U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is responsible for your safety?
The government 4 7.14%
The police 2 3.57%
The politicians 0 0%
Other gun owners 0 0%
I donít know but not me. 1 1.79%
I am responsible for the safety of my family and myself. 49 87.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:18 AM

67,040 posts, read 34,082,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
99.99% of car rides don't end in accidents - - why have airbags? Why have seatbelts?

I don't understand the idea behind why responsible gunowners wouldn't want to make sure that irresponsbile people have a harder time getting guns. Does that small bit of inconvenience really bother you that much?
Low estimation of 500 million guns in the USA. 99.99% of guns have never been used by a person to kill another person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The vast majority of firearm sales go through an FFL dealer with a background check and form 4473 (Fed). So gun owners already pay extra, and go through the bureaucracy to purchase a gun. What we fear, and it has happened on the State level, that government puts up so many barriers and increases cost so much it becomes PROHIBITIVE. Look at NY, CA, MD< NJ, CT, RI, HI, IL, and other states.
That my friend is a privilege, not a personal right. If you must first ask your government, for what is suppose to be a right, it is only you that has consented to making it a privilege.

Old Today, 11:21 AM

19,139 posts, read 9,735,907 times
Quote:
None of my property is responsible for purposefully killing 14,000 people per year.
Automobiles kill 30-40k a year.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
So you are saying that the government has no obligation to keep out illegal immigrants that might be a threat to my safety and has no obligation to fight a war with an invading army and has no obligation to stop terrorists like the 9/11 acts?

That makes no sense since it does all those things. Maybe they have no "obligation" but they do it anyway. We obviously have the FBI, prisons, police forces at city, county and state levels across the country, so maybe this lack of obligation is just a theoretical thing, and in all actuality the government does spend billions to keep Americans safe.

I think this whole argument is just being used as a justification for owning guns. But why do you need such justification since SCOTUS has already sided with gun rights people?
No, that is not what Warren v. DC says.

Old Today, 11:23 AM

3,805 posts, read 2,506,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
None of my property is either and I'm armed for bear.
Good thing you're not a schizophrenic, child abuser, person with a criminal record, etc.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you don't have fear, why are you here in fear arguing that you fear other peoples guns.
I'm not. I'm tired of lunatics who believe Jade Helm. It's not happening.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Would you say that people who are schizophrenic are irresponsible? Somebody who has used a gun to commit a crime in the past? Somebody who has harmed children in the past?
Those people should not be walking the streets. Period. In the past, they would be swinging by the neck, on Sunday afternoon.

If you walk freely in society, you as a human have every right to defend yourself how you see fit, including the right to bear arms.
Blame the dumb ass that let them free. There is your threat to society in the future.

Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Automobiles kill 30-40k a year.
Not purposefully.

Old Today, 11:27 AM

19,139 posts, read 9,735,907 times
Quote:
Good thing you're not a schizophrenic, child abuser, person with a criminal record, etc.
Why do we allow them to roam our streets?

Old Today, 11:27 AM

7,097 posts, read 2,576,314 times
Quote:
The same could be said for all manner of property that would be bad to be in the hands of a schizophrenic, child abuser, felon, etc. Steak knives, pointy end scissors, leather belt, sharp stick, etc. Any of those outlawed or buried under mountains of red tape to acquire, simply because a schizophrenic, child abuser or felon might get their hands on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies