Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:14 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Back in those days Republicans were referred to as The N word lovers. Its probably were the term came from. That was a long time ago. It looks like the left shoe is on the right foot and the right shoe is on the left foot today, yes?
That's right. It's called the party switch. Now it's getting to the point where things are devolving on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
are the hypocritical Democrats going to give Joe a pass for this very obvious racist statement?

racist statement. Do black people not know the KKK came from the Democrat party and thats the party that fought to keep slavery.
I don't know, but I am not.

Most Blacks know that the Democratic Party started the KKK. However, that was then. The main supporters of the KKK today aren't Democrats. After Barry Goldwater turned his back on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, this is when Black support for the GOP dropped off for good. Barry Goldwater won Deep South, and Arizona (Barry Goldwater barely won his home state. 50.45% of the vote, while Johnson won 49.45%). Alabama did not vote for Johnson at all. They voted for an unpledged elector than vote for Lyndon B. Johnson. Barry Goldwater did the strongest in Mississippi, the most anti-civil rights state of them all, besides Alabama.

And then the GOP had their Southern Strategy. Nixon made an attempt to appeal to southern Whites who were not happy with the gains Blacks were making in civil rights. Nixon didn't win the Deep South, but neither did the Democratic candidate Hubert H. Humphrey. George Wallace, the American Independent Party candidate won a few southern states. Nixon was abstract with his appeal to many white southerners in 1968. George Wallace was blunt with his support for segregation.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree652 View Post
Its kinda amazing the number of black Trump supporters Ive met in my hometown. And its mostly a white town.
There are not that many of them, but the blacks who are Trump supporters get so much attention. I think blacks only poll like 9% in favor of Trump, yet the small few that are supporters get so much attention. Whereas I believe Hispanics poll at like 25% for Trump, but their supporters don't get much attention even though Trump had much higher support from Hispanic voters.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
There are not that many of them, but the blacks who are Trump supporters get so much attention. I think blacks only poll like 9% in favor of Trump, yet the small few that are supporters get so much attention. Whereas I believe Hispanics poll at like 25% for Trump, but their supporters don't get much attention even though Trump had much higher support from Hispanic voters.

Why do you believe, apparently without question, the same pollsters who said for 2 straight years that Trump had no chance of even being nominated let along beating the pantsuit off Hillary Clinton?

Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. A higher percentage of Republicans than Democrats voted to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If anyone is to be distrusted, it's Dems.

Congressional votes for the CRA of 1964; look at the Ideology Vote Chart graphics at each of the following links:

House: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/88-1964/h182
Senate:https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/88-1964/s409
If you had been watching the video, you'd know that no southern Republican supported the Civil Rights Act and only 8% of southern Democrats supported the Civil Rights Act.

95% of Northern Democrats (189-9) supported the Civil Rights Act
84% of Northern Republican (164-28) supported the Civil Rights Act
8% of Southern Democrats (9-103) supported the Civil Rights Act
0% (ZERO) Southern Republicans (0-12) supported the Civil Rights Act.

There just happened to be more Republicans in the North. But the Republicans in the South didn't support it. And the vast majority of Northern Democrats supported the Civil Rights Act.

At the end of the day, Barry Goldwater didn't support the Civil Rights Act, and this cost him the Black vote. And then came Nixon, who tried (in a covert way) to pander to the racist elements in the South in 1968. He lost the Deep South, but not to the Democrats. He lost to George Wallace, an ardent segregationist who left the Democratic Party because his segregationist stance was being rejected by the Democratic Party in 1968.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:17 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
Absolutely! We all enjoy the library,yard sales as well for books. We have a bookshelf in our room and a bigger one down stairs for the kids...my son is a science and math person I got him an old manual on electric transfomers and he devoured the thing! He wants to be a nuclear engineer...
Awesome!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:22 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you had been watching the video, you'd know that no southern Republican supported the Civil Rights Act and only 8% of southern Democrats supported the Civil Rights Act.

95% of Northern Democrats (189-9) supported the Civil Rights Act
84% of Northern Republican (164-28) supported the Civil Rights Act
8% of Southern Democrats (9-103) supported the Civil Rights Act
0% (ZERO) Southern Republicans (0-12) supported the Civil Rights Act.

There just happened to be more Republicans in the North. But the Republicans in the South didn't support it. And the vast majority of Northern Democrats supported the Civil Rights Act.
So, WHAT'S with the southern Democrats who voted against the CRA? Were there really that many more Democrats in the south than the north? Or are you just looking for an excuse for the Dems' ongoing racism?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
So, WHAT'S with the southern Democrats who voted against the CRA? Were there really that many more Democrats in the south than the north? Or are you just looking for an excuse for the Dems' ongoing racism?

Joe Biden, BTW was with those Southern Democrats & Republicans. Here he is in his own words about the civil rights act. He was against it, as he was against ending school segregation, as he was against Affirmative action.
"I do not buy the concept, popular in the ’60s, which said, “We have suppressed the black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead in the race for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back, to even the race.

I don’t buy that,” “I don’t feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather.I feel responsible for what the situation is today, for the sins of my own generation. And I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.”

The always hypocritical left would attempt to crucify Trump if he had EVER said anything like this.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 AM

6,968 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Biden's the guy who told a black audience in 2012 that Romney wanted to put them back in chains.

You can tell Biden has a low opinion of black people because he made an assertion that was in no way plausible as though they would believe it.

He also said Obama was a fairy tale.....bright, clean and articulate.

If a Republican candidate said something like about Obama, the media and left would go crazy and call it racist.
The only blacks that Biden grew up with probably mowed his lawn. Delaware has less than a million residents and about 20% are black so he probably knew all of them.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Not so much more Democrats, but a higher percentage, relative to Republicans.
North: 198 Democrats, 192 Republicans
South: 112 Democrats, 12 Republicans

What's with the southern Democrats who voted against it? It's the South in the 1960s. While pretty much the entire USA was very racist during those times, the South was the worst. Both Republican and Democratic politicians were behind Jim Crow in the 1960s. Democrats might have started it after Reconstruction, but Republicans eventually joined them in the 20th century.

I notice you didn't ask what was going on with Republicans in the South. Better yet, I bring up that Barry Goldwater won the Deep South, and you ignore that. The North had more Democrats than the South. The North also had more Republicans than the South. The South had mostly Democrats.

I bring up the regional factor in this because there were more Democrats in the South relative to Repubicans. There were a higher percentage of Republican votes for the CRA over all because most of the Republicans were northerners. When it came to southern Republicans, NONE OF THEM voted for the Civil Rights Act. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies