Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:01 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Murder is a legal term. I try to avoid using it.

If the spouse that died first agreed to be killed that is not murder.
I get what you're saying but I want to point out that if the wife did indeed have advanced Alzheimer's, she couldn't agree to be killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,661,277 times
We have a health, or more accurately, a sick system of care in the US. Patients are ping ponged between their insurance companies, including Medicare advantage plans, and the medical providers. i.e., a patient, a senior, may go to an ER seeking help and be admitted to the hospital. Medicare pays in full after five days, but the patient is given the boot prior to five days costing them a $300/daily copay, and then told to come back if they have problems. The problem is that the patient is seldom over the original cause of admission and returns for another pocket picking of $300/day. Most working Americans don't have $400 they can put their hands on. Seniors trying to survive on Social Security are making the choice between meds, food, rent, utilities, etc., everyday. Medicare payments are rock bottom and hospitals are trying get as much out of the patients as they can.

I have met many seniors flat broke, busted, and some homeless. I met one couple in their 70's at a rest stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall of the year. I thought they were there for the foliage but I soon learned that they were homeless due to medical bills and would drive from rest stop to rest stop during the day taking turns while one slept. During the night they had to keep moving because the police would not allow them to sleep in their car. Sleeping in your car in your twenties isn't bad, but sleeping in your car in your 70's is torture. BTW, that couple wasn't feeling sorry for themselves. They were doing the best they could with a smile on their faces.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,240,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I get what you're saying but I want to point out that if the wife did indeed have advanced Alzheimer's, she couldn't agree to be killed.
It's tough. Consent requires having your faculties. Probably best to hash these issues out ahead of time when the mind & body are firing on all cylinders...or at least a fair amount of cylinders where you can decide such matters.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 PM

3,191 posts, read 2,451,059 times
Like rkcarguy, this happened in my county. There were many comments in the FB page of the local news media. This shook up many people including ourselves.

I am speculating, but they may have had limited funds, especially if the wife was a SAHM, and only received ½ of her spouse’s SSA. Home prices and therefore, property taxes and insurance, are escalating due to growth. They may have had no reserves remaining.

There is a facility in Bellingham fairly close to Ferndale that specializes in Alzheimer’s. A friend’s mom is there and she told me it is over $5000 per month. Thankfully, my friend and her husband are well off enough to pay for her care.

There are many factors to consider and their deaths and the reasons are a sad commentary on our attitude toward health care and the elderly.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,829,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What sources do you have for your statement and please explain how any of that has a thing to do with this couple?
Illegals cost us billions a year. They are an absolute net loss. That is a simple fact. The argument can be made that the resources used to deal with illegals and supporting their children, could be used elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,804,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unless she had an agreement beforehand.

Of course it would still be illegal but imo morally correct.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 PM

50,076 posts, read 46,646,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What sources do you have for your statement and please explain how any of that has a thing to do with this couple?
Ever been to an ER? An ER with a separate line for those with insurance and one without and the "without" line is all in Espanol. Probably a coincidence.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,804,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Like rkcarguy, this happened in my county. There were many comments in the FB page of the local news media. This shook up many people including ourselves.

I am speculating, but they may have had limited funds, especially if the wife was a SAHM, and only received ½ of her spouse’s SSA. Home prices and therefore, property taxes and insurance, are escalating due to growth. They may have had no reserves remaining.

There is a facility in Bellingham fairly close to Ferndale that specializes in Alzheimer’s. A friend’s mom is there and she told me it is over $5000 per month. Thankfully, my friend and her husband are well off enough to pay for her care.

There are many factors to consider and their deaths and the reasons are a sad commentary on our attitude toward health care and the elderly.
The simple solution is to allow foreign workers. I’ve got nieces from the Philippines who would love to care for my wife who suffered a traumatic brain injury but it looks like I’m retiring to the Philippines instead.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,711,085 times
The right wingers on this board won't give two s***s about this. Some of them will even celebrate it as the right decision. Can't afford healthcare? Take yourself out of the picture. Everyone wins. That's how they think.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,068,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This whole scenario makes no sense. If the elderly couple was so destitute that they couldn't afford their medical bills, they'd have already been on Medicaid.
This is something I don't understand about Medicaid. Apparently, you can keep your own home if you live in it. But as I understand it, you can't have more than $2,000 in savings to qualify for Medicaid. So how do you pay your property taxes, utilities, and upkeep of the house if your can't accumulate some savings? This is not a comment, I'm just wondering if anyone understands how this would work if the couple had paid off their house over the years, had no mortgage, but was very low income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies