U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:21 AM

66,873 posts, read 30,593,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is something I don't understand about Medicaid. Apparently, you can keep your own home if you live in it. But as I understand it, you can't have more than $2,000 in savings to qualify for Medicaid. So how do you pay your property taxes, utilities, and upkeep of the house if your can't accumulate some savings? This is not a comment, I'm just wondering if anyone understands how this would work if the couple had paid off their house over the years, had no mortgage, but was very low income.
Most, if not all, communities have "circuit-breaker" style property tax limits/reductions for senior citizens and/or the disabled. For example, where I live, seniors and the disabled are taxed on only 1/2 their property's assessed value. Around here, that would make the property tax on a $1 million home only $3,000/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:23 AM

4,358 posts, read 1,617,315 times
Quote:
This is something I don't understand about Medicaid. Apparently, you can keep your own home if you live in it. But as I understand it, you can't have more than $2,000 in savings to qualify for Medicaid. So how do you pay your property taxes, utilities, and upkeep of the house if your can't accumulate some savings? This is not a comment, I'm just wondering if anyone understands how this would work if the couple had paid off their house over the years, had no mortgage, but was very low income.
Do you have a link for this? I take phone calls for NYSOH, and have processed hundreds of applications, and NOWHERE on the NYSOH financial assistance application does it say anything about savings. In fact, right in the question about "other income" it states "we don't ask about your assets or resources." Never was mentioned in the classroom training, either.

Are you confusing MediCAID with MediCARE?

Old Today, 08:25 AM

45,544 posts, read 36,616,675 times
Quote:
Well, this is part of planning for your senior years. My inlaws made me crazy because they totally missed their window of opportunity to move from their 3000 square foot home on three acres out in the middle of nowhere. They TALKED about moving, they thought about moving, but they didn't move. And then, one day, it was too late. He had a massive heart attack and she had Alzheimer's. And where they were living became everyone else's problem - just like we knew it would. The house was over 30 years old. The acreage needed upkeeping. The utilities were not cheap because the house was too big for two elderly people. It was ridiculous and it really bothered us that they couldn't seem to see this coming, though we could. They should have sold that place and moved when they were in their 60s, but shoulda coulda woulda, right?

So you have to consider how you are going to manage and pay for wherever you live, and the time to start thinking about that is not in your 70s - it's in your 50s or MAYBE 60s. It's BEFORE retirement, not afterward.

But to address property taxes:

1) In many states, seniors can freeze their property taxes at age 65 or so or they qualify for other tax benefits.

2) You can pay property taxes by the month.

Upkeep - that's another reason to plan accordingly before retirement.

Utilities - those should be able to be paid by the month as well, and once again, plan accordingly.

And all seniors qualify for MediCARE, but I understand you were talking about MediCaid.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You mean MediCARE, not Medicaid. If you are over 65 you can't be on Medicaid without also being on Medicare.
What I stated is correct. Along with Medicare (which quite clearly STILL leaves people with very high medical bills), one can also be enrolled in Medicaid.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

45,544 posts, read 36,616,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What I stated is correct. Along with Medicare (which quite clearly STILL leaves people with very high medical bills), one can also be enrolled in Medicaid.
People need to purchase a MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY. These policies are a lot less expensive than paying what Medicare doesn't cover.

Between Medicare and my parents' supplemental policy, they had very, very few medical bills, and they both had expensive, debilitating medical conditions the last few years of their lives. Multiple surgeries, hospitalizations, ambulance trips, tests, prescriptions, etc.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 5,090,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not necessarily.

Remember, this was an elderly couple in their late 70's, and they were from a generation in which many, if not most, people considered it shameful to not be able to pay one's bills and just as shameful to apply for any kind of "welfare" or "charity". (I am 65, and I also feel that way to a very large extent.)
I feel no shame to collect (never collected yet but shame will be the last on the list of my feelings). That's how dog eats dog system running only to benefit top parasites falls apart - lower level cogs just tune out and don't give crap before going to the next level. Suicide would be the last thing on my mind in a case like that, at the very least I plan on raking as much "debt" as possible.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

5,364 posts, read 2,849,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
I’m perfectly fine with this... If they both are willing to end their lives then we should be ok with this as a society. People age they get old and life gets very difficult and expensive. Everyone should be held accountable to pay their own way at end of life. I hope they went peacefully and lived full and content lives.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

334 posts, read 81,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Do you have a link for this? I take phone calls for NYSOH, and have processed hundreds of applications, and NOWHERE on the NYSOH financial assistance application does it say anything about savings. In fact, right in the question about "other income" it states "we don't ask about your assets or resources." Never was mentioned in the classroom training, either.

Are you confusing MediCAID with MediCARE?
So far as I know, Medicare doesn't care about assets. Medicaid health care did pre-ACA but became based on your MAGI only (as a multiple of some sort of calculated poverty level).

I think what people are talking about here is Medicaid paying for long term care.

https://www.medicaidplanningassistan...lity-new-york/

Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People need to purchase a MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY. These policies are a lot less expensive than paying what Medicare doesn't cover.

Between Medicare and my parents' supplemental policy, they had very, very few medical bills, and they both had expensive, debilitating medical conditions the last few years of their lives. Multiple surgeries, hospitalizations, ambulance trips, tests, prescriptions, etc.
I agree, but that's the "evil private insurance" part of the picture. For those (most of whom are left-wingers) who don't want to pay for private health insurance or for their health care, they're pretty much screwed if we go the Medicare for All route, as this thread clearly illustrates.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

4,358 posts, read 1,617,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm well aware of that. I work in a NYSOH call center, so I do deal with Medicaid/Medicare calls from time to time.

Also keep in mind that Medicaid is always the payer of last resort. They would only cover services that any other insurance a person has doesn't cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies