Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 AM

34,719 posts, read 16,746,807 times

Advertisements

I consider Medicare for All to be extreme left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,259,910 times
What do you consider extreme left and extreme right positions?

It seems everybody is either extreme left or extreme right nowadays.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,560,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I consider Medicare for All to be extreme left.
It's no more extreme left than Medicare now, which most people think is a good thing. The Advantage part of Medicare allows subsidized private health insurance companies to participate. That might as well come with Medicare For All, too. Not doing more to provide better access to health care for all is stupid.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,571,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The following is what I think. What do YOU think?

EXTREME LIBERAL

- Welfare benefits for able-bodied and mentally-capable adults who refuse to work (includes UBI)
- Any kind of benefits to people here illegally, except for children under age 16 and emergency medical care
- Free college education for everyone who wants one (regardless of G.P.A. or SAT scores)

EXTREME CONSERVATIVE

- No gun controls whatsoever
- No abortions regardless of the reason

As to extreme left and extreme right ideologies it's pretty simple to me.

Extreme left. Force their way of thinking down everybodys throat. Everything they believe is right. People must be made to conform by any and all means. Their gods are Mao and Stalin. They firmly believe in the tactics these two used.

Extreme right. Worships Hitler. Ideology requires conformity just like the left But they wish to fool people into actually believing what they want is for public good, people will willingly give up their rights, then turn the SS and Gestapo loose when people are helpless and actually willing to roll on their family friends and neighbors. This won't work today but this is what Hitler did.

Both sides believe in conformity through the barrel of a gun. Both sides want people to turn on each other to support them. Both sides suck canal water and can kiss my a$$!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, what the 2nd protects is the right to carry however you want. “Shall not be infringed†means exactly that.

That doesn’t change either the existence or the meaning of the 2nd Amendment, though. Whether you like it or hate it, there is no way to pass a constitutional gun law. The Congress and Courts have been allowed to place restrictions on the 2nd. That doesn’t mean they ever had the power to.

Gun control is a bandaid on a bullet wound, if you’ll forgive the pun. It won’t fix anything, it will just slow the bleeding. Unless you can completely ban firearms, you won’t stop “gun violenceâ€. The 2nd prevents that from happening, so the only way to do it is to repeal the 2nd through the constitutional process. I keep hearing how powerful the Progressives are and how many people are behind them, so it shouldn’t be difficult to do. They should take a whack at the pesky Electoral College too, while they’re at it.
Read the first part of the 2nd Amendment. it says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," That part allows taking away guns from people when necessary to maintain the security of a free state. For instance, you wouldn't want anybody in a militia to be allowed to keep his gun should he utter, "I'm sick and tired of you idiots. I'm going to shoot you all." So the 2nd Amendment does allow for infringement for the security of a free state.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't understand people who want NO gun controls whatsoever.

If there are NO controls. anyone (even "highly suspect" terrorists) could buy any kind of weapon whatsoever with no waiting period, and any person angry at his/her spouse could just walk into the nearest sporting goods store and buy a gun and ammo, and ditto for any teenager angry at a teacher. I just don't understand that kind of thinking.

I do believe in a person's right to own a gun (or even more than one gun), but I simply don't think it is right to have absolutely no controls whatsoever.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, although I did not expect this to turn into another Second Amendment debate!!
Too many gun supporters don't take the first part of the 2nd Amendment seriously which says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." Do you want a member in the militia who is clueless about how to handle and clean a gun? Yet, many 2nd Amendment supporters are against training as a requirement to have a gun.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't understand people who want NO gun controls whatsoever.

If there are NO controls. anyone (even "highly suspect" terrorists) could buy any kind of weapon whatsoever with no waiting period, and any person angry at his/her spouse could just walk into the nearest sporting goods store and buy a gun and ammo, and ditto for any teenager angry at a teacher. I just don't understand that kind of thinking.

I do believe in a person's right to own a gun (or even more than one gun), but I simply don't think it is right to have absolutely no controls whatsoever.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, although I did not expect this to turn into another Second Amendment debate!!
At least it hasn't turned to gays and God! Let's keep it that way.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 AM

34,719 posts, read 16,746,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's no more extreme left than Medicare now, which most people think is a good thing. The Advantage part of Medicare allows subsidized private health insurance companies to participate. That might as well come with Medicare For All, too. Not doing more to provide better access to health care for all is stupid.
That was my argument and problem with the Affordable Care Act a/k/a ObummerCare. And by the way I am a left-winger.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,400,930 times
Both recognize USA is in decline. Left blames super rich, Right blames immigrants and Blacks

Old 08-13-2019, 11:49 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,820,986 times
Extreme left > policing free speech
Extreme right > policing different type of free speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies