U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
 
Location: United States
10,965 posts, read 5,104,151 times
Reputation: 5247

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Is that Russian front organization still considered a power player? The mind boggles.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but to get back on topic.

The NRA was never all that powerful. The power comes from the massive voting block behind the NRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,461 posts, read 14,101,615 times
Reputation: 7165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's why Mitch doesn't want to bring it to a vote because he knows Republicans will either anger their voters or the NRA, which can act as their best friend or worst enemy.
He doesn't want the debate as usual, no debate and no vote means they aren't on record. I find great fault with Trump, he had the Sandy Hook and Parkland parents in the oval office last year and claimed he wasn't afraid of the NRA. I haven't heard a word out of him since when it comes to gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,461 posts, read 14,101,615 times
Reputation: 7165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but to get back on topic.

The NRA was never all that powerful. The power comes from the massive voting block behind the NRA.
Well around 80% want background checks but they don't line the pockets of the politicians, its all about campaign donations. This is not about a voting block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
 
9,514 posts, read 9,330,105 times
Reputation: 12029
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The will of the people is to not have our civil rights eroded, that is why congress respects the will of the people, and doesn't pass more anti-gun legislation.
Reportedly, 90% of Americans want stronger background checks for guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
 
Location: United States
10,965 posts, read 5,104,151 times
Reputation: 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well around 80% want background checks but they don't line the pockets of the politicians, its all about campaign donations. This is not about a voting block.

First, there are background checks. In fact., there is a background check required for all new firearm purchases.

Second, who's pockets are being lined by the NRA? The donations by the NRA to politicians are fairly small, especially compared to the large lobbying groups.

I know you anti-gun people will never admit it, but the power of the NRA is the massive voting block behind it.

Don't believe me, why didn't the democrats pass real anti-gun legislation while they controlled the House, the Senate, and White House back when Obama was elected?

Or are you saying the NRA bought off all the democrats also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Status: "Time for the boogaloo!" (set 1 day ago)
 
18 posts, read 3,000 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
So that's what it's come to. The organization that's becoming so hated, that consistently thwarts the will of the American people - they just lean on the president, the supposed leader of the free world. (I wonder if they ever called Obama.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cks/ar-AAFwO04

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/nra-c...checks-report/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ainst-him.html
2nd amendment is NOT up for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
 
9,283 posts, read 2,851,938 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The will of the people is to not have our civil rights eroded, that is why congress respects the will of the people, and doesn't pass more anti-gun legislation.
The majority want to have more not less gun regulations and Republicans no less. Congress needs to start listening to the people. Of course Trump, et al. are totally owned by the NRA.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ns-ban-1452586
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,461 posts, read 14,101,615 times
Reputation: 7165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
First, there are background checks. In fact., there is a background check required for all new firearm purchases.

Second, who's pockets are being lined by the NRA? The donations by the NRA to politicians are fairly small, especially compared to the large lobbying groups.

I know you anti-gun people will never admit it, but the power of the NRA is the massive voting block behind it.

Don't believe me, why didn't the democrats pass real anti-gun legislation while they controlled the House, the Senate, and White House back when Obama was elected?

Or are you saying the NRA bought off all the democrats also?
Well 80% of Americans want universal background checks how big is that NRA voting block. They aren't the largest lobby funding wise but it is most definitely an impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 335,918 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but to get back on topic.

The NRA was never all that powerful. The power comes from the massive voting block behind the NRA.
NRA tells them how to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,424 posts, read 12,233,808 times
Reputation: 8865
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The will of the people is to not have our civil rights eroded, that is why congress respects the will of the people, and doesn't pass more anti-gun legislation.
What percentage of the people are in agreement with no anti gun laws ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top