Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:13 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
They died at 76 and 77, which is decades longer than I expect to live.
Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 06:26 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?

The government can fix it and add that to the list of freedoms lost.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:22 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
this is a tragedy..I realy feel for the old couple

but to change the direction of the subject for a second

if they were having all these problems and high bills with actual mecicare..what are the average Americans going to face with medicare for all??
There is this thing called price negotiation in capitalism.
We need people in government to negotiate prices down.

Instead, what we have our people in government protecting the industry and their outrageous prices.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:30 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not necessarily.

Remember, this was an elderly couple in their late 70's, and they were from a generation in which many, if not most, people considered it shameful to not be able to pay one's bills and just as shameful to apply for any kind of "welfare" or "charity". (I am 65, and I also feel that way to a very large extent.)
If they were having problems paying medical bills, that's when the billing office steps in and guides them through enrolling in Medicaid.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I don't see how this incident advances the medicare for all argument, since presumably this elderly couple already had medicare...
Exactly.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?

The controversy is WHY they felt the need to do so. No one should feel they have to kill themselves because they can't afford to pay medical bills.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How do you know what they planned or didn't plan? Maybe a catastrophic illness wiped them out? Maybe they were in the stock market trying to plan for the future, but got wiped out during the recession. You have no idea what they planned or didn't plan for. It's not all cut and dried like you think it is.
How is that possible? They were on Medicare. So much for Medicare for All. Many will still end up with medical bills they can't afford to pay.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What sources do you have for your statement and please explain how any of that has a thing to do with this couple?
You are kidding. How many times do I have to post my "sources"? I've done it multiple times. May I also add that I live in CA - where they want to give illegals FREE healthcare. They already get a ton of help. And let me add, since you clearly missed it the first 5 times I have posted this:

In CA, they don't count illegals when they give out welfare. So, this is what happens:

A legal resident applies for welfare. The 2 illegals that they have living in their house are not counted as income, even though they get income. So the legal resident gets the welfare, the illegals bring money in under the table, and they live fat off of the hog - meanwhile, we have actual citizens who don't get any help when they need it.

The illegals also get benefits for their multiple kids that they bring in or spawn. The kids get free lunch at school. And around here, they drive a van around with lunch, for free, but it's NOT for any actual citizen. Next time I'll take a photo just to appease you and your need for "sources" that everyone in this state can see, but you won't find written down anywhere. And let's not forget about the E/R. Or do you need photos and audio of that, too?

Old 08-10-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This whole scenario makes no sense. If the elderly couple was so destitute that they couldn't afford their medical bills, they'd have already been on Medicaid.
You mean MediCARE, not Medicaid. If you are over 65 you can't be on Medicaid without also being on Medicare.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The legacy of Obamacare.
ACA has nothing to do wirh this. They should have been under Medicare, and people over age 65 are NOT eligible for an ACA plan with financial assistance whether they have Medicaid, Essential Plan or Advanced Premium Tax Credit; in fact, they are sent Marketplace notices 45 days before they turn 65 that they will be disenrolled from whatever plan they are in once they turn 65. They can keep Medicaid under Fee For Service, but ONLY IF they also enroll in Medicare. Medicaid can actually help to pay their Part B premiums - it's called the Medicare Insurance Premium Plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies