U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,405 posts, read 14,142,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
this is a tragedy..I realy feel for the old couple

but to change the direction of the subject for a second

if they were having all these problems and high bills with actual mecicare..what are the average Americans going to face with medicare for all??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

25,170 posts, read 9,805,080 times
Quote:
You didn't read the article. One was murdered, for one thing. Secondly, uncontrolled medical bills played a role in their demise.
That's a legal classification: murder.

If I give you permission to kill me then you do in fact have permission to do so. I'm talking natural law (reality) not the government's mumbo jumbo.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

58,280 posts, read 41,218,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many postings before we see a "Trump's a racist and that contributed to this"?

Well, IF you really want to bring Trump into the conversation it'd be more appropriate to the subject of healthcare costs to bring up the FACT that he promised time after time after time that he would put a "far better than the ACA" plan in place soon after taking office and has utterly failed to any such thing.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

66,873 posts, read 30,593,966 times
This whole scenario makes no sense. If the elderly couple was so destitute that they couldn't afford their medical bills, they'd have already been on Medicaid.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

17,008 posts, read 22,357,123 times
Quote:
What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
At some point America needs to decide between putting money or people first. Until that time we will continue to have tragedies other western nations largely don't have, be it this case or the mass killings.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This whole scenario makes no sense. If the elderly couple was so destitute that they couldn't afford their medical bills, they'd have already been on Medicaid.
Not necessarily.

Remember, this was an elderly couple in their late 70's, and they were from a generation in which many, if not most, people considered it shameful to not be able to pay one's bills and just as shameful to apply for any kind of "welfare" or "charity". (I am 65, and I also feel that way to a very large extent.)

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 09:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

401 posts, read 154,855 times
This is a sad trend among older couples, generally where the husband is the authority figure but I've personally seen it happen where the wife was not subordinate. There were a rash of these elder murder-suicides years back in my previous state, rural small town.

The one that shocked me the most was a healthy couple (to the eye) in their late 60's. Husband killed their beloved dog and his wife in her sleep and then suicided himself. Was it money problems? I'll never know. Their grown children and grandchildren were blindsided (I assume) but who knows what his temperment was in private. He never seemed angry in public and she was not the type to put up with mistreatment unless he had some form of dementia and she felt needed.
I will always remember her smiling face and wonderful personality and wonder "why?".

Not starting a political OT but access to guns makes these decisions final. Men and guns, dangerous at all ages.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

58,280 posts, read 41,218,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
this is a tragedy..I realy feel for the old couple

but to change the direction of the subject for a second

if they were having all these problems and high bills with actual mecicare..what are the average Americans going to face with medicare for all??

Nobody ever said Medicare was perfect but what's the better path, leave it be, improve it or abandon it?

Personally, I think it far past time Congress gets off its lazy ass and allows Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices as well takes a good look at coverage. I for one would like to hear the 'logic' of paying for a flu shot every year while not paying for a one-time shingles shot yet paying for hospitalization due to shingles?

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. Just that many people/agencies dropped the ball. There were many ways they could have gotten help. Where was the couple's family and friends? Did they not know of their troubles? And did they have Medicare? What were the bills that were going unpaid? And the big question, who killed who? Did the husband kill the wife, or the reverse? The article suggests the husband killed the wife.
I don't know all the details, of course, but MANY old people do not have family and friends close by. And even if they did, although they could have had Social Service intervene, I am not sure how much help they would have received.

And even if they did have friends and relatives who knew, depending on their circumstances, they might not have been able to help financially without going into debt or damaging their own financial security.

In any case, this is just one more example of why the entire healthcare system in the U.S. needs to be seriously overhauled.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

13,842 posts, read 8,691,688 times
Quote:
You didn't read the article. One was murdered, for one thing. Secondly, uncontrolled medical bills played a role in their demise.
That's what they SAY, but I'm retired and we take care to keep ourselves well insured. It's not that expensive.
People will find all sorts of reasons to do what they do, and all sorts of people to blame. How long did it take before we heard about "senseless wars" with regard to the root cause of this crime? Yes, murdering one's spouse is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies