U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 08:36 AM

10,516 posts, read 6,374,206 times

Advertisements

Remember the days of seeing rifles/shotguns hanging in racks through the back windows of pickup trucks ? And many times in high school parking lots...

How times have changed. I'm not really a fan of open carry, if others choose to do it, so be it. Walking around with a rifle slung over ones shoulder is just someone looking for attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 AM

14,478 posts, read 11,751,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Remember the days of seeing rifles/shotguns hanging in racks through the back windows of pickup trucks ? And many times in high school parking lots...

How times have changed. I'm not really a fan of open carry, if others choose to do it, so be it. Walking around with a rifle slung over ones shoulder is just someone looking for attention.

I have carried open before but I much prefer concealed. Others doing so doesn't bother me. You get used to it around here. A lot of people do it. But it tends to freak out tourist, who are mostly from CA, and they hit 911 a lot when they see it.

One of the local clubs here used to do a gunfighter show up ay Virginia City. They haven't been able to do it in a while now. Virginia City has been taken oe by the artsy, moon child, Californicators. They got a Sheriff in up there that is from San Fran and he put a stop to all the cowboy historical stuff. I was in a reenactment club for a long time that used to do things in Virginia City.

We were told that we were no longer allowed to wear our gun belts in town any more as well as the gunfighters and other clubs. That "made people (meaning Bay area tourists) nervous." Used to be whenever I went to VC I would always put on my period historical clothes including my gun belt and sometimes my saber as well (I was a cavalryman) but now I haven't been to VC in a long time.

People use to go there for the history and would always ask for pictures with those of us dressed in 19th century garb. Even if we had a gun belt on. It was part of the ambiance. Not so much any more.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:04 AM

10,014 posts, read 4,706,337 times
I have opened carry a few times, but mostly on my way to the range.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 AM

37,694 posts, read 16,330,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Does anybody think that the right to open carry should be restricted to hand guns only?
Is there a reason I don't understand for needing a rifle of any kind to be toted around in public?
"Is there a reason I don't understand for needing a rifle of any kind to be toted around in public?"

"If you have to ASK THE QUESTION, you would NOT UNDERSTAND THE ANSWER!"

Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM

27,046 posts, read 11,357,300 times
Quote:
Does anybody think that the right to open carry should be restricted to hand guns only?
No. Because of "shall not be infringed"
Quote:
Is there a reason I don't understand for needing a rifle of any kind to be toted around in public?
A mentally ill man killed 5 officers in Dallas a few years back. A rifle would have come in handy.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,367,115 times
Quote:

I grew up in Carolina. Yep, pick up with dog in the back and shotgun and/or rifle hanging in the back window. On occasion the AR15 hanging in the back window. Imagine how long that would last now.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have carried open before but I much prefer concealed. Others doing so doesn't bother me. You get used to it around here. A lot of people do it. But it tends to freak out tourist, who are mostly from CA, and they hit 911 a lot when they see it.

One of the local clubs here used to do a gunfighter show up ay Virginia City. They haven't been able to do it in a while now. Virginia City has been taken oe by the artsy, moon child, Californicators. They got a Sheriff in up there that is from San Fran and he put a stop to all the cowboy historical stuff. I was in a reenactment club for a long time that used to do things in Virginia City.

We were told that we were no longer allowed to wear our gun belts in town any more as well as the gunfighters and other clubs. That "made people (meaning Bay area tourists) nervous." Used to be whenever I went to VC I would always put on my period historical clothes including my gun belt and sometimes my saber as well (I was a cavalryman) but now I haven't been to VC in a long time.

People use to go there for the history and would always ask for pictures with those of us dressed in 19th century garb. Even if we had a gun belt on. It was part of the ambiance. Not so much any more.
What a shame...this country is going to look drastically different in 50 years.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I grew up in Carolina. Yep, pick up with dog in the back and shotgun and/or rifle hanging in the back window. On occasion the AR15 hanging in the back window. Imagine how long that would last now.
A SWAT team and news chopper would be all over you in a heartbeat, and they'd shoot your dog.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:29 PM

14,478 posts, read 11,751,914 times
Quote:
What a shame...this country is going to look drastically different in 50 years.

It aleady does. That people are intimidated by seeing living history is a telling thing. I haven't done reenactment in quite a while now. An VC is just ruined. Now these Californicators are working on the rest of the state.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 AM

37,694 posts, read 16,330,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Even big cities like Wash, DC had school sponsored GUN CLUBS in school and the kids would take their rifles slung over their shoulder with them, stick it in a corner until after school.

In MANY places, NOT just in the "hicks", during hunting season kids would take their rifles INTO school with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies