Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,719,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Where did he make his Billions? If he made them in NJ and NY then pay up.

Have no problem with people moving after they make their money but don’t work in NYC and complain about taxes when it gives you access to business deals that generate serious cash.
That was the whole premise behind "you didn't build that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It might be different if they were the self reliant, get the govt out of my life freedom loving type, but I suspect they are more like termites, demanding to be fed the same services they fled, but at a lower/no tax rate.
People complain about illegals invading, but the home grown welfare cases are probably worse because they think they have some birthright to their neighbors money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This. I live in NE Florida (not Jax, but close) and my county is one of the fastest growing. The most common complaint I hear from northern transplants is the lack of services. Services which we've never needed here, but which they can't seem to live without.

Between the calls for more tax paid services and the number of busybodies moving here, my wife and I are seriously considering a move in the next year or two.
YES. Please don't move here to escape taxes yet expect the same number and/or quality of government services that you received in your other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Florida property tax is lower than the national average. Sales tax is average BUT groceries and prescription drugs are exempt. A huge savings.

So this theory of yours does not pan out.
While most grocery items are exempt, quite a few people move here and complain endlessly about the prices at the dominant grocery chain here compared to what they had in their old state. It irks them even more that this chain consistently ties with places like Wegmans and Trader Joe's in several lists for the best grocer in the country. Just go peek around Florida forum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This issue with Florida is always the same. A great place to live once you have established an income or career.

But

It is a tuff place to start your career for many. Just not enough jobs outside the service industry to support the young adult population. So I always remind friends that want to move to Florida that: Yes, you can move here but your children may need to relocate to find good paying work if their industry is not Service or construction of some sort. And the schools here are crap for the most part which has caused some companies to avoid relocating to Florida. There is a reason you don't see a ton of Corporate Headquarters in Florida given the weather, good roads, low taxes, governors that give away the kitchen sink to business, and beaches.
THIS. I am glad to see others say this now. Come to Florida after you've spent your life building a career somewhere else. I wonder if that tide will ever change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I sure hope they know about the flooding, the hurricanes, the poverty, the traffic and all the other stuff that H&H complains about before they get here!

I live 200 miles inland in PA, the two biggest disasters in my area were Agnes in 1972 and Lee in 2011. Lee actually would have been worse but they had recently completed a levee raising project. Just for some perspective hurricane Agnes at the time was the most costly US disaster to date.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,614,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
That was the whole premise behind "you didn't build that."

YES. Please don't move here to escape taxes yet expect the same number and/or quality of government services that you received in your other state.

While most grocery items are exempt, quite a few people move here and complain endlessly about the prices at the dominant grocery chain here compared to what they had in their old state. It irks them even more that this chain consistently ties with places like Wegmans and Trader Joe's in several lists for the best grocer in the country. Just go peek around Florida forum....

THIS. I am glad to see others say this now. Come to Florida after you've spent your life building a career somewhere else. I wonder if that tide will ever change.
I know exactly which chain you are talking about, and I refuse to shop there. They are overpriced, actually.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 14 days ago)

14,486 posts, read 9,546,566 times
As a long time Floridian (originally from NM) the/our greatest fear is Florida becomes the next California. There's a pattern and it troubles me. Texas is also facing the same pattern.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,182,476 times
Over 900 people PER DAY are moving to FL based on the latest report.

My advice: buy land.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,576,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
As a long time Floridian (originally from NM) the/our greatest fear is Florida becomes the next California. There's a pattern and it troubles me. Texas is also facing the same pattern.
Too late. It already can take 4+ hours to drive the 1.75 hours to Orlando from Tampa.
The waters are polluted with poo and runoff. The Gulf in our area is 70% dead (off Sarasota). The County admits spilling a BILLION gallons of poo - that doesn't include ag runoff, fertilizer, red tide and phosphate tailings and a lot of other stuff....plenty of cattle poo too. The bays and gulf are super shallow so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to note that it's easier to destroy a 5 foot deep bay then one 50 feet deep (and cold).

This is what happens with bad government (bad planning). Any money going into Florida feeds the same mill (development, ag, pollution, traffic) with zero plans to make things better.

I remember asking years ago on the Florida boards why you couldn't take a train from the west coast of Fl to the east coast. I actually had people insulting me...that I would even SUGGEST that the millions of people going back and forth have other options (older people cannot easily drive, avoiding traffic is good, etc.)....

I think Florida is a perfect example of what happens with the lack of proper values.

There are some glimmers of hope ,but the state is decades behind due to R. Scott terminating all the various clean-ups that the residents voted for (Everglades related).

It may be better in 100 years IF the people finally get to speak. Up until now the lack of voters (too many seasonal and old folks who really don't care about the future) has made it so the Government simply does what the Developers want them to.

There are new cities of 1/2 million or more on the drawing board and nothing to stop them. How long will it then take to drive to Orlando?

These are not the marks of a modern civilized society. Florida is already overpopulated and the best hope would be for them to institute building moratoriums until the systems are in place to keep it clean.

Not sure why so many would want to crowd in with 22+ million others in the few places that are 15+ feet above sea level.....but the dream always continues.

Heck, I know a lot of people who still go to CA. thinking it the New World and a blank slate! That one ended in about 1950. No doubt FL and TX will be completely screwed up because neither are very good at planning. There are already massive traffic jams between Austin and San Antonio, but gosh darn it....I'm going to drive my 14MPG giant Pick Me Up til the Glory Guy takes me up.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,576,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Over 900 people PER DAY are moving to FL based on the latest report.

My advice: buy land.
If one is not connected they will likely be unable to build on that land....so my edit to your statement would be "buy lots that are already approved in areas closer to the water"....(if anything).

Many of the lots in places like Rotunda were sold many decades ago and are still empty today.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 14 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Too late. It already can take 4+ hours to drive the 1.75 hours to Orlando from Tampa.
The waters are polluted with poo and runoff. The Gulf in our area is 70% dead (off Sarasota). The County admits spilling a BILLION gallons of poo - that doesn't include ag runoff, fertilizer, red tide and phosphate tailings and a lot of other stuff....plenty of cattle poo too. The bays and gulf are super shallow so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to note that it's easier to destroy a 5 foot deep bay then one 50 feet deep (and cold).

This is what happens with bad government (bad planning). Any money going into Florida feeds the same mill (development, ag, pollution, traffic) with zero plans to make things better.

I remember asking years ago on the Florida boards why you couldn't take a train from the west coast of Fl to the east coast. I actually had people insulting me...that I would even SUGGEST that the millions of people going back and forth have other options (older people cannot easily drive, avoiding traffic is good, etc.)....

I think Florida is a perfect example of what happens with the lack of proper values.

There are some glimmers of hope ,but the state is decades behind due to R. Scott terminating all the various clean-ups that the residents voted for (Everglades related).

It may be better in 100 years IF the people finally get to speak. Up until now the lack of voters (too many seasonal and old folks who really don't care about the future) has made it so the Government simply does what the Developers want them to.

There are new cities of 1/2 million or more on the drawing board and nothing to stop them. How long will it then take to drive to Orlando?

These are not the marks of a modern civilized society. Florida is already overpopulated and the best hope would be for them to institute building moratoriums until the systems are in place to keep it clean.

Not sure why so many would want to crowd in with 22+ million others in the few places that are 15+ feet above sea level.....but the dream always continues.

Heck, I know a lot of people who still go to CA. thinking it the New World and a blank slate! That one ended in about 1950. No doubt FL and TX will be completely screwed up because neither are very good at planning. There are already massive traffic jams between Austin and San Antonio, but gosh darn it....I'm going to drive my 14MPG giant Pick Me Up til the Glory Guy takes me up.
Are you lonely, broke or bored?

Old 08-14-2019, 09:32 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,156,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
That is really odd. I've lived in FL for decades and never ever heard one single person mention that, nevermind being worried about it. Perhaps it is your greatest fear, but please don't speak for the rest of us.

Floridians have much bigger problems to worry about such as rising waters, polluted waterways and an overabundance of guns in the hands of a-holes and the mentally ill.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Lol... the voice of a concerned citizen, from your couch.

You want more free stuff... right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies