U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:48 AM

4,358 posts, read 1,617,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I think what people are talking about here is Medicaid paying for long term care.

https://www.medicaidplanningassistan...lity-new-york/
And that's a subject that I have never had to address in a any of the phone calls I have taken as yet. IIRC they keep cases for Medicaid recipients who need specialized services like that with the LDSS, not the Marketplace.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:49 AM

5,013 posts, read 5,090,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree, but that's the "evil private insurance" part of the picture. For those (most of whom are left-wingers) who don't want to pay for private health insurance or for their health care, they're pretty much screwed if we go the Medicare for All route, as this thread clearly illustrates.
The first thing I would look in a private insurance is rock bottom minimum number of the old farts on it. I bet private insurers feel the same way, hopefully our lord Trump will take care of all regulations restricting business decisions, and good luck to you and your private insurance. Many old people feel that social darwinian rigors should be applied only to the working age cogs making up the difference between what geezers pay in premiums and what they collect. I want to remind that in the social darvinian business scheme of things geezers are to be tossed in a garbage pile first.

Last edited by RememberMee; Today at 09:30 AM..

Old Today, 09:21 AM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
The first thing I would look in a private insurance is rock bottom minimum number of the old farts on it. I bet private insurers feel the same way, hopefully our lord Trump will take care of all regulations restricting business decisions, and good luck to you and your private insurance. Geezers feel that social darwinian rigors should be applied only to the working age cogs making up the difference between what geezers pay in premiums and what they collect. I want to remind that in the social darvinian business scheme of things geezers are to be tossed in a garbage pile first.
Am I misunderstanding you, or is "geezers" your name for all old people?

Old Today, 09:24 AM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People need to purchase a MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY. These policies are a lot less expensive than paying what Medicare doesn't cover.

Between Medicare and my parents' supplemental policy, they had very, very few medical bills, and they both had expensive, debilitating medical conditions the last few years of their lives. Multiple surgeries, hospitalizations, ambulance trips, tests, prescriptions, etc.
It never even occurred to me NOT to take out the highest level of Medicare Supplement Policies I could. Right now, I am paying an extra $300 per month between Medicare Part B and the supplement, but after reading so much about the high cost of medical care, I would think that I would be absolutely stupid NOT to do that as long as I could afford it at all. (I do know that, unfortunately, many people could not afford an extra $300 a month, though.)

Old Today, 09:31 AM

5,013 posts, read 5,090,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Am I misunderstanding you, or is "geezers" your name for all old people?
I edited my post to clarify the term.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

334 posts, read 81,425 times
Quote:
It never even occurred to me NOT to take out the highest level of Medicare Supplement Policies I could. Right now, I am paying an extra $300 per month between Medicare Part B and the supplement, but after reading so much about the high cost of medical care, I would think that I would be absolutely stupid NOT to do that as long as I could afford it at all. (I do know that, unfortunately, many people could not afford an extra $300 a month, though.)
(note: I'm not an expert at this, so YMMV)

My own take for those who aren't in the minority cohort with ongoing and highly expensive health issues, is to get a high deductible Plan F (the deductible appears to be a wash vs the higher premiums of the normal variety) and a cheaper Part D. For the drug plan, my understanding is that if you don't get it, there's a charge for turning it on at an older age. When you do have some expensive drug needed, dial in a particular plan that is best suited to it during a re-enrollment period.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

4,912 posts, read 2,379,696 times
F is going to be fazed out - so people will have to take G. Doing my homework early and between my husband and myself - our medical will cost about $700-$800 a month alone for A,B,D, and G - but I'd rather pay a bit more and not get bit with thousands of dollars of medical bills like my parents did when my dad had open heart surgery as they had a low cost Medicare HMO.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

45,544 posts, read 36,616,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree, but that's the "evil private insurance" part of the picture. For those (most of whom are left-wingers) who don't want to pay for private health insurance or for their health care, they're pretty much screwed if we go the Medicare for All route, as this thread clearly illustrates.
Well, it's what we've got right now and it beats the heck out of going into massive debt or foregoing necessary medical care.

What a lot of people don't realize is that many countries who have single payer systems or socialized medicine also have supplemental insurance because their country's government provided healthcare doesn't cover everything either.

Old Today, 10:16 AM

Quote:
And the prices vary by location and other factors. My mom paid $500 every quarter ($167 a month) for what they call a "Cadillac plan" and everything - everything - was covered, and she had a LOT of serious health issues.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
(note: I'm not an expert at this, so YMMV)

My own take for those who aren't in the minority cohort with ongoing and highly expensive health issues, is to get a high deductible Plan F (the deductible appears to be a wash vs the higher premiums of the normal variety) and a cheaper Part D. For the drug plan, my understanding is that if you don't get it, there's a charge for turning it on at an older age. When you do have some expensive drug needed, dial in a particular plan that is best suited to it during a re-enrollment period.
I think you're right about this.

For some crazy reason, my dad did not opt for PRESCRIPTION DRUG COVERAGE when he chose his levels of Medicare coverage for he and my mom. I mean, honestly, what the heck is that about?

But he didn't - so he and my mom were both penalized every year in some way, I don't remember exactly what but they could not add it on without some significant penalty at a later date.

But that being said, between Medicare and their insurance supplement, just about all their medical costs were covered,including prescription drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies