 40 years for working in large US and multinational companies I can say with all honesty I never saw a single top people at said companies make less, not one. The boards were made up of like minded people and when things got bad the CEO/CFO laid off people, cut training budgets and cut back long term investment to make quarter points or cover their fubar decisions. Hitting qtrly earnings and cash flow was everything.

Even when some claimed "we will take less pay this year" in a faux show of solidarity, what they did not tell the rank and file was that their compensation was being deferred and there were sweetheart stock options waiting. Even when we nailed someone for theft, gross abuse of position or improper behavior with a subordinate they still walked with a nice parachute. The top get taken care of. Middle management and hourly get made an example so they can say look how we take action. We walk the talk. All bull****. I saw the payments flowing though the books. Maybe in a small company there are consequences but not in the fortune 500 as they do not want the bad PR. Admitting there is a bad apple at the top is not good for investor relations and confidence. It means someones hiring judgement was not good & the top can't have that idea in anyone's head.

I saw it happen in every company I worked with. 90 percent of CEO's and their direct staffs are dishonest at their core or become so. I don't know what happens to otherwise good people. If they came from middle class or poor circumstance they wanted to distance themselves from it. Some HQ staff had no idea where our plants were even located and in some cases the products we made in them.

Again this was my personal experience of flying to the plants and having one of them joke . We always have to take Kentucky62 on the corp jet, he is the only one who knows where the plants are and drives the mini van. It would have been funny if were not true. The entire flight down I got to listen to them one up each other with their vacations , car collections and life styles. Making fun of how people dressed in the office compared to their expensive suits or the schools they went to.

The most insufferable ones trying to prove what experts they were on wines and cheeses. All the while one of the other worker drones from HR and I giving each other knowing smirks. I'd get tired and go up to the pilots jump seat to talk with the crew.

No tears for HQ staff folks , they are doing just fine.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:17 PM

166 posts, read 35,207 times
China not buying anymore American corn, soybeans, wheat, and who knows what else (other countries will benefit though)...please tell the farmers tariffs not affecting them adversely.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 PM

22,725 posts, read 11,714,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I know right?

I'm not sure which reality some of these posters are living in. The economy has been pretty darn good for most of us middle-class blue collars.

Could it be that it sucks for cave-dwelling basement slugs?
Actually it ain’t been that great for us depending on our 401k to appreciate.

How big a deficit and how low must interest rates go to keep this ‘great ‘ economy going?

The US stockholder is paying a lot for these tariffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies