Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

The NRA is swiftly becoming irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And as a Trump supporter and actual voter I'm warning Trump to not bow down to the NRA. Trump said behind doors he support universal background checks. We will see what happens, but depending how Republicans handle this, if the Democratic candidate is Biden, I may switch sides. I would never support a far leftie, but I could do Biden in a pinch.
Trump has gotten on his knees before after saying he would stand up to the NRA right after Parkland. I wouldn't trust him at all with gun control measures at all.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
The only way Trump might stand up to the NRA is, if Ivanka got shot in the head, standing next to him, at a Trump rally ...with part of her face and skull blown away. But then he'd think about the $30 million the NRA gave to the Republican Presidential Campaign and say "I like daughters who don't get shot!" "By the way, where's Tiffany? ...let's get her up here on the stage!"

Old 08-09-2019, 12:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The NRA is swiftly becoming irrelevant.
Has been for awhile now

https://www.businessinsider.com/nra-...dislike-2018-3

Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It’s called lobbyists! Hello? hugeeee
That is not correct. There are many web sites that show the finances of the NRA and it is true, that the bulk of their money does not go to politicians or to lobbyists, it goes to influencing their own members. They have a captive membership and they can convince politicians that they will mobilize their massive membership to vote him/her out of office unless the politician votes the way the NRA wants him/her to vote. It is really bullying more than lobbying and it is very effective for the NRA. They see the stats that 80% of Americans want back ground checks and they just scoff at it saying we can convince them otherwise. The NRA thinks it is more powerful at swaying votes than news of kids getting slaughtered in the latest mass shooting.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

The NRA is trying to protect a NATURAL RIGHT, specifically upheld in the Constitution. Nothing more.
Maybe they should be doing more. 33,000 deaths annually, 70,000 nonfatal injuries from guns - you'd think it would want to do more.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Owning a gun is a Natural Right? I would consider the right to food, clothing, and shelter to a be a Natural Right. A gun? Maybe if the only way would be if you needed a gun to shoot animals to get your food in order to survive. Protect yourself? Well, other means can be used for that. That woman with the hot grease showed that. lol

Background checks? You do know that in order to work in public schools you need to have a background check and be fingerprinted. You can go on the Net, put in a person's name, and find out if said person has been fingerprinted and cleared by the FBI. I did a check on myself and found it.

If I ever wanted to buy a gun, my fingerprints are already on file.

Edit: A background check certainly would show criminal activity. However, mental issues would be far more difficult to show up in a background check, especially occurring in childhood.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well around 80% want background checks but they don't line the pockets of the politicians, its all about campaign donations. This is not about a voting block.
Same with how Pharma has killed thousands with this opiate crisis. Yet, they roam free.

We need a person to finally stand up to this. trump aint your man.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I think mass shootings are prime candidate for better background checks! Duh!
While not opposed to better background checks, what sort of background check would have prevented most sensational mass shootings?

Old 08-09-2019, 05:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That is not correct. There are many web sites that show the finances of the NRA and it is true, that the bulk of their money does not go to politicians or to lobbyists, it goes to influencing their own members. They have a captive membership and they can convince politicians that they will mobilize their massive membership to vote him/her out of office unless the politician votes the way the NRA wants him/her to vote. It is really bullying more than lobbying and it is very effective for the NRA. They see the stats that 80% of Americans want back ground checks and they just scoff at it saying we can convince them otherwise. The NRA thinks it is more powerful at swaying votes than news of kids getting slaughtered in the latest mass shooting.

Then there’s that matter of a mega mansion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies