Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The people of Springfield need to suck it up and stop making a fuss over a young man exercising his Constitutional right to open carry.
I know, these pesky rights! Just like a few Congresspeople calling for laws to ban negative speech against them. Go, Democrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe many people would vote to acquit, but that is jury nullification. I would at least fine the so-called good guy. We can't have citizens doing "citizen's arrests" of people who are breaking no law. If I have a right to carry, anyone who challenges me with a weapon is infringing on my rights. If we don't like the laws that allow people to carry assault weapons everywhere we should quit passing them and repeal them.
You have a right to carry but not disturb the peace. As a gun owner and someone who carries, there are ways of doing it that disturbs the peace (arouse worry and anxiety) and ways that don't. It all comes down to common sense.

Sounds like to me this guy was doing a 2nd amendment "audit" where they push the bounds of these rights. He should be hit with disturbing the peace.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I see you walking into Wal-Mart with an obvious gun bulge is that reason enough to do the same? I'm not sure what logic dictates he is any more of a threat than you.
If you see a gun bulge on me, that means I'm not concealing my weapon (it counts as covered but not concealed) and in my state, Florida, that is a felony.

But in states with open carry, there are ways to do that and those ways depend on the norms in your area. But carrying a rifle, with 100s of rounds of ammunition all visible - no way in hell I'm going to wait for him to kill someone to see if he has harmless intentions or not.

He's already established to be a nut. Whether he is a mass murdering nut or a gun audit nut is not something I'm waiting for him to prove.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You have a right to carry but not disturb the peace. As a gun owner and someone who carries, there are ways of doing it that disturbs the peace (arouse worry and anxiety) and ways that don't. It all comes down to common sense.

Sounds like to me this guy was doing a 2nd amendment "audit" where they push the bounds of these rights. He should be hit with disturbing the peace.
The 2nd Amendment has no restriction that gun carriers must be defer to whatever fears the public may get seeing them. If he did nothing other than carry the gun in, it's not disturbing the peace because shoppers over-reacted to the sight. That is not his problem. Now, if he said something or moved in some way, pointed the gun, sure. But just walking around. No way. It's the law. We must respect the law.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Maybe Walmart is the new starbucks where all the armed populace can sling AR's on and prove their "rights"?

If so, this is a good thing. After all, I'd rather keep starbucks a bit less fearful and some of those guys look like them smell bad.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The 2nd Amendment has no restriction that gun carriers must be defer to whatever fears the public may get seeing them. If he did nothing other than carry the gun in, it's not disturbing the peace because shoppers over-reacted to the sight. That is not his problem. Now, if he said something or moved in some way, pointed the gun, sure. But just walking around. No way. It's the law. We must respect the law.
You can disturb the peace by just saying words.

Imagine someone walking into a wal-mart and saying allah ahkbar really loudly. Or doing this on a plane (with no guns). This is disturbing the peace even though taken individually, both things they did are protected by the constitution.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Stupid thing to do but since it is legal in Missouri to open carry it is likely that the guy did not break any laws. If he was "brandishing" the firearm as opposed to carrying it on a sling he is in legal trouble. If the store had a "guns prohibited" sign on the door then BOTH the idiot and the firefighter were equally guilty.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Guessing this nut job didn't vote for Hillary....

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Hea...528602951.html

The Springfield Police Department arrived on scene within three minutes of the call. Police stated that a young white male, appearing to be in his twenties, pulled up to the Walmart, where he donned body armor and military fatigues. Police say the man had tactical weapons.

Police then say the man walked into the Walmart: Neighborhood Market where he grabbed a cart and began pushing it around the store. Police say the man was recording himself walking through the store via a cell phone.

The store manager at the Neighborhood Market pulled a fire alarm, urging people to escape the store.

Police say the man then made his way out an emergency exit where a former firefighter held the man at gunpoint. At that moment Springfield Police arrived on scene and detained the man.

The Springfield Police Department could not confirm the nature of statements said by the man to those inside of the Walmart, but they do confirm that the man had loaded weapons, and over one hundred rounds of ammunition.
Why the hell do you have to start your thread off like that?

Old 08-09-2019, 06:46 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You can disturb the peace by just saying words.

Imagine someone walking into a wal-mart and saying allah ahkbar really loudly. Or doing this on a plane (with no guns). This is disturbing the peace even though taken individually, both things they did are protected by the constitution.
Yeah, but there is no report that I have seen that he said anything. Walking around with a gun is not disturbing the peace in and of itself. People in Missouri have that right under law. What is so hard about this? And hollering Allahu akbar is not a crime anywhere, anytime. It is an expression of religious devotion and nothing more. Like a Christian yelling Praise Jesus. There is no threat implied though some people might infer one. Those people are wrong and have no more right to jump the person who said it than the vigilante fireman who pulled a gun on a guy who was doing nothing illegal.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:01 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I know, these pesky rights! Just like a few Congresspeople calling for laws to ban negative speech against them. Go, Democrats!
Sounds like we agree. So why are other people here so upset, saying they would have shot him? If it means that some snowflakes feel threatened, they should just stay away from Wal Marts. Or grow a pair and arm themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies