U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:36 PM

18,423 posts, read 10,227,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Be very careful about blindly accepting, without question, the idea that "scaring" someone is illegal. Be very, very careful about that. Once you go down that slope, there's no coming back.
Talk to the Springfield police about that. Apparently they are going to try to charge him as a terrorist.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/armed-man...003703105.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:38 PM

21,655 posts, read 14,520,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It was a terrible thing to do right after the two mass shootings, but what serious thing can they charge him with that will stick? Did he do anything wrong other than scare people? Do we know what his intentions were? Did he intend to shoot people, or was he just trying to get in the news?
If he was trying to get in the news, then he was probably intending to kill people to do it. Only that bloodshed makes sure he will be on the news.

If it walks like a duck and acts like a duck, then it's a duck. The fireman was just using common sense.

And if the guy committed no crime, then he will be released after questioning. Considering his violent display- appearing as if to be ready to start shooting to everyone around him- will be questioned quite closely. And his background will be legitimately investigated as well.

If he intended to commit a crime, the cops will get that out of him because that's what they do.
He won't be held for intent casually. If he goes free, he knows he's being watched once he's on the loose again.

So if the incident was nothing but a brief spasm of anger, as the usual excuse is after a mass shooting, all that will be known, and the guy will be less far likely to try it again.

After all, if he can't show off, then what's the purpose to shoot up a big store? Every mass shooting as all about showing off and making themself noticed.

Old Today, 02:41 PM

7,405 posts, read 4,292,410 times
Quote:
Be very careful about blindly accepting, without question, the idea that "scaring" someone is illegal. Be very, very careful about that. Once you go down that slope, there's no coming back.
Already down that slope as yelling fire in a crowded theater is illegal.

Old Today, 02:50 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,265,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He will beat them in court.
That will depend a lot on what he said in the store to people.....

Old Today, 02:51 PM

124 posts, read 7,557 times
Quote:
Of course scaring someone is illegal, that's why threatening someone is illegal. That's why stalking is illegal. That's why brandishing is illegal. I could go on and on.

Old Today, 02:55 PM

40,242 posts, read 24,485,710 times
Quote:
You be careful.

I didn't say that "scaring" someone was illegal.

This person deliberately provoked fear in many people. He intended it. How do we know he intended it? He recklessly engaged in behavior that was meant to provoke a strong reaction. How do we know? He put on body armor, not just to add to the impact of him strolling around with loaded guns, but for his own protection. And he recorded his little trip on his cell phone. And told the police when he was arrested that he recorded it for his own protection. You don't do things for your own protection unless you know you are engaging in risky behavior.

The law is specific. Engage in behavior that causes a building to have to be evacuated, and you've broken the law.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,265,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The firefighter will probably get sued for illegal arrest. He might get charged with kidnapping.
I doubt that. In fact that kid should thank him... when the cops arrived a minute later and he did not have his hands up they might have opened up on him......The ex-fireman may have saved his life.

There is another side to this story. A policeman was enroute to the Walmart and a car pulled out in front of him at an intersection......bad wreck with both hospitalized, the cop not hurt as bad as the other driver, who is just in satisfactory condition. THAT may be the lawsuit.....

Old Today, 02:58 PM

3,739 posts, read 5,885,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Talk to the Springfield police about that. Apparently they are going to try to charge him as a terrorist.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/armed-man...003703105.html
....making a terrorist threat. I'm not trying to justify what he did....I think it was stupid and terrible....but if he gets a good lawyer, unless they can find some convincing evidence that he intended to shoot people, I don't think they will be able to make any serious charge stick, only some minor misdemeanor such as disturbing the peace.

Old Today, 03:22 PM

9,862 posts, read 4,675,798 times
Quote:
....making a terrorist threat. I'm not trying to justify what he did....I think it was stupid and terrible....but if he gets a good lawyer, unless they can find some convincing evidence that he intended to shoot people, I don't think they will be able to make any serious charge stick, only some minor misdemeanor such as disturbing the peace.
Pretty much. Everything he did with the guns and body armor were legal.

Old Today, 03:34 PM

40,242 posts, read 24,485,710 times
Quote:

A person makes a terrorist threat in Missouri if he or she recklessly disregards the risk of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation.

This young man caused the evacuation of a Neighborhood Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or