U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

22,715 posts, read 11,705,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You didn't read the article. One was murdered, for one thing. Secondly, uncontrolled medical bills played a role in their demise.
Most likely anassisted suicide. Bypassed the doctor. He would have been charged with practicing medicine without a license if he had lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

10,175 posts, read 8,169,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not a very compassionate person compared to most people, I think, but compared to people who think as you do . . .
He is one of the few with the guts to say what many on the right are thinking.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

32,518 posts, read 60,133,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many postings before we see a "Trump's a racist and that contributed to this"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's what they SAY, but I'm retired and we take care to keep ourselves well insured. It's not that expensive.
People will find all sorts of reasons to do what they do, and all sorts of people to blame. How long did it take before we heard about "senseless wars" with regard to the root cause of this crime? Yes, murdering one's spouse is a crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The article also does not mention what the "severe medical issues" were. Maybe not wanting to put up with them any longer was a big contributor to their decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Should have planned for the future. Not society’s position for those who don’t plan properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bc they found bills?

Did the people ever say this word for word?

People are too easily manipulated by headlines.
So nice to see the outpouring of empathy here!

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Well, this is the politics forum. I should have expected it

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

12,077 posts, read 5,763,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The article also does not mention what the "severe medical issues" were. Maybe not wanting to put up with them any longer was a big contributor to their decision
The article says little about any of it. Neighbors said the wife had advanced Alzheimers.
In the best of circumstances, many know very little about their options for Alzheimer patients.
In a little town like Ferndale - that's not even close to "best" of circumstances. I'm not even sure that town has a Doctor - found several Dentists and an Acupuncturist, but no Medical Doctor.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

25,172 posts, read 9,805,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
People are encouraged to spend down their assets or transfer them to their kids etc. which is likely what many of those people did.

So, what do you want from "the govt." in this case? Many of those have no significant assets and don't have family that is able or willing to care for them. Do you want the govt. to take more from Soc. Security and then just make nursing homes paid for regardless of assets?
You have to transfer five years prior to going into the nursing home. It used to be 3 but Sammy got wise and greedy(ier).

Some transferred, others didn't. Regardless, it's a deceptive and immoral tactic by the government...even by its standards.

I simply want the government out of it. The rules are in place to steal from these folks or place a huge burden on them to hide as much of their money as possible. And when I say "hide" I literally mean Depression-era tactics of moving a large stone in your basement to find cash. They can go after anything and everything. Some say safety deposit boxes inside banks are safe but in recent years, you guessed it, Sammy has been nosing around those too.

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/03/...-confiscation/

Again, I feel sorry for those who believe in the government (and the health care industry is the government by extension) who don't understand that you are only putting money in and not getting anything out.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You included me in that list.

There is nothing immoral or illogical about taking one's own life. I will firmly defend that position as a natural right.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Most likely anassisted suicide. Bypassed the doctor. He would have been charged with practicing medicine without a license if he had lived.
Correct.

The State handles the killing. It doesn't need any help from us.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You included me in that list.

There is nothing immoral or illogical about taking one's own life. I will firmly defend that position as a natural right.
Agreed. Murder is immoral under almost all circumstances.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

20,471 posts, read 12,241,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
That’s so sad. Many moving to Mexico etc to survive these costs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies