U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 AM

7,283 posts, read 7,911,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
As a long time Floridian (originally from NM) the/our greatest fear is Florida becomes the next California. There's a pattern and it troubles me. Texas is also facing the same pattern.
Lived here for 10 years. My biggest concern is hoodrats from Duval spreading to other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:05 AM

3,123 posts, read 4,454,951 times
Well criminals have always been a concern... no matter where or when. However some are a bit more brazen since the outward attacks on law enforcement.

To your point, Florida is the #1 state for concealed carry. For the naysayers when they pop in.... those with CCP have the lowest crime rate of any identifiable group, even lower than law enforcement. No need to fear that stat.

Practice makes perfect, 3-3-3. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM

7,835 posts, read 4,461,996 times
Southern WA is the real tax haven. No state income tax. Low property tax. No sales tax across the river. Low insurance costs. Choice of affordable and very conservative to the east or still cheap for the west coast and semi-conservative to the west. Mild weather. My whole family is in Florida but I can't take the humidity.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Southern WA is the real tax haven. No state income tax. Low property tax. No sales tax across the river. Low insurance costs. Choice of affordable and very conservative to the east or still cheap for the west coast and semi-conservative to the west. Mild weather. My whole family is in Florida but I can't take the humidity.
I have to say that the humidity is starting to get to me. We're debating whether to stay in the school another 5 years until the youngest graduates or look a bit north to Tennessee or thereabouts.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 PM

4,134 posts, read 734,283 times
The impact of the 2017 limit on SALT deductions is going to be substantial over time. IIRC the top income tax rate in California is now 12.3%. Before you could deduct that from your federal income taxes, but no more. If you have an annual income of, say, $5 million, that's over $600,000 per year you're paying to the state, vs. 0 in FL or WA.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM

38,197 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most of them are rich. They own multiple homes, and have insurance to cover any potential posses. Having money buys your way out of most of the worries the poor and middle class struggle with.

If they see a Hurricane forecast for their area, they jet back to their other residence until the all clear is sounded.

If their place floods, they call their insurance agent to tell them to handle it, and then they jet off to their other place to live until its all cleaned up. This also gives the Misses an opportunity to redecorate the entire place.

Poverty...probably less than what they saw in the places they came from.

Traffic...probably less than the places they came from.
"Most of them are rich. They own multiple homes, and have insurance to cover any potential posses. Having money buys your way out of most of the worries the poor and middle class struggle with."

And you talked PERSONALLY talked with EVERY SINGE ONE OF THEM and asked about their finances!

I live in 1 of the biggest growing counties in the country and I hate to burst your jealous bubble but, you haven't a CLUE!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM

16,893 posts, read 4,434,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well criminals have always been a concern... no matter where or when. However some are a bit more brazen since the outward attacks on law enforcement.

To your point, Florida is the #1 state for concealed carry. For the naysayers when they pop in.... those with CCP have the lowest crime rate of any identifiable group, even lower than law enforcement. No need to fear that stat.

Practice makes perfect, 3-3-3. Always be aware of your surroundings.
The state has double the crime rate of many....

Are you saying it would be 4X as high if it wasn't for all the guns?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:39 PM

16,893 posts, read 4,434,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I have to say that the humidity is starting to get to me. We're debating whether to stay in the school another 5 years until the youngest graduates or look a bit north to Tennessee or thereabouts.
Florida was developed as a winter getaway.

Most people raised in temperate climes cannot handle those heat indexes month after month...

A lot of retired Floridians spend 4-6 months in the North (Mts. of NC all the way up to Maine).....

I lived in TN for 3 years...Summers were extremely hot but there is a lot longer of a period where you can be outside.....

One guy I spoke to recently lives near Hilton Head (I have family there also). He said - and I looked it up to confirm - that he can stand it for 8 months of the year. But those other 4 are brutal.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Florida was developed as a winter getaway.

Most people raised in temperate climes cannot handle those heat indexes month after month...

A lot of retired Floridians spend 4-6 months in the North (Mts. of NC all the way up to Maine).....

I lived in TN for 3 years...Summers were extremely hot but there is a lot longer of a period where you can be outside.....

One guy I spoke to recently lives near Hilton Head (I have family there also). He said - and I looked it up to confirm - that he can stand it for 8 months of the year. But those other 4 are brutal.
It's really only about 2 months of the year that are really bad in north Florida, but they are a really bad 2 months.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM

15,538 posts, read 17,923,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The impact of the 2017 limit on SALT deductions is going to be substantial over time.

After 2025, SALT deductions return. The tax plan has an expiration date. Corporate tax cuts don't expire but the rest of the tax changes expire after 2025.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or