U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 AM

4,595 posts, read 943,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because it will open a Pandora's box that the left wants to keep closed.

If you include mental illness in background checks, people will start demanding that the mentally ill be institutionalized the way they used to be.

After all.....

Why is someone who has been deemed to dangerous to own a firearm allowed to walk around free in public?

Same goes for criminals, convicted violent felons.......
So you think any gun owner is automatically a conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:43 AM

7,531 posts, read 8,781,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Let's face it, Democrats will never vote for Trump even if he cures their mother's of cancer.
Nice assumption, but incorrect. I personally know of 4 registered Dems who voted for Trump (2 who would never support any woman being president and don't think female professionals like doctors or dentists are as good as men ). I'm a Moderate Independent and Trump will never get my vote, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't support a different GOPer.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM

35,778 posts, read 32,520,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I have to ask, what is a "reasonable background check"?
The imaginary one they want to use for people trading weapons in their garage. The fairy dust unicorn one we will never get a photo of.

Good for blaming POTUS though.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Thanks, interesting info. Itís nice to see some actual data instead of opinions. Regardless of funding level, they appear to have enough influence to still be recognized as the source of obstruction of government gun control efforts. It also still looks like revenues are at a high and contributions are at an all time high, up through 2017, which does miss the most recent interesting time period.

Do you know whether this data includes the NRA-ILA? I believe their finances are completely separate so as to avoid legal problems. For example, when I make a contribution to support legal efforts, I have to make the check out specifically to NRA-ILA, likewise politically oriented contributions go to the NRA-PVF, otherwise it goes to the NRA general fund (training, range development, competition sponsorship, etc.).
I can only go by the 2015 Form 990 filed with the IRS, and from it, it shows that the Executive Director of the NRA-ILA, Chris Cox at the time, as well as James Baker, as a director, was paid directly by the NRA. That would certainly indicate the chart I showed is all inclusive, and represents the entirety of the NRA activity.

Source:
https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...30_990O_201512

Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM

1,935 posts, read 624,304 times
^^^^

Again, interesting. So it appears that the salaries all come out of the general operating fund but the funds for the activities themselves that would cross into politics, lobbying, etc. must be what are kept separate I assume? I know there are strict laws about non-profits lobbying etc. and I’ve wondered how these different entities are structured.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
^^^^

Again, interesting. So it appears that the salaries all come out of the general operating fund but the funds for the activities themselves that would cross into politics, lobbying, etc. must be what are kept separate I assume? I know there are strict laws about non-profits lobbying etc. and Iíve wondered how these different entities are structured.
The NRA is a 501c(4) organization, and none of the donations received are tax deductible. The NRA-ILA is an operating branch of the NRA, and not a separate legal entity.

From the NRA tax return I listed earlier:
"Legislative programs. The NRA Institute for Legislative Action was created in 1975 to advocate on behalf of safe and responsible gun owners. As the foremost protector and defender of the Second Amendment, the NRA promotes firearms safety, advocates against efforts to erode gun rights and freedoms, fights for initiatives aimed at reducing violent crime, and promotes hunters rights and conservation efforts. NRA members recognize the vital importance of NRAILAs true grassroots work to preserve the Second Amendment for future generations of shooters and outdoor sportsmen and sportswomen. This legion of engaged and motivated members is the reason for the NRAs strength. NRAILA legislative issues involve firearms and ammunition regulation, recreational shooting on public lands, gun registries, range preservation, veterans protection, international gun control threats, open and conceal carry laws, wildlife conservation, free speech, and a host of related matters. Please visit NRAILA.org for the most current research and information."
In other words, the NRA-ILA is a program within the NRA. I suspect the reason they want separate donations to it is that way those donations do not end up in general revenue, and used at the discretion of the organization, but instead is targeted.

The organization I was president of did exactly the same thing. It is a common practice of non-profits.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM

1,935 posts, read 624,304 times
Good info. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM

9,582 posts, read 9,370,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
2nd amendment is NOT up for debate.
Really? If you paid attention to the news, you'd find that it's very much up for debate. And Trump is trying to tamper with the First Amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Except this individual had no criminal history in TX and a background check would have done nothing.
I don't understand why people keep saying that. No one imagines that restricting guns will stop all bad guys. Laws and restrictions don't stop all wrong-doing. The point is to start by cutting down the numbers. Why should we have such skyrocketing numbers in comparison with the rest of the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The NRA is swiftly becoming irrelevant.
Luckily, it sounds as if the NRA might also swiftly be becoming broke. That may change things.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM

11,057 posts, read 5,133,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Really? If you paid attention to the news, you'd find that it's very much up for debate. And Trump is trying to tamper with the First Amendment.

I'm not sure what you mean by Trump is tampering with the First Amendment.

I don't understand why people keep saying that. No one imagines that restricting guns will stop all bad guys. Laws and restrictions don't stop all wrong-doing. The point is to start by cutting down the numbers. Why should we have such skyrocketing numbers in comparison with the rest of the world?

How would you "cut down on the numbers"?

The Supreme Court ruled that it is unconstitutional to ban guns that are in common usage.

Luckily, it sounds as if the NRA might also swiftly be becoming broke. That may change things.

I'm not sure the NRA is going broke, but as I've pointed out many times, the power of the NRA comes from the massive voting block behind them. If you think it's only the the 4-5 million NRA members that oppose anti-gun legislation, you are sorely mistaken.

My comments are in red above.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,119,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Only the will of the people is being completely ignored:

https://www.people-press.org/2018/10...tisan-support/
I'm the NRA. And the GOA, and JPFO. Ponder that. There's no getting past those like myself. Now move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or