U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM

30,455 posts, read 16,754,421 times

Advertisements

How many are collecting public pensions and then flee the high taxes they helped to create?

IMO cops and firemen from high tax "up north" love the low tax sunbelt staes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 AM

867 posts, read 231,935 times
People are dumb. Someone has to pay and it's the general population. There are no high tax low tax areas.
The collection points and definitions of the collection are what change.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 AM

11,018 posts, read 10,689,660 times
Sure, I might be able to save a bit of money on tax... but it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good if I were dead due to heat stroke. You couldn't pay me enough to even visit Florida. Now, if I were to be able to get those big tax breaks in say... southeast Alaska, or northern Maine, or UP Michigan, etc... we could talk.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM

634 posts, read 182,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post
Sandy, the most recent example, damaged coastal NY and NJ as bad as any FL hurricane. And that came just a year after Irene, which knocked out power to much of NYC and Long Island for over a week.

New Yorkers moving to Florida are not phased by threat of hurricanes.
Umm witch part of NYC was knock out of power for a week???? i was in queens then manhatten and every thing was good power wise after the storm hit!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM

11,362 posts, read 10,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Where did he make his Billions? If he made them in NJ and NY then pay up.

Have no problem with people moving after they make their money but don’t work in NYC and complain about taxes when it gives you access to business deals that generate serious cash.
He is a Hedge Fund guy. He can do that from anywhere.

But I disagree with the “pay up” attitude. People should do whatever financially works best for them, as long as it is legal. If you want to stop this kind of thing from happening, states have to be competitive with other states. If there is a large enough imbalance, one state will lose and the other will gain.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM

11,018 posts, read 10,689,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
People are dumb. Someone has to pay and it's the general population. There are no high tax low tax areas.
The collection points and definitions of the collection are what change.
Is that why I pay $12 a year tax on one property (about a quarter acre) in one area and over $1000 on the other (at about .09 acres) in another area? Sure thing.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 AM

7,267 posts, read 7,904,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It might be different if they were the self reliant, get the govt out of my life freedom loving type, but I suspect they are more like termites, demanding to be fed the same services they fled, but at a lower/no tax rate.
People complain about illegals invading, but the home grown welfare cases are probably worse because they think they have some birthright to their neighbors money.
This. I live in NE Florida (not Jax, but close) and my county is one of the fastest growing. The most common complaint I hear from northern transplants is the lack of services. Services which we've never needed here, but which they can't seem to live without.

Between the calls for more tax paid services and the number of busybodies moving here, my wife and I are seriously considering a move in the next year or two.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM

10,373 posts, read 8,254,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He is a Hedge Fund guy. He can do that from anywhere.

But I disagree with the “pay up” attitude. People should do whatever financially works best for them, as long as it is legal. If you want to stop this kind of thing from happening, states have to be competitive with other states. If there is a large enough imbalance, one state will lose and the other will gain.
Hedge fund guys. Must be nice for him to get the carried interest deduction. Remember Trump saying he was going to get rid of it? How is that going?

Some hedge fund guys are venture capitalists. Some are parasites (Lampert comes to mind) This country desperately needs to 1) Prevent these people from writing their own laws, especially where taxes come in and 2) figure out a way to tell the difference between the capitalists and parasites and tax the parasites hard.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Makes sense for him but small detail. 150 million / 8.93 top tax rate = 1.68 BILLION. IN ONE YEAR. Someone making a billion+ a year... cry me a river.
When I was young and poor, I used to think that to someone who made $1M a year, $10k or $20k must mean nothing to them. But you know what? When you make that much money, $10k or $20k is still a lot of money. I have no reason to believe that it becomes any different when you are talking about $150M. I am sure he still considered that a lot of money. And in the end, he was throwing that money away, unnecessarily. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hedge fund guys. Must be nice for him to get the carried interest deduction. Remember Trump saying he was going to get rid of it? How is that going?

Some hedge fund guys are venture capitalists. Some are parasites (Lampert comes to mind) This country desperately needs to 1) Prevent these people from writing their own laws, especially where taxes come in and 2) figure out a way to tell the difference between the capitalists and parasites and tax the parasites hard.
This guy made his fortune after the housing meltdown. He basically just bought up everything that the government said it was going to prop up. Bought bank, insurance company, auto stocks, etc, at pennies on the dollar. They all came back and are worth a lot now. I don’t think he is a parasite. He is just a smart guy who saw an opportunity. I remember him saying, “The government told us all what it was going to do. I just listened.”

We agree on the carried interest deduction. It should be eliminated. But as long as it isn’t, I don’t hold it against anyone who uses it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or